Saturday, November 11, 2017

Hundreds from all over the world are in Cary [North Carolina] this week for the sold-out Flat Earth International Conference. The two-day conference is meant to help "uncover and debunk pseudo-scientific 'facts,'" organizers say. ... "It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to come here," said David Blair, who traveled to the conference from the United Kingdom. "As soon as it was announced, I booked the hotel and bought the ticket right away." Those attending say getting together with those who share their beliefs is a nice change of pace to the ridicule they usually receive. "It's not a way to make friends and impress your family because if they're not willing to look, they're going to think you're crazy," said David Weiss of Connecticut.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

This is the first flat earth conference hosted by Kryptoz Media and Creation Cosmology Institute. ... Beliefs vary within the flat-earth community, but most argue the earth is a disc surrounded by an ice wall.

Comments

God I wish I could have attended this, but I guess I'll just have to wait for the videos to be posted on YouTube from the Flat Earth Video Awards.

I assure you I will post the best one here.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-11 01:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I got to admit it sounds like it would be a real lark to get high and to go to this

#2 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-11-11 03:02 AM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

These people explain gravity by saying the earth is falling up.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-11 07:08 AM | Reply

Who's the sponsor, Pizza Hut?

#5 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2017-11-11 08:47 AM | Reply

I was hoping it was going to look like a Steam Punk convention.

:-(

#6 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2017-11-11 09:38 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I check out Flat Earth videos on YouTube from time to time. And they are very entertaining.

Short on worthwhile information, but long on entertainment.

#7 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-11-11 10:43 AM | Reply

This is no sillier than the global warming deniers.

#8 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2017-11-11 05:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Headline win.

#9 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-11 05:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 10

This really may be the funniest headline I've seen on the front page in a while.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2017-11-11 06:35 PM | Reply

Oh god this explains why there were so many stupid drivers on the road this week.

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-11 06:47 PM | Reply

The flat earthers. Always looking for the ending of things but never the beginning.

#12 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-11 06:56 PM | Reply

Yeah, these loons are a hoot. Their forums are hilarious. The kind of people who believe in crystals and magic rocks.

#13 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-11 10:53 PM | Reply

Great headline!

#14 | Posted by memyselfini at 2017-11-12 12:54 AM | Reply

"The kind of people who believe in crystals and magic rocks.

#13 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM"

And the war on drugs, that Mexicans are taking our jobs, Chem trails, and Reaganomics. All loonies of the same caliber.

#15 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-12 06:29 PM | Reply

And they are still smarter than your average Republican.

#16 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-12 09:01 PM | Reply

How do they explain the fact that it is possible to circumnavigate the Earth? I'm thinking they view the Earth as a big Pac Man level.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-13 11:58 AM | Reply

If the earth is flat how indeed can they gather from around the globe?

#18 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-11-13 05:09 PM | Reply

"I'm thinking they view the Earth as a big Pac Man level."

Sounds retarded, yet it's the theoretical underpinning of Capitalism... :)

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-13 05:20 PM | Reply