Tuesday, November 14, 2017

NEW HAVEN, CT (WTNH/CNN) – A homeless man, who returned a lost $10,000 check, is now getting help from the woman who lost it. Elmer Alvarez was surprised when he found an envelope on the ground with a check for more than $10,000 inside while walking in downtown New Haven, CT. But he didn't think of himself or what he could do with the money.

Comments

FTA: The person missing the money was Roberta Hoskie, who didn't realize she'd lost the check until she got a phone call from Alvarez and his friend.

"Service to others is the rent we pay to live on earth, that is true," Hoskie said.

Hoskie recorded her meeting with Alvarez on Facebook Live, during which the man returned the check.

#1 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-14 02:00 PM | Reply

I saw this on local TV news (not WTNH, though). Good story.

A lot more info is here:
www.nhregister.com

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-14 02:20 PM | Reply

Nice to see acts of kindness on DR.

#3 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-14 02:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So he found the check, who was going to cash it for him? Not saying he isn't a nice guy but what good is a check made out to someone else?

#4 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-14 04:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I thought the same thing, danni. I just didn't want to rain on the parade.

He was probably hoping for a "go fund me"... Dirty old bum.

#5 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-14 04:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Hobo" is my favorite blanket term for bums.
A true hobo hangs around railroad tracks though. The stick with the dew rag attached is simply a stereotype and is not necessarily part of a hobo's kit.

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-14 04:40 PM | Reply

what good is a check made out to someone else?

#4 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2017-11-14 04:21 PM | FLAG:

I used to think the same thing till my bank recently explained how they can alter them and take you money.
Honest guy doing what he did.

#7 | Posted by patron at 2017-11-14 06:21 PM | Reply

Although it's a good hearted gesture indeed, isn't it interesting that the rather simple gesture of one person returning something to another person has become newsworthy? Curious how the social landscapehas turned.

#8 | Posted by gvp at 2017-11-14 07:25 PM | Reply

You are correct GVP.

But it makes me wonder, if it had been $10K CASH instead of a hard to forge check already made out to someone else, would we even be hearing about this? And the woman didn't even know the check was missing, that shows how much she cared. Then she throws in the "I used to be on Welfare" awwwww factor for herself. It's almost like he had no incentive to give it back to her, he could have just torn it up, she could get another check I'm sure. The story tries to make it out like the guy had $10K he could actually use.

While it's a good gesture, something doesn't smell right. Too perfect. Sounds made up to me.

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2017-11-15 12:04 PM | Reply