Thursday, November 09, 2017

WASHINGTON (ABC7) -- The DC Council has taken a large step towards placing a statue of former Mayor Marion Barry in front of its home.

Comments

Does every mayor get a statue, or do you have to be a prostitute beating crack addict? Fortunately, they will have room for it after they tear down that George Washington statue.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-09 10:56 PM | Reply

The engraved plaque should read: "Tha bitch set me up."

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-09 11:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Beat me to it.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-09 11:06 PM | Reply

I saw the tape.
The bitch set him up.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-09 11:06 PM | Reply

#4 You mean this FBI video, right: www.youtube.com

"Ain't that a bitch!"

You don't know a damn thing about Barry and the prostitute. He's smoking away, and then he tells her they are going to have sex after he gets high, and then the FBI busts him for being a freaking crack addict (along with about half his friends, who they where also investigating) because everybody knows that crack is perfectly harmless and there was no corruption in D.C.

I've had friends who've died from drug abuse. One guy was shooting cocaine. He used to tell me "snort it and waste it, shoot it and taste it". Well, he's dead now. I knew one guy freebasing cocaine that lost his house, car, job, and wife.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-09 11:35 PM | Reply

"I knew one guy freebasing cocaine that lost his house, car, job, and wife."

You knew Marion Barry???

#6 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2017-11-10 02:56 AM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

"You don't know a damn thing about Barry and the prostitute"

I was living in the D.C. area at the time, I lived through the whole thing.

People outside of D.C., and people who don't know much about civil rights, don't know thigns like D.C. only got home rule in 1967 and Marion Barry was mayor for four of the city's six mayoral terms when this went down. So, not knowing that, it's easy to think his supporters sure must have a screw loose to still support this guy.

Also, having the FBI come after you for years, and then nail you with their racist drug war, tends to engender a lot of sympathy from people who are capable of perceiving the multiple layers of injustice at work there.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 03:01 AM | Reply

#7 And... that's why why he was smoking crack with prostitutes. Again.

"ends to engender a lot of sympathy from people who are capable of perceiving the multiple layers of injustice at work there."

Ever think about the injustice to the ---------- prostitutes?

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-10 03:17 AM | Reply

"Ever think about the injustice to the ---------- prostitutes?"

The War on Drugs part, or the getting used by the FBI part because of the first part, or do you not find much justice in the World's Oldest Profession itself?

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 03:42 AM | Reply

#9 You... do know that was married at the time he was smoking crack with the prostitutes he was screwing, right? His wife's maiden name was Effi Slaughter. She was his third wife. They had one son, Marion Christopher Barry, and he died of a drug overdose in 2016.

But hey, he deserves a statue in the name of Social Justice!

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-10 03:59 AM | Reply

He was in fact a Social Justice Warrior.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 04:03 AM | Reply

#11 So... I'm starting to warm up this whole "being a Social Justice Warrior" thing. Where do I get my prostitutes and crack? I know you can turn me on, snoofy. Don't be a bogart.

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-10 04:27 AM | Reply

*warm up to this whole

sigh.

#13 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-10 04:28 AM | Reply

It's racist to bust a black guy caught smoking rock on tape?

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-10 08:56 AM | Reply

You're really not sure if the War on Drugs is racist?

Et Tu, JPW?

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 11:12 AM | Reply

You're really not sure if the War on Drugs is racist?

Double standard much?

#16 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 11:24 AM | Reply

"So if Marion Barry was the white mayor of DC you still would have been okay with him smoking crack with a hooker in a hotel room while his wife stayed at home?"

I don't approve of the War on Drugs, regardless of who it victimizes.
I guess we don't share that opinion.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 11:27 AM | Reply

That is in fact a single standard.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 11:27 AM | Reply

Stop avoiding the question. Your response to JPW was that it was racist to bust a black guy smoking rock on tape. I will make it easy for you:

Do you think it is racist to bust a white guy caught smoking rock on tape?

#19 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 11:42 AM | Reply

I missed this:

I was living in the D.C. area at the time, I lived through the whole thing.

What were you, a zygote?

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 11:44 AM | Reply

What are you, a troglodyte?

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 11:46 AM | Reply

"Do you think it is racist to bust a white guy caught smoking rock on tape?"

I think the policy where guys get busted for smoking crack is racist. This does not necessarily mean every application of the policy is a manifestation of the underlying racist intent. I'm sure you're capable of comprehending this concept if you choose to.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 11:49 AM | Reply

Do you think sentencing disparities between crack and powder cocaine are racist?

Do you even think racism exists in America, and presuming you do, why can't you accept that the War on Drugs is one example?

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 11:52 AM | Reply

Since JPW's question wasn't about the policy but the "application of the policy" (i.e. actually busting a guy for smoking crack with a hooker), I will put you down for a "maybe."

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 11:52 AM | Reply

Focus Snoofy, stop creating strawmen that aren't the focus of the thread.

Start a new thread if you want.

#25 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 11:53 AM | Reply

"Focus Snoofy, stop creating strawmen that aren't the focus of the thread."

See your #3.
This is topical, you just don't like eating your own ----.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 11:55 AM | Reply

You're really not sure if the War on Drugs is racist?

Et Tu, JPW?

#15 | Posted by snoofy

Not remotely close to what I said.

Try again.

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-10 01:02 PM | Reply

GOP: Marion Barry smokes crack, bust him. Roy Moore diddles a girl, no problem that is what Jesus dad did.

#28 | Posted by bored at 2017-11-10 01:06 PM | Reply

See your #3.
This is topical, you just don't like eating your own ----.

I said.."Beat me to it."

Sully is right, you are the most consistently dishonest poster on the DR, bar none.

#29 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 01:44 PM | Reply

He beat you to bringing up Barry's drug arrest, but you want the War on Drugs which precipitated that arrest to be off topic.

Okay. I guess it's just a matter of scope then. We might have gone too far reading into that whole civil rights thing when Rosa Parks got arrested. Keep the scope narrow!

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 02:57 PM | Reply

Mayor Marion Barry was probably the most popular Mayor in D.C.'s history. He was the peoples Mayor. I think I remember them forgiving him and re-electing him to the city council after his bust. They called it redemption. There's still a public housing development named after him. I think it's Barry Farms, something like that. White people snicker about his bust and the video but blacks remember him for being one of the people like them.

#31 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2017-11-10 07:27 PM | Reply

A statue to Barry, just too funny!

#32 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-11 01:12 PM | Reply

And...it's probably about time to put up a statue of Roy Moore outside a courtroom in Alabama...

#33 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-11 01:21 PM | Reply

"White people snicker about his bust and the video but blacks remember him for being one of the people like them."

That really doesn't paint a very flattering portrait of African Americans living in D.C.

#34 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-11 01:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Really doesn't paint a very flattering portrait of white people either.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-11 01:30 PM | Reply

I laughed when he got reelected. That's all. Now I'm laughing at those who still defend that, like snoofy.

#36 | Posted by eberly at 2017-11-11 02:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What am I defending, exactly? The fact that Marion Barry got elected?

Okay. I'm defending democracy. Guilty as charged!

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-11 02:48 PM | Reply

"What am I defending, exactly"?

Marion Berry.

And I'm laughing at you.

#38 | Posted by eberly at 2017-11-11 04:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Marion Berry doesn't need my defense, is the thing.

But I'm glad I was able to add some laughter to your otherwise bleak, miserable Saturday.

So there's that.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-11 04:35 PM | Reply

"Really doesn't paint a very flattering portrait of white people either."

#40 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-11 11:05 PM | Reply

Snoofster is not wrong, Eb. Not about Democracy.

Trump shouldn't really come as any surprise in a country that elected Marion Berry and Sheila Jackson Lee.

Actually, Roy Moore shouldn't really be a surprise either.

#41 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-11 11:09 PM | Reply

"It's unflattering to snicker at a politician caught smoking crack with a hooker?"

It's like when white people say MLK's noteworthy accomplishments were plagiarism and infidelity.

The statue is about Marion Barry, and literally all the white people have talked about is his crack arrest.

Apparently white people would like to think that's why blacks want a statue of Marion Barry.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-12 12:01 PM | Reply