Saturday, November 11, 2017

Iran manufactured the ballistic missile fired by Yemen's Shiite rebels toward the Saudi capital and remnants of it bore "Iranian markings," the top U.S. Air Force official in the Mideast said Friday, backing the kingdom's earlier allegations. The comments by Lt. Gen. Jeffrey L. Harrigian, who oversees the Air Force's Central Command in Qatar, further internationalizes the yearslong conflict in Yemen -- the Arab world's poorest country. Saudi Arabia long has accused Iran of giving weapons to the Shiite rebels known as Houthis and their allies, though Tehran has just as long denied supplying them. Riyadh quickly backed up Harrigian's allegations in a statement to The Associated Press. "There have been Iranian markings on those missiles," Harrigian told journalists at a news conference in Dubai ahead of the Dubai Air Show. "To me, that connects the dots to Iran."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Saudi Arabia says it shot down the missile Nov. 4 near Riyadh's international airport, the deepest yet to reach into the kingdom. Saudi Arabia's Foreign Ministry later said investigators examining the remains of the rocket found evidence proving "the role of Iranian regime in manufacturing them." It did not elaborate, though it also mentioned it found similar evidence after a July 22 missile launch. French President Emmanuel Macron similarly this week described the missile as "obviously" Iranian.

Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, said in a statement Tuesday that the July launch involved an Iranian Qiam-1, a liquid-fueled, short-range Scud missile variant. Iran used a Qiam-1 in combat for the first time in June when it targeted Islamic State group militants in Syria over twin militant attacks in Tehran.

Comments

This is a really big deal and combined with the Saudi's telling their citizens to leave Lebanon, has frightening implications for an escalation of the Yemen war by the Saudis.

If this blows up, we could see wide scale war across North Africa and the Middle East, which will make the messes in Syria and Iraq seem minor in comparison.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 02:37 PM | Reply

I don't believe a word of it.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-10 02:48 PM | Reply

Ok, Laura, then where did the missile come from, it's not like the Houthis have decades of missile research under their belt.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 02:51 PM | Reply

And before you say it was a false flag, at least three govenments (the Saudi's, the French and the US) have acknowledged that they tracked a missile launch from Houthi held territory, which missile was shot down by the Saudis.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 02:53 PM | Reply

#1 I've been reading articles on a number of blogs that say a much wider Middle East war is coming. It seems it will Israel and Saudi Arabia combining to fight Iran and it's allies. I've been hearing for a long time Israel actually wanted ISIS to win and make Iraq Sunni again, instead of having to face a Shiite crescent from Iran to Iraq to Syria and Lebanon.

By the way, we can thank Bush for starting this. He's the chimp who destroyed Iraq. Well, it wasn't him (he's too stupid to come up with ideas) - I'm pretty sure it was Cheney and his friends. Bush actually seems like some sort of helpless victim in the whole thing.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-10 06:21 PM | Reply

Bingo.

We were dumb enough then to step in the pile that is the Sunni-Shiite conflict.

Unfortunately, I think we're still dumb enough to step in the same larger, stinkier pile this time.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-10 11:19 PM | Reply

#6 Well, I for one am prepared for the return of Jesus after the Battle of Armageddon. I have plenty of guns and way, way more than enough ammo, some old fishing gear I never use, and some moldering camping gear I haven't used in decades. And I live at the very outskirts of the city, about 300 yards from the city line, so a one mega-ton bomb might not knock my house down if targeted at the center of the city. Also, deer territory is maybe a five mile hike away, and it's in stream and cave territory, and caves mean protection from fallout.

In a limited nuclear exchange, I'm one of the 3% or so who will survive (if I'm not too badly burned and irradiated). Of course, an actual nuclear war where some 20,000 boosted hydrogen bombs go off will leave the Earth a sterilized rock spinning mindlessly into the darkness forever, except maybe for some microbes and deep-sea worms living around undersea volcanic vents.

Also, there is the issue of what Jesus will do. I mean, I was just sinning on the internet a few minutes ago, and growing up I was taught that Christ will return with a sword. So that's pretty bad. But maybe I can hide in a deep enough cave or something.

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-10 11:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

LOL Dude, whatever you're drinking/smoking, take a drink/toke for me.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-11 12:08 AM | Reply

Yeah, I blame the people that manipulated Bush for this. I mean, this is Bush painting a picture of his feet in a bathtub: www.google.com

I think that's how history is going to remember Bush.

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-11 07:18 AM | Reply

Translation: The USA, Israel and Saudi Arabia can attack anyone they feel like. Those they attack have no right to respond. Syria, Iran and North Korea form an axis of evil in spite of the fact that they have not attacked anyone in hundreds of years. The USA, Israel and Saudi Arabia represent the forces of good against evil and the only reason they attack and destroy their enemies is to help them achieve democracy and freedom, like people in Saudi Arabia have. The fact that the Saudi's brought down the world trade center and refuse to reveal how the attack was funded has no effect on official US love for them. Furthermore, Israel's best interests always trumps the best interests of the United States.

#10 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-11 09:22 AM | Reply

I think that's how history is going to remember Bush.

#9 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2017-11-11 07:18 AM | REPLY

Only in the short term. Periodization will kick in eventually. He'll just be a footnote to a much longer view of conflict that will be noted as beginning in 1908 with the discovery of oil in Iran. No different than the Hundred Years War, which is more like 7 wars, plus civil wars.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-11 09:43 AM | Reply

then where did the missile come from?
#3 | RIGHTOCENTER

It fell off of an Iranian truck in the desert. The Jawas found it and sold it to the Houthis.

#12 | Posted by Whizzo at 2017-11-11 10:25 AM | Reply | Funny: 1