Thursday, November 16, 2017

A Texas sheriff posted to Facebook threatening criminal charges against the owner of a white pickup truck with an anti-Trump sticker decal displayed in the rear window.

Fort Bend Sheriff Troy E. Nehls, apparently unaware the First Amendment protects political speech, posted that he obtained permission from a prosecutor who informed him she would file criminal charges of disorderly conduct against the owner of the truck, which says "---- Trump. And ---- you for voting for him" on the back of it.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"I have received numerous calls regarding the offensive display on this truck as it is often seen along FM 359. If you know who owns this truck or it is yours, I would like to discuss it with you. Our Prosecutor has informed us she would accept Disorderly Conduct charges regarding it, but I feel we could come to an agreement regarding a modification to it," the post reads.

Several people replied to the post, which now has over 1,100 shares.

Some criticized the sheriff for his anti-free speech stance.

Others criticized him for not focusing on real crimes, for being petty and for not upholding his oath as sheriff.

Comments

FREE SPEECH Baby.

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-16 08:20 AM | Reply

You can put "****" on a bumper sticker, for all to read? I am so there.

Is et-al here to explain this to us? Because I am pretty sure you can ban obscenity in public forums where children might read it, or something. Like the "seven words" you can't say on the radio or broadcast television. I'm pretty sure you can only do that on subscriber media.

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-16 09:26 AM | Reply

Fight the charges, unknown patriot. I can't fund your legal defense by myself, but I'll make my contribution to it along with 100,000 others.

While we're at it: ---- You, Sheriff.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-16 09:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I am pretty sure you can ban obscenity in public forums

www.seattletimes.com

www.aclu.org

www.youtube.com

www.masslive.com

www.newseuminstitute.org

#4 | Posted by 726 at 2017-11-16 09:47 AM | Reply

The ACLU has already stepped up and offered to defend this truck owner on 1st amendment grounds.

BTW, how big of a snowflake is this sheriff? It is amazing how the "PC is evil" crowd suddenly is offended by the smallest things.

#5 | Posted by 726 at 2017-11-16 09:49 AM | Reply

That is very, very good to know.

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-16 10:19 AM | Reply

#5 Then why did BLM shut down an ACLU speaker by calling her a Nazi for defending free speech? I'm getting mixed messages here.

I mean, if we could ban hate speech, Trump could ban "Critical Theory" for being racist and sexist. Of course, then we could burn snoofy at the stake like he deserves, but even I think that is going too far....

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-16 10:23 AM | Reply

Ban assault bumper stickers.

How do i explain this to muh kids? I just got done telling them that trucks are boys hence the nut sak hanging off the hitch.

#8 | Posted by mutant at 2017-11-16 10:52 AM | Reply

"#4 Holy crap! You mean I really can tell a cop to ---- off and get away with it?"

cops don't follow the law... so define "get away with it"

hahah

#9 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11-16 11:28 AM | Reply

I have received numerous calls regarding the offensive display on this truck

The Branch Dotardians have to be the biggest gashes on the planet.

#10 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2017-11-17 03:13 AM | Reply

Nothing on first amendment grounds happened.

The person was arrested for an outstanding fraud warrant.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-17 05:32 PM | Reply

Yeah, the DA poured ice water on the Sheriff's First Amendment claim, as he should.

#12 | Posted by et_al at 2017-11-17 06:04 PM | Reply