Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Attorney General Jeff Sessions denied he lied or misled Congress about contacts with Russia by people involved in Donald Trump's presidential campaign.

"I have always told the truth, and I have answered every question as I understood them and to the best of my recollection, as I will continue to do so today," Sessions said in prepared testimony Tuesday to the House Judiciary Committee.

Democrats on the panel made clear they would focus their questions at an oversight hearing on revelations by Special Counsel Robert Mueller that appeared to undercut Sessions's sworn testimony at his Senate confirmation hearing in January that he "wasn't aware" of anyone in Trump's campaign making contact with Russians.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Court documents filed by Mueller last month revealed that Sessions -- as a Republican senator who led then-candidate Trump's foreign policy team -- was at a meeting last year where George Papadopoulos, an unpaid adviser, boasted of his Russian connections. Papadopoulos has pleaded guilty to initially lying to the FBI about the timing of his Russian contacts.

Comments

"I now remember" = I got caught lying my ass off.

He also said he would recuse himself of anything dealing with Hillary Clinton. Another lie.

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2017-11-14 12:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"However, Sessions said that despite his lack of clarity on what transpired at the March 2016 meeting, he believes he rejected the suggested meeting with Putin.

"I believe that I wanted to make clear to him that he was not authorized to represent the campaign with the Russian government, or any other foreign government, for that matter," Sessions told the committee.

"But I did not recall this event, which occurred 18 months before my testimony of a few weeks ago, and would gladly have reported it."

A short time later, Sessions was more blunt about his response to Papadopoulos' suggestion.

"At the meeting, I pushed back," the attorney general insisted."

www.politico.com

Funny how he doesn't remember anything other than, "I did-int do it!".

'Oh, what a tangled web we weave... when first we practice to deceive.'

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-14 12:12 PM | Reply

"I don't remember the meeting but I definitely told him not to meet with the Russians" is definitely not an indication of truth telling.

#3 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-14 12:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

People in government should undergo psychological examinations.

Alzheimer's is a hell of a disease.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-14 12:16 PM | Reply

Kelly Ann Conway already explained alternative facts to us.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-14 12:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

No, I didn't lie, I'm really just this incompetent?

Hell of a defense considering his position.

#6 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-11-14 12:34 PM | Reply

More symptoms of Trump Administration amnesia.

I really, really want to believe that there was no collusion with Russia by those in the Trump administration, but this pervasive forgetfulness is making it more and more difficult to do so.

Chumbawamba - Amnesia
www.youtube.com

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-14 12:47 PM | Reply

"I don't recall...(*wink*)

#8 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-14 01:12 PM | Reply

"

#9 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-14 01:13 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-14 01:13 PM | Reply

When did lying suddenly become a sin?

sincerely

The Entire Republican Base

#11 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-11-14 01:18 PM | Reply

He didn't lie. He is just old.

So the lesson children is that if you chair an important meeting you do not have to remember anything that was said to you.

The attorney general of the United States cannot remember important things that were said so why would anyone ever expect little old me to remember anything?

It's the "Jeff Sessions defense". I cannot recall because I am too old to bother remembering such trivial things like meetings and things people say to me!

But, even if he did meet with someone he definitely told them not to get caught colluding!

He is pretty sure of that!

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-14 05:08 PM | Reply

Did he say it depends on what your definition of is is?

#13 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-11-14 08:48 PM | Reply

There's Federalist with his obsessional Clinton deflection.

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-14 08:52 PM | Reply

Jefferson Sheets Sessions
Graduate of the Tommy Flannigan school of 'membering.

#15 | Posted by 726 at 2017-11-15 01:56 PM | Reply