Saturday, November 11, 2017

Cake mixes were introduced in the 1920s and boomed in the 1950s, but sales soon leveled off. BBC reports, "The sales numbers gradually plateaued. Most home cooks were still making their cakes from scratch, and the product had reached everyone it was going to reach. ... Even if some people had decided any cake was better than no cake, the persistent sense that something soulless about cake from a box kept many others from embracing it. As they tried to work through this, a man named Ernest Dichter came into the picture. He was a psychologist and marketing consultant, now known as one of the founders of modern consumer behaviour studies and a pioneer of focus groups."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

BBC continues, "Dichter told the cake companies the answer was to take the eggs out of the mix and put them back into the hands of the baker. The problem was that the women who were making the cakes didn't feel emotionally invested enough just adding water, he said. Eggs would make it feel more like baking."

Comments

I prefer to add my own eggs, oil, and milk. I usually buy the one that says 'moist' on the box.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-10 01:13 PM | Reply

Yesrs ago I heard they have you add an egg so it creates the illusion you're actually cooking.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 01:22 PM | Reply

so love is eggs. brlliant.

#3 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-11-10 03:17 PM | Reply

No matter how closely I follow the directions, the cakes I've baked never look like the photo on the box.

They almost always end up crispy on the edges with a giant crack down the middle and all poofy in the center.

So, I switched to boxed cheesecake instead. I know it's a hit because of the empty pie tin spinning on its edge on the counter after dinner.

#4 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-10 03:31 PM | Reply

My Father insisted that my Mother bake cakes from scratch. She got a kick out of using cake mixes to see if he could even tell the difference. As far as I know he never did. What a different world we lived in then.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-10 03:42 PM | Reply

To get a picture perfect cake, take a long bread knife and slice off the top mound from the bottom and middle layer of cake. Use the best looking mound layer for the top layer of the cake.

Use frosting generously as you would 'caulk' to even-up the fit of one layer atop the next. The flat trimmed layers will fit well one atop the other.

You get to eat the mound you trimmed to level the layers, while you ice the cake.

#6 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2017-11-11 02:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So the take away is that women are superficial and easily fooled by marketing gimmickry. Judging by their voting habits I would not disagree.

#7 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-11-12 12:15 PM | Reply