Friday, November 17, 2017

An Ohio lawmaker who routinely touted his Christian faith and anti-LGBT views has resigned after being caught having sex with a man in his office. Wes Goodman, who is a Republican state legislator for Ohio, is married to a woman who is assistant director of an annual anti-abortion rally known as March for Life. ... "I was alerted to details yesterday afternoon regarding his involvement in inappropriate behavior related to his state office," [Republican House Speaker Cliff] Rosenberger said in a statement. "I met with him later in the day where he acknowledged and confirmed the allegations.

Comments

This stuff simultaneously makes my day, but makes me feel bad for the person. So self-loathing he goes full blown Republican. They definitely need some mental healthcare.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-17 03:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

I see your point but can't feel bad for the guy. Anti-LGBT lawmakers do a lot of damage to LGBT people who just want to live openly and have the same rights as straight people.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-17 03:47 PM | Reply

So self-loathing he goes full blown Republican.

#1 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Phrasing...PHRASING!!!

#3 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-17 03:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

Sorry but he is scum. Closet cases are the absolute worst. NO SYMPATHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-17 03:50 PM | Reply

If people want to be closeted gays then fine. It's nor more my business that someone is a closeted gay than being gay in the first place.

It's all their own business.

but an outspoken anti-LGBT legislator? what a complete douchebag.

It's amazing how hard folks work to live in denial.

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2017-11-17 03:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

It's just politics Eberly.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-17 03:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I didn't see in the article exactly how anti-gay he's been. I saw who he worked for and a statement or 2 and his social media pages...but what legislation or policy has he pursued that was harmful to gays?

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2017-11-17 04:03 PM | Reply

I almost always assume that Repub politicians who make a point of being anti-gay are most likely gay.

That assumption has a sizeable amount of evidence backing it thus far.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-17 04:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg

There are several of the same type on this site every day.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-11-17 04:15 PM | Reply

People who are secure in their own person don't feel the need to lash out like this. I am a heterosexual male. It is not something i decided. it is just something that is. I am not attracted sexually to men. There is nothing anyone could say or do to me that would make me be sexually attracted to men. There is nothing that anyone said or did to make me attracted to women. I assume it is the same for everyone. They are attracted to who they are attracted to. It isn't a decision they make. If people are attracted to other people of the same sex it does not offend or threaten or affect me in any way. If two men who are attrated to men find each other and make each other happy then that's great. The world is a better place when people are happy. If another man was attracted to me I would be flattered, not offended. I wouldn't "try it" though because I am not attracted to men. I believe like almost every other trait it is a spectrum. Some people have blonde hair some have brown, some have every shade in between. some people are mostly attracted to people of the opposite sex but partially attracted to the same sex.

I think most of the people who are militantly anti-gay are at in the gray area. They are at least partially attracted to the opposite sex, they have been taught that they "should" be attracted to the opposite sex, but they are also at least partially attracted to the same sex and that scares the bejeezus out of them. They are so afraid that someone will find out that they mask it behind the outward presentation of hatred. They hope that somehow if they act anti-gay loudly enough it will make their own attraction to the same sex go away.

Just like I can't make myself not be attracted to women, they can't make themselves not be attracted to the same sex

#10 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-11-17 04:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

I'm pretty certain everyone that is openly homophobic is a closeted homosexual with no self worth. Otherwise, why would they care so much about others' sexuality?

#11 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-17 04:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

But honey, I was only doing a little opposition research!!!

-Wes Goodman

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-17 06:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Personally, that's been my observation over the years about men and their opinions about homosexuality.

I think Shakespeare said it best,

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

What he meant was people who talk about something the most are the ones with it on their mind the most.

#13 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-17 07:47 PM | Reply

Well that is one way to prevent abortions.

#14 | Posted by bored at 2017-11-17 08:01 PM | Reply

The story behind this story:

How a conservative group dealt with a fondling charge against a rising GOP star

On a fall evening two years ago, donors gathered during a conference at a Ritz-Carlton hotel near Washington to raise funds for a 31-year-old candidate for the Ohio legislature who was a rising star in evangelical politics.

Hours later, upstairs in a hotel guest room, an 18-year-old college student who had come to the event with his parents said the candidate unzipped his pants and fondled him in the middle of the night. The frightened teenager fled the room and told his mother and stepfather, who demanded action from the head of the organization hosting the conference.

"If we endorse these types of individuals, then it would seem our whole weekend together was nothing more than a charade," the stepfather wrote to Tony Perkins, president of the Council for National Policy.

"Trust me . . . this will not be ignored nor swept aside," replied Perkins, who also heads the Family Research Council, a prominent evangelical activist group. "It will be dealt with swiftly, but with prudence."

www.washingtonpost.com

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-11-17 08:04 PM | Reply

He should've just announced his swing to the dem party.

#16 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-17 08:47 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

What a creeper.

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-17 08:50 PM | Reply

I can't wait until they find the rent boy history for Pence.

#18 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2017-11-17 09:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Rcade,

"Anti-LGBT lawmakers do a lot of damage to LGBT people who just want to live openly and have the same rights as straight people."

Has he been promoting laws that are anti-gay or do you just take offense to his beliefs?

His failure is not proof there is anything wrong with his beliefs.

He is perfectly within his right to believe marriage between a man and a woman is "natural" and to openly profess those beliefs.

His mistake wasn't his beliefs.

His mistake was his hypocrisy.

#20 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-18 10:20 AM | Reply

No his beliefs being crap are proof that his beliefs are wrong.

So long as there isn't a push to force churches to give the sacrament of marriage, religious beliefs are irrelevant in arguing against providing equal legal rights of marriage.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-18 10:44 AM | Reply

Jpw,

"No his beliefs being crap are proof that his beliefs are wrong."

Your logic is lame.

#22 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-18 11:14 AM | Reply

Jpw,

I looked through your posts and I see the word "crap" 3 times in 3 days.

Are you constipated or just fixated on the word?

#23 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-18 11:20 AM | Reply

No one is challenging his right to be an anti-LGBT bigot. We're judging him for that bigotry.

There's a hell of a lot wrong with his beliefs. LGBT people deserve equal rights and equal protection in this country. Goodman was actively working towards passage of Defense of Marriage laws to eliminate gay marriage while pursuing men -- sometimes in predatory, criminal ways. Read the sordid details here and maybe you'll stop speaking up for him.

www.cleveland.com

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-18 12:19 PM | Reply

Are you constipated or just fixated on the word?

I can't help but notice that I'm surrounded by it far too much.

If reality didn't present me with it so often I wouldn't have to mention it so often.

#25 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-18 12:30 PM | Reply

#22 it is if you cherry pick a quote.

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-18 12:30 PM | Reply

Rcade,

"Goodman was actively working towards passage of Defense of Marriage laws to eliminate gay marriage while pursuing men"

That makes him a hypocrite, not necessarily wrong.

You read my posts and know I supported Civil Unions if they were written to provide full legal protection for relationships but I opposed anything that contained the word "marriage".

My opinion was and still is churches will eventually find themselves under fire for discrimination if they permit straight weddings but not gay ones to be held in their sanctuaries. It's only a matter of time before that is challenged and you know it. I am afraid churches will lose. That is why I voted for Trump. I wanted to prevent a liberal from having an opportunity to nominate justices to the Supreme Court.

I am not anti-gay.

That's just the way people use the political processes.

They say, "if you don't agree with everything I say then you are against me".

I have Thanksgiving shopping to do.

Enough for one day.

#27 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-18 12:54 PM | Reply

Some Christian denominations supported slavery, segregation and white supremacy. The Southern Baptist Convention apologized for this ugly part of its past in 1995 (as other denominations also have done).

If it's OK for Christians to hold anti-gay beliefs because that's church doctrine, is it also OK for them to support white supremacy?

The correct answer is that bigotry is not OK just because your church advocates it.

#28 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-18 12:57 PM | Reply

I am not anti-gay.

Your political positions on these issues is strongly anti-gay. You even made it the main issue you voted on.

Most of us who support gay marriage don't care at all whether churches host the ceremonies. We care about equal protection under the law.

#29 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-18 01:01 PM | Reply

"That makes him a hypocrite, not necessarily wrong."

Leaders are expected to set an example. When they suggest certain groups should be treated as second-class citizens, it allows/encourages others to nourish and spout the same concepts. That's not only wrong via our Constitution, but wrong via his Bible as well.

#31 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-18 01:12 PM | Reply

He's an angry person.

Calling out stupidity isn't the same thing as being angry.

Seeing said stupidity in over abundance and its results in DOTUS Trump does tend to make me angry, especially when defending him results in blatant hypocrisy and dishonesty.

I think snoofy said it best, his positions were for political expedience.

What positions would those be and when did Snoofy say that? I missed that gem and could use a good laugh while sitting in this airport bar.

His personal life was something different.

You know nothing of my personal life, so please refrain from speaking about it.

Then again, you seem to know little about most things you speak about, so I have no hope that you'll refrain as asked.

Although I think it's odd you seem to have developed some sort of unhealthy thing about me and my angry bitter existence...

#32 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-18 01:19 PM | Reply

"I am not anti-gay"

If you weren't anti gay, you wouldn't have a problem with gays getting married in your church.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-18 01:39 PM | Reply

Rcade,

"I don't think private churches will be forced to hold gay marriages. The issue of gay marriage has been about legal recognition. Claiming it is about church recognition is a misrepresentation."

That's not entirely what I said or meant.

I am not referring to denominations changing doctrine or pastors being forced to perform gay weddings (though churches may find themselves going that route to avoid law suits)

From my observations, radicals are never satisfied.

Having federally mandated same-sex marriages will not be enough.

Their hatred for Christians will continue to fester in their hearts.

It's only a matter of time.

#34 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-18 11:46 PM | Reply

"It will probably be more along the lines that a gay couple is refused to rent the sanctuary of a church that rents to couples for weddings and decides to take it to court just out of principle."

So, if the blacks or gays or whatever want to get married in your church, why is that a problem for you?

Your church, by offering to rent out their services, has established themselves as a commercial enterprise. They get to play by the rules of commerce when they do that.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-18 11:52 PM | Reply

"It will continue to stick in the craw of some people that much of Christianity does not believe same sex marriages can be God ordained."

It seems to stick in your craw, more than anyone else's.

So much so that you can't stomach the idea of people you "don't hate" getting married in your church.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-18 11:55 PM | Reply

From my observations, radicals are never satisfied.

No kidding. If we let Rosa Parks ride in the front of the bus, next she'll want equal rights in housing and desegregated schools. When will it end?

#37 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-19 09:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

From my observations, radicals are never satisfied.

That's what happens when you have an unpaired valence electron.

#38 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-19 10:09 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I always wonder if these anti-LGBT gay republicans are self-loathing, or if they don't actually believe in any of the anti-gay crap they spout but do it anyway because they know their redneck constituents will vote for that.

#39 | Posted by JOE at 2017-11-19 11:12 AM | Reply

Posted by JOE at 2017-11-19 11:12 AM | Reply

They are closet cases dear. The worst kind.

#40 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-19 11:15 AM | Reply

I don't think they are all closet cases. I think some people in politics are dead inside and say whatever they think advances their career the most regardless of whether they believe it. Though I recognize this flaw more easily in Republicans, some Democrats and independents are just as bad.

#41 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-19 11:27 AM | Reply