Sunday, November 12, 2017

It is impossible to convey the mixture of heartbreak and fear I feel for him. Donald Trump's election has made it clear that I will teach my boys the lesson generations old, one that I for the most part nearly escaped. I will teach them to be cautious, I will teach them suspicion, and I will teach them distrust. Much sooner than I thought I would, I will have to discuss with my boys whether they can truly be friends with white people.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Incredible .... Many center-left say this is a small minority position, I contend its going mainstream. My question to them is NYT center-left or not? ....

Comments

By the exact logic presented in this article, if you're the parent of white children you should teach tell them "You can't be friends with African American kids because they will be (rightfully) taught that they can never really trust you. And you can't have true friendship without trust".

Racial divisiveness always shoots both ways.

#1 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-12 12:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Way to miss the point, Sully.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 01:10 PM | Reply

Way to miss the point, Sully.

#2 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2017-11-12 01:10 PM | FLAG:

I didn't miss anything. My reaction to the article is what it is. You may not like it but you can't and won't refute anything I said. Additionally, you have no thoughts of your own on the article and your non-specific swipes at others are just a desperate attempt to pretend that you have anything to contribute. Go nip at another ankle, twerp.

#3 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-12 01:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 3

Racial divisiveness always shoots both ways.
#1 | POSTED BY SULLY AT 2017-11-12 12:55 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

You are blind to the position of others.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 01:59 PM | Reply

"but you can't and won't refute anything I said"

You're the Boaz of white people. There's nothing to say about anything to you.

And that's selling Boaz short. He will actually listen to you.

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 02:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"but you can't and won't refute anything I said"

What's to refute?
Trump's election does a lot to normalize racism, yes?
Is this really a thing you disagree with?

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 02:07 PM | Reply

"Racial divisiveness always shoots both ways."

But, does it shoot both ways with the same impact?

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 02:11 PM | Reply

Again, what's to refute, Sully?

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 02:13 PM | Reply

"By the exact logic presented in this article,"

That's a personal attack against the author, right?

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 02:13 PM | Reply

What's to refute?

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2017-11-12 02:07 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Based on my comment, you hinted that there is a "point" that I missed and you didn't. If that were true, you could refute what I said using this "point". You can't do that and won't try. My criticism may not have pertained to the author's justification for her pro-segregationist position but there is certainly nothing I said that would indicate I missed it either. You are a lesser mind who simply doesn't like what I said so you're lashing out. Move on.

#11 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-12 02:16 PM | Reply

That's a personal attack against the author, right?

#10 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2017-11-12 02:13 PM | FLAG:

No, Einstein, that's actually a direct reference to the ideas presented rather than towards the author.

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-12 02:17 PM | Reply

But, does it shoot both ways with the same impact?

#7 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2017-11-12 02:11 PM | FLAG:

No. Which is all the more reason why the idea being presented is counter productive.

#13 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-12 02:17 PM | Reply

Again, what's to refute, Sully?

#9 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2017-11-12 02:13 PM | FLAG:

When playing dumb doesn't work, Snoofy plays "dumber".

You responded to my post pretending it is indicative of me "missing" something. If that were true you could refute the idea I posted. When challenged to do so, you've responded with your "asking inane questions" routine and since that didn't work you have now devolved into pretending none of this happened. Next time you have nothing to say, don't respond to someone else. Save us all the time.

#14 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-12 02:20 PM | Reply

"Trump's election does a lot to normalize racism, yes?"

^
That's the point of the article.

The opinion is being delivered through the eyes of a black mother who hoped things were getting better, but is preparing her son for the worst.

That rightfully makes you angry.
Just not rightfully angry at her.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 02:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Another fraud who has nothing but personal attacks and who won't even bother to try to refute what I said because he knows he can't.
#8 | POSTED BY SULLY AT 2017-11-12 02:12 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Ta da! Proof, right from the jackass' mouth.

Very good son.

#16 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 02:35 PM | Reply

That's the point of the article.
That rightfully makes you angry.
Just not rightfully angry at her.

#15 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2017-11-12 02:28 PM | FLAG:

Save your straw men, Goofus. I'm not angry. I only pointed out that her broad brushed, segregationist response to these negative experiences is counter productive. You have now responded six times without actually commenting on what I actually said. Maybe you don't actually disagree.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-12 02:40 PM | Reply

Some say the price is too high.

#19 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-11-12 02:45 PM | Reply

"By the exact logic presented in this article,"
That's a personal attack against the author, right?

#10 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Don't flail so desperately. It's unbecoming.

#20 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 03:22 PM | Reply

Way to miss the point, Sully.

#2 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Actually, his point is quite valid.

The author of the piece is doing his part to perpetuate racial divisiveness, using broad brush strokes about national politics as his rationale.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 03:39 PM | Reply

Coward.

#18 | POSTED BY SULLY AT 2017-11-12 02:42 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Says the guy attacking a mother over her concern for her child.

#22 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 03:39 PM | Reply

The author is a guy.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 03:44 PM | Reply

My bad on that detail. My point is that some people are worried about where society is right now and where they fit into it.

The current response is mostly along the lines of: your concerns are offensive to me.

#24 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 03:54 PM | Reply

NTY OP: Can My Children Be Friends With Black People?

Discuss why this would be any more appropriate.

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-12 03:59 PM | Reply

What a truly gross opinion piece.

Makes sense Andreà would post it.

#26 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-12 04:04 PM | Reply

#25 that discussion is happening, isn't it? But the words used are different.

#27 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 04:06 PM | Reply

And on multiple fronts too.

That's not how I read it, but...*shrugs*

I think it was/is more a commentary on reactions leading to further fracturing, which in the long run is counter productive.

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 04:15 PM | Reply

This country is really terrible. This is why we need to build a border wall and deport all the illegal aliens. We'll be doing them a favor.

#29 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2017-11-12 04:49 PM | Reply

That's how I read it as well.

It's reinforcing distrust and division.

#30 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-12 05:24 PM | Reply

Think about the story: A parent is looking at the things going on in the country and they are wondering if they have to speak to their child about racism and whether they have to tell the child that they may be a victim of it, possibly with risk of emotional or physical harm.

The reactions are:
Andrea wants to weaponize this statement.
Others see it as contributing to fracturing.

Why is this person not allowed to talk about this?

Why can't the reaction be (if it is the truth): Minorities don't have to worry about this because Americans are good people and the loud obnoxious racists (in charge) are not coming for you. And if they were, I would be part of a group that stops them

#31 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 06:11 PM | Reply

#32 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 06:13 PM | Reply

Think about the marches too. Some carried Nazi flags and Confederate ones. Some dressed in Khakis and golf shirts. They were making a statement that they were representing the average white person. Then a debate was allowed. It was considered the highest of culture to debate whether this movement was okay. These people were talking about bringing back Nazi times. A casual discussion over the life of minorities.

Here, and other places, many good voices spoke out against those filled with hate.

But when it's your life or the life of your child that is at risk, then you may still be worried about what other people are thinking when they look at you.

This is a real concern, not asymmetric warfare meant to attack whites.

#33 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 06:18 PM | Reply

This is a real concern, not asymmetric warfare meant to attack whites.

#33 | Posted by BruceBanner

Probably not. It's part of the indoctrination into the Democrat party.

#34 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2017-11-12 06:31 PM | Reply

Probably not. It's part of the indoctrination into the Democrat party.

---- off, idiot.

#35 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 06:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The author of the piece is doing his part to perpetuate racial divisiveness"

Inasmuch as telling women it's not safe to walk alone at night because they might get victimized by men perpetuares "divisiveness between the sexes," sure.

Do you bristle when parents tell their daughters the world we live in isn't always safe for them? Or that boys can't always be trusted?

Of course you don't. So why should this be different?

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 06:50 PM | Reply

I've seen so many good, supportive comments on here that gave me hope when the nazis were marching.

In return, please understand that the good people have helped some minorities feel like they have the support (of good people) to say that they feel worried about the hate (of hateful people) touching them.

The fact that they can and do say it means they believe in America and the good of Americans.

#37 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-12 07:00 PM | Reply

If in doing so, you basically tell the women that because some men are rapists, throw out some nation wide stats then declare she can't have a true relationship with any man because of it, sure.

I'm not saying that the this father shouldn't talk to his sons about racism and the potential negative interactions or occurrences that they may experience because of it. The error is in the extremity of the lesson they're trying to teach.

#38 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 07:00 PM | Reply

"That is unless you're cool with crossing the street every time you see a black guy walking towards you because you might, you know, get mugged."

Are you not cool with a woman crossing the street if she is walking alone at night towards a group of men?

Because I am.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 07:03 PM | Reply

"I'm not saying that the this father shouldn't talk to his sons about racism and the potential negative interactions "

Is this a special conversation parents of black kids get to have, kind of like there's special advice daughters get?

Because I think it is.

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 07:05 PM | Reply

Why is this person not allowed to talk about this?

They are. Just as we're allowed to criticize them.

Or would you rather we simply read it and not discuss anything?

I assumed it was understood that that is the likely response from most people, just as I don't expect an explicit denunciation of pedophilia from ever poster on a Roy Moore thread because I operate under the assumption that, until proven otherwise, people don't generally support pedophilia.

But the author of this column is a professor at a university in NYC. Is it really so bad in one of the more liberal states in the country that the only option left is no longer attempt to befriend white people?

#41 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 07:05 PM | Reply

Anyway, I'm sure there are good people on both sides.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 07:05 PM | Reply

Because I am.

You're not cool with it? Or you're cool with it. Poorly written.

I think you mean you're cool with her crossing the street. I am too.

I'm also cool with people crossing the street when a black guy is walking towards them at night. Why? Because I've done it. Because they're black? No. Because it's at night and I cross the street for just about anyone walking towards me (yay St. Louis).

#43 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 07:07 PM | Reply

I'm not denying racism exists.

But I see you're slipping into Snoofy mode so have a good evening.

#44 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 07:08 PM | Reply

But I see you're slipping into Snoofy mode...

You mean the unending barrage of question marks?

#45 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-12 07:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You mean the unending barrage of question marks?

And intentional obtuseness to avoid any nuances that makes his seemingly rehearsed arguments not make sense.

#46 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-12 07:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

LOL.

#47 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-12 07:17 PM | Reply

So why should this be different?
#36 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Exactly, but you know darn well if the title and content was flipped . ... it would be deemed racist ...

I noticed you avoided the comparison/contrast, why?

Finally if Clinton had won the election, would this be a topic today? Probably not, why? What fundamentally changed for white kids in the neighborhood? Probably not much if anything ....

#48 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-11-12 08:50 PM | Reply

"Finally if Clinton had won the election, would this be a topic today? Probably not"

I don't know about that. There was a huge uptick in this type of race baiting long before the election, while Obama was still in office.

Someone is funding it, and making money off it.

#49 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-11-12 09:40 PM | Reply

I do not write this with liberal condescension or glee. My heart is unbearably heavy when I assure you we cannot be friends.

There is so much in the article that contradicts itself, it is difficult to believe anything she is saying.

#50 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-11-13 04:55 AM | Reply

This guy actually sounds like a nut-case. How can anyone take him seriously?

Jesus. He needs to talk to either a psychiatrist or a philosopher.

#51 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-13 07:17 AM | Reply

"For instance : Can my children be friends with, say "black people" or "muslims" or any other SJW protected indentity ?"

Institutional racism isn't wielded by Muslims or black people in this country. Quite the opposite, it's used against them.

That is the reason for the so-called double standard. Because racial prejudice is a real thing, and it doesn't impact society equally.

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-13 12:59 PM | Reply

The reason the premise of this is so stupid is because that racism exists, this father is telling his kids to distrust and not be friends with ALL white people. That is so wrong on so many levels. He's even being castigated by other liberal professors over this.

#53 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-13 01:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"If one were to put themselves in the seat of a minority, one might think that a significant and powerful portion of the country has raised up against them.

Maybe. It could also be selection bias from the media as stories that draw a reaction are what they want to sell you."

Well, the fact that the average black household has six cents on the dollar in net worth compared to the average white household suggests to me that a powerful portion of the country has raised up against them. For centuries.

Is it unfair to blame that on all whites?

Probably.

Who to blame then?

If noone is going to name names, then how can blacks know who is safe to trust?

How, or rather why, should a black person trust a white person who doesn't see color as it pertains to privilege?

That would be like trusting a blind person to tell you what color something is. Blind people don't see color.

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-13 01:13 PM | Reply

News flash for Mr. Yankah. Not all white people voted for Trump, not all white people are Trump apologists, and tens of millions of us hate what he's doing to the country. But please keep teaching your children to lump all white people into 1 group and judge us by the color of our skin and not the content of our character.

#55 | Posted by bartimus at 2017-11-13 06:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

No people of color commented on this article?

#56 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-13 10:38 PM | Reply

#56, We're all people of color. Except albinos.

#57 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-11-14 12:03 PM | Reply