Friday, November 10, 2017

Lawmakers put the finishing touches this week on military funding legislation that contains a provision that stands to significantly benefit Amazon. The amendment, Section 801 of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), would help Amazon establish a tight grip on the lucrative, $53 billion government acquisitions market, experts say. Many legislators in the House and Senate whom The Hill asked about the bill were not immediately familiar with the provision, though some expressed interest and commented later after reviewing Section 801. Those who were familiar with the provision had mixed opinions, but many lawmakers leaned toward supporting it.

Comments

Amazon has world best logistics. Time to outsource and punt thousands of useless military procurement staff.

#1 | Posted by bored at 2017-11-10 12:53 PM | Reply

Amazon is great... just ordered a new tripod head from them five minutes ago.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-10 01:02 PM | Reply

Amazon is a great place to shop but it should not replace competitive bidding for government's purchasing. This is just passing a bill to give a license to steal. I know a thing or two about Amazon, I am a seller on Amazon. I sell items every day on Amazon for more money than you can buy them elsewhere. Be cynical this bill is intended to profit Amazon and we will pay for it.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-11 08:49 AM | Reply

Well looks like I'll never buy anything from Danni on Amazon. Seriously who shops on the internet and pays more than the cheapest price? Amazon is awesome but I don't only buy there the other day I ordered a pilot assembly for 59 bucks less than amazon.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-11 09:37 AM | Reply

Seriously who shops on the internet and pays more than the cheapest price?

Actually, lots of people. Anyone who has ever worked in marketing knows that many people assume that a higher price means higher quality (whether that is true in a given instance, or not).

#5 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-11-11 04:48 PM | Reply

I'm referring to same item not different brands. On some things I am brand loyal and pay more (Tide Free) but if it is the same brand same quantity why would I pay more on one site than another site?

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-11 06:44 PM | Reply

In a lot of cases I will pay more for the item if I can get it sooner. Amazon is crazy fast.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-11 06:58 PM | Reply

I'm referring to same item not different brands.
#6 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

So am I. I know of sellers who sold more of the same item after raising the price.

#8 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-11-11 08:06 PM | Reply

Wow, I'll take your word for it.

I don't know why I'm always amazed at the stupidity of the general population, especially given there was a flat earth convention 20 min. from me this week, but I guess I just have more faith than most people deserve.

That makes sense and I would too if I needed something fast but usually I can wait an extra day or two to save some money. Sometimes shipping will be more than the savings and that will make me pick amazon for a couple bucks more since total cost is less.

#9 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-11 09:34 PM | Reply

In my case it's usually taking a day out of my life and driving 300 miles to pick it up myself.

I'm on the short end of the delivery chain. Amazon can ship me things for $20 when UPS et al want $120 and are not faster.

#10 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-11 09:40 PM | Reply

Dang Redial that sucks I'm 2 miles from a UPS depot and used to work right next door to it always sucked in the mornings cause it blocked traffic on that road. The UPS regional hub is 200 miles away. FedEx regional hub is 90 miles. The USPS sectional center is 1.1 miles from my work currently.

Needless to say most anything I order online is delivered within a week and shipping is rarely over 10 bucks. I might have more respect for Amazon logistics if I wasn't living on the cross section of so many regional hubs heck half your stuff probably passes right by me. :)

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-12 07:20 AM | Reply

Funny thing is UPS doesn't even deliver here... they just put it in the mail.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-12 07:26 AM | Reply

I have a buddy in west Texas that had the same issue.

First time I sent him something he called me after he got it and said don't waste your money on UPS next time, they don't deliver here. Not sure if things have improved since then as I don't send him packages anymore but at the time he had no package delivery to his house from anyone. FedEx would bring it to the local post office and leave it. UPS sent it via USPS and the post office would only deliver as far as the post office. He had to go pick everything up from there.

#13 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-12 05:09 PM | Reply

What drives me nuts is the places that only use UPS absolutely will NOT accept a PO Box in the delivery address, even though that's how I will eventually get it anyway.

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-12 05:25 PM | Reply