Sunday, November 19, 2017

A man accidentally shot himself and his wife at an east Tennessee church on Thursday while he was showing off his gun during a discussion on recent church shootings, police said. Elder members of First United Methodist Church in Tellico Plains were cleaning up about 1 p.m. after enjoying a luncheon held to celebrate Thanksgiving. They began talking about guns in churches, according to Tellico Plains Police Chief Russ Parks. A man in his 80s pulled out a .380 caliber Ruger handgun and said, "I carry my handgun everywhere," according to Parks. He removed the magazine, cleared the chamber, and showed the gun to some of the men in the church. He put the magazine back in, apparently loaded a round in the chamber, and returned the gun to its holster, Parks said. "Somebody else walked up and said, 'Can I see it?'" Parks said. "He pulled it back out and said, 'With this loaded indicator, I can tell that it's not loaded.'" He pulled the trigger.

Comments

So close to a Darwin nomination. Missed it by 'that much'.

#1 | Posted by Whizzo at 2017-11-18 08:28 AM | Reply

It suddenly occurs to be that i've never seen a church that holds Mensa meetings.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-11-18 08:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

If you must have a handgun, buy a revolver. This doesn't happen with revolvers. I only own two guns, for sport: an SKS Commando assault rifle made in Czechoslovakia ($250 bucks - couldn't pass it up) and a Remington twelve gauge pump action with interchangeable barrels (short for home defense, long for skeet).

I've fired maybe five thousand rounds (probably more) in my life, and I've only seen two gun accidents outside of the military. One was a round cook-off in a Vietnam era M2 carbine where the round exploded while my friend was trying to clear it, and the other was an automatic pistol that nobody thought was loaded because the magazine wasn't in it. But there was a round chambered.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-18 09:00 AM | Reply

HaHa GOD is a prankster.

#4 | Posted by patron at 2017-11-18 10:03 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat

So 1 accident (the exploding round) and 1 case of negligence.

This church shooting was an act of negligence. The fact it went in one side of his wife's abdomen and out the other alone says it is life threatening but combine it with the age I am guessing she is and it is doubly so.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-11-19 10:56 AM | Reply

He can tell it's not loaded right after he finished loading it? I suppose he drives, too.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-19 11:03 AM | Reply

80 years old and carrying a gun everywhere?

Man is senile.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2017-11-19 11:14 AM | Reply

80 years old and carrying a gun everywhere?

Man is senile.

Posted by Tor at 2017-11-19 11:14 AM | Reply

He probably has a permanent wilt now. So he has to carry around his manhood everywhere to feel emotionally secure.

#8 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-19 11:16 AM | Reply

It's funny when Darwin works his magic in a Church.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-19 02:05 PM | Reply

I don't think most people, including gun owners have any idea how to use them.

I like them in movies. The good guy takes down an armed bad guy and takes his pistol from him. The 1st thing the good guy does is chamber a round.

Either the bad guy was somehow firing an unloaded pistol or they were walking around sort of armed but not really..

#10 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-19 02:16 PM | Reply

I don't think most people, including gun owners have any idea how to use them.

I think that's partly, but not entirely true. A lot of people buy guns because they like shooting, so they are well aware of how to use them.

Others buy guns because they think having a gun means they are armed and protecting themselves and their "stuff". These people may or may not know how to use them.

Still more, and these are the ones who scare me, buy them as jewelry to go with their giant watch. They have pretty guns with lots of decorator "mods" and engraving. They post pictures of their pretty guns on forums and refer to their gun as "she", or "her". They likely do not know how to use them, and they are the ones most likely to "accidentally" shoot themselves or others showing off their pretty toy.

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-19 02:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Last Thanksgiving I watched a fool play with a pistol.

He gets paid by the government because he's got some weird pooping problem. It's weird, because he also wants to end "wasteful government spending."

Anyway, this -------- had this ritual that he went through every time he went to the bathroom. He would remove the magazine, eject the round he had chambered, pick up up and put it in the magazine, put the magazine back in the pistol, chamber a round, engage the safety, walk to the can.

I don't know if he thought a wild turd was going to attack him or what, but what a tool.

#12 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-19 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Last Thanksgiving I watched a fool play with a pistol."

I thought maybe that was a euphemism.

Actual story is somehow more creepy.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2017-11-19 04:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yap.

He's a true **** stick.

27 or so, able bodied, lives off of SSI because he poops his pants and all that.

Buys his AR-15s and what not with that gubment cheese that he votes against people getting.

#14 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-19 05:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@ MRSILENCEDOGOOD

Spend thanksgiving somewhere either he or his guns aren't.

That guy is a fatal accident waiting to happen.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2017-11-19 05:38 PM | Reply

I've said it before and will repeat it here:

-if you have to bring a gun to church, you're going to the wrong church
-if you are afraid if dying while in God's house, you're doing your religion wrong

#16 | Posted by catdog at 2017-11-20 08:22 AM | Reply

I will try not to laugh at the stupid. But it's not easy.

#17 | Posted by cbob at 2017-11-20 09:53 AM | Reply