Thursday, November 16, 2017

The company behind Cards Against Humanity, the self-described "party game for horrible people," has purchased a vacant plot of land on the US-Mexico border, just to get in the way of President Trump's planned wall. Cards Against Humanity harbors no illusions that it'll be able to stop the construction of the wall entirely. But the company has hired a law firm specializing in eminent domain, just "to make it as time-consuming and expensive as possible for the wall to get built," it said on a new website dubbed "Cards Against Humanity Saves America."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The land purchase and the new website are actually part of the kickoff to the company's annual holiday season marketing stunt. This year, for $15, the company will send customers "six America-saving surprises right to your doorstep." The first of those surprises will include a map of the vacant plot on the border, some new cards for the game, and other goodies.

Cards Against Humanity has a history of staging hilarious stunts during the holiday season. Last year, for example, it raised more than $100,000 in donations to finance the digging of a massive hole in the middle of nowhere, for no reason -- like a less costly version of the wall they now wish to stop.

Comments

I'm not saying I'm in favor of the wall. but if I were Trump I'd probably just build it around these people, and leave them on the Mexico side.

#1 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2017-11-14 10:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT

Sad thing is? It's already been done in Brownsville, Texas.

#2 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-11-15 01:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 pretty much exactly what I see happening.

#3 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-15 10:23 AM | Reply

"but if I were Trump I'd probably just..."

If I were Trump I'd probably just kill myself.

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-15 06:23 PM | Reply

If I were Trump I'd probably just kill myself.

Why? If you were donald you would actually believe all that god emperor nonsense.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-15 07:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Reminds me of the motto that The Nature Conservancy used to use a couple three decades ago:

We preserve land the old-fashioned way --- we buy it.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-16 12:41 PM | Reply

Lot of 'conservatives' in favor of Trump applying eminent domain on this land in order for the Federal Government to seize control and implement a wall in the name of national security and safety. I feel that this spells out a great deal of irony amongst modern-day right-wingers. The 'conservatives' are now in favor of extended federal outreach in the form of private property seizure. The 'conservatives' outcry for seizure of this private property truly spells out their hypocrisy and proves there is no logic or reason amongst modern day 'conservatives'. I equate this support from 'conservatives' to seize private property akin to teenage girls being roused up over something they want. True snowflakes and tear-producers. It is disgusting to think that these blowhards encourage and support extended federal outreach in the name of private property seizure. I've even heard that the head of this Company should be jailed! Jailed for purchasing property, I suppose. But again, I've already decided that Trump supporters have long removed logic and reason from their thoughts, actions, and beliefs. There is, on this thread, advocacy of giving away bits of the US of A to Mexico in order to build wall and spite private property owner(s). To that, I again say that Trump supporters have lost all reason and logic as they act like teenage primadonna's. Which then leaves us with the issue of folks brainwashed notion that the government can provide safety and security. Even anti-government conservatives now agree with this and expect safety and security to be provided to them by our government. These folks are not only brainwashed but are attributing things, safety and security, to the government of which it will never provide.

In all reality, I doubt HoC can lose from this acquisition. I doubt they paid over market price; if Trump decides to extend his outreach and seizes private property, the owner(s) will be financially compensated for the acquisition and will essentially break even. So, if anything this company gave itself credit to many and will be better known and more profitable.

#7 | Posted by dragfreedrift at 2017-11-16 01:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Bottom line it's just a PR stunt. A lot of areas the fence is actually WAY on the US Side.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-11-16 02:26 PM | Reply

Not to mention, the Federal Government has a 60' easement along international borders. They can do whatever they want on that border.

#9 | Posted by Daniel at 2017-11-16 02:32 PM | Reply

That easement ain't what you think it is. It's only on public land. www.theodore-roosevelt.com

Private land, which is most of the border, must be bought or condemned.

#10 | Posted by et_al at 2017-11-16 04:45 PM | Reply

Keynes and Galbraith have noted that one way to spur the economy is to dig holes and then fill them (using paid workers of course). We can thus conclude that "Cards Against Humanity" has done more to spur growth than Trump can ever hope to do, since he doesn't even know that Japan has 24 automobile assembly plants in the United States. Before he can accomplish anything useful he will need to get his facts straight.

#11 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-17 08:57 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY DRAGFREEDRIFT

The Preamble to the Constitution pretty much sets out the mission of our government:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Between justice, domestic tranquility, common defense, and general welfare it seems to cover safety and security. If not, what exactly is the purpose of having a government?

#12 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-11-17 03:15 PM | Reply