Monday, November 13, 2017

President Donald Trump marked his first Veterans Day in office saluting American veterans in Vietnam, home to one of the most polarizing conflicts in U.S. history. Trump on Friday traveled to Danang, Vietnam, site of an American air base during the war, and met with seven vets who had returned to the country where they lost comrades. Thanking the veterans, Trump said: "I got to know them for a few minutes upfront, and they are definitely tough, smart cookies. We like them. I think they like me too."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

[Trump] did not serve but received draft deferments, one attained with a physician's letter stating that he suffered from bone spurs in his feet.

In 2015, Trump derided Vietnam war hero Sen. John McCain, stating his fellow Republican wasn't a "war hero" and adding, "I like people who weren't captured." McCain spent more than five years as a prisoner of war after his plane was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967.

Comments

I'm amazed his bone spurs didn't prevent him from taking the trip.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-12 08:31 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Remember the outrage when President Obama went to Chicago on Veteran's Day instead of Arlington?

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-12 08:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#2 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2017-11-12 08:40 AM | FLAG: | NEWSWORTHY 1: Nothing wrong with a president going to Arlington on Memorial Day, BUT Veterans day is for honoring the living who have served.

#3 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-12 01:25 PM | Reply

He finally went to Vietnam.

And he went there to kiss Vladimir Putin's ass.

#4 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-12 06:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

BUT Veterans day is for honoring the living who have served.

Well, it includes the living.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-12 06:47 PM | Reply

BUT Veterans day is for honoring the living who have served.
Well, it includes the living.

#5 | POSTED BY REDIAL

He is right. Memorial day is for the fallen.

#6 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-13 12:41 PM | Reply

... I think they like me too. ...

Does Pres Trump always have to comment on how much he thinks he is liked by everyone?

What does that have to do with this occasion?

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-13 12:42 PM | Reply

He is right. Memorial day is for the fallen.

And Veteran's Day is for both.

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-13 12:45 PM | Reply

Trump was in Vietnam on Veterans day intentionally.

I'm not sure what his goal was but it was no accident.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2017-11-13 12:57 PM | Reply

For most of our History every word our president uttered and the places they visited and the timing of those visits was carefully considered by numerous people. With this president we have a man who is proud of the fact that he does not think things through. He has lived his life by winging it and writing a check and having someone else clean up his mess afterwards. He doesn't give a thought to how eating an American sourced hamburger with American sourced ketchup while on an official visit to Japan could be perceived as an insult.

#10 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-11-13 01:46 PM | Reply

Damn, next he'll get friendly with another evil/former enemy - Japan - go figure..... ;)

#11 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-13 01:48 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY MSGT

Japan is our current ally and one of our strongest. Naturally trump will do everything he can to reduce that relationship.

#12 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-13 01:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I think Trump is disgusting but I don't begrudge him his bone spurs. With my very low draft number I would have used that dodge if I'd know about it and was able to buy a willing doctor. My father put in two tours in Nam, one during the French war. He assured me that there was nothing over there worth dying for.

#13 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2017-11-13 04:08 PM | Reply

President Bone Spurs. LOL

#14 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-11-14 08:54 AM | Reply

I don't blame him for avoiding Vietnam but to then talk crap about guys who suffered over there is ridiculous. And the people who freak out over NFL players but never held Trump accountable for what he said couldn't be more obvious frauds.

#15 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-14 09:47 AM | Reply