Friday, November 10, 2017

Now, after years of unsubstantiated rumors about Louis C.K. ... women are coming forward to describe what they experienced. Even amid the current burst of sexual misconduct accusations against powerful men, the stories about Louis C.K. stand out because he has so few equals in comedy. ... As soon as they sat down in his room, still wrapped in their winter jackets and hats, Louis C.K. asked if he could take out his ---, the women said. They thought it was a joke and laughed it off. "And then he really did it," Ms. Goodman said in an interview with The New York Times. "He proceeded to take all of his clothes off, and get completely naked, and started ---."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In the years since the incidents the women describe, he has sold out Madison Square Garden eight times, created an Emmy-winning TV series, and accumulated the clout of a tastemaker and auteur, with the help of a manager who represents some of the biggest names in comedy. And Louis C.K. built a reputation as the unlikely conscience of the comedy scene, by making audiences laugh about hypocrisy -- especially male hypocrisy.

Comments

... he has so few equals in comedy...

I tired, I really, really tried watching a few of his shows, and even some other shows in which he was majorly involved.

I really don't "get" his humor. I found the shows more depressing than humorous.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-09 03:22 PM | Reply

This is yet another "open secret" that has been circulating in the Industry for years, while I do think he has funny bits his creepiness has always been a turn off for me.

He has two daughters, which makes his "proclivities" even creepier.

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-09 03:30 PM | Reply

time for a new hashtag

#himtoo

#3 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11-09 04:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

This one bums me out, since I found his standup funny. What a weirdo.

#4 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2017-11-09 04:04 PM | Reply

#3 Honestly I'm starting to lose track of how many allegations have been made about whom.

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-11-09 04:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

And its just going to keep getting worse.

DC is next, with Jesse Jackson and Roy Moore in the crosshairs, other people will come forward now, both women and men.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-09 04:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Hell yeah. Name the freaks out loud. fuggum.

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-09 05:18 PM | Reply

its actually a good thing that people are willing to come out finally.

hopefully we can nip these scum bags off the tree well before it gets as far as it has.

#8 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11-10 09:33 AM | Reply

"DC is next, with Jesse Jackson and Roy Moore in the crosshairs"

problem is that You People will treat the crimes of Jesse Jackson and Roy Moore entirely different

I present Exhibit A

Alabama GOP lawmaker: Roy Moore accusers should be prosecuted for not coming forward sooner

Ann Coulter defends Roy Moore's ‘creepy' predation of underage and teenage girls: ‘This was nearly 50 years ago'
Fox News Forgets Its Own Sexual Harassment Problem And Again Attacks Victims
The network's legal analyst tells Hannity that false reports are common ploys for money.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, traveling with the president on his trip to Asia, told reporters that Trump "believes that we cannot allow a mere allegation ― in this case, one from many years ago ― to destroy a person's life"

And remember. "You are Judged by the Company You Keep"
And THIS is the company you vote to keep

#9 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-11-10 10:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Can we start a list of who HASN'T done this. It would be easier.

#10 | Posted by Bubba10 at 2017-11-10 10:56 AM | Reply

Is this a new thing I missed? Public ------------?

I'm getting old. Somethings should remain in the privacy of your home.

#11 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-11-10 10:56 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER AT 2017-11-09 03:22 PM | REPLY

Same here. I have friends who insist the show is great but I just didn't see it.

I do think his stand up is great though. Although knowing this about him ruins it.

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-10 11:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I haven't, they both need to be held accountable.

All the noise from the GOP spin meisters is disgusting and should be ignored.

In Industry in LA ------------ has been privately called "pulling a CK" for some time now, thankfully someone was brave enough to out this creep.

"You People" don't realize how much control these stars and their agents have over others career paths, when someone like Louis CK or Kevin Spacey wants to ruin your career all it takes is a few phone calls to keep you from getting hired ever again.

#13 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 11:04 AM | Reply

It's unfortunate that Louis is a jackhole, but it doesn't surprise me. I like some of his stuff but it is usually too dark and dry even for me.

Look, it's no secret there are a lot of jackholes in the general population period. People that are like that that get any semblance of power don't stop they only get worse. As it so happens a lot of men are sexual predators. Guess what they don't stop when they gain power? And women, for whatever the reason, don't hold them accountable for their actions. I get it "attacking" powerful people comes at a cost, but this failure to report happens even with people that aren't powerful all the time. I also get a lot of it is he said / she said and the police often don't like to get involved. And also speaking frankly there are a lot of false accusations that do happen against men by women who are either manipulating the situation or "have regrets". I hate to say I have seen a lot but I have.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-11-10 11:14 AM | Reply

"All the noise from the GOP spin meisters is disgusting and should be ignored"

Roy Moore Fundraises Off Report That He Molested A 14-Year-Old Girl

The people who share, promote and speak for your ideology are Craven Scum.

CK and Spacey's careers are over, no other ideology other than the one you subscribe to is defensing either of these two creeps

the Company YOU keep.

#15 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-11-10 11:17 AM | Reply

So he always asked if he could do it in front of girls, never forced anyone, didn't take advantage of anyone...and now he's in the wrong? Sure, it's weird but all this does is perpetuate guilty consciences. If a girl doesn't like that she just had consensual relations with someone, all she has to do is say he made advancements and then that guys life is over. It's pretty sad. There isn't one person on this planet that can say in 2002 they were scared because Louis had power. They guy may be a creep and not one a woman will want to be alone with now, but he's not a criminal or worth having an article like this. Unless, of course, we now consider the sexual exploits in private, consenting rooms worthy of news.

#16 | Posted by humtake at 2017-11-10 11:39 AM | Reply

"Roy Moore Fundraises Off Report That He Molested A 14-Year-Old Girl"

Wait... Girl?
Are you 100% sure this guy is a Republican?

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 11:39 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Louis CK was doing this skeevy stuff before he was a big star, though.

I don't understand how someone could be so brilliant in self-reflection and self-criticism onstage and so blind off of it. He does some of the smartest comedy I've ever seen.

I also don't get the whole shtick of exposing your shortcomings to people you've just invited to your hotel room or office. Rich stand-up comics could get as much sex as they wanted from as many people as they wanted it from. Why not do that instead? It's like they prefer women who didn't consent.

#18 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-10 11:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

... never forced anyone, didn't take advantage of anyone ...

Reread the story. Several of the incidents describe sexual harassment in the workplace, which wasn't consensual and did leave the women feeling exploited and gross.

It's pretty sad.

I think it's sadder that powerful men keep doing stuff like this. They know it's wrong but do it anyway, thinking they can get away with it.

#19 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-10 11:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

CocoChiefHyperPartisan keeps desperately trying to make this thread about the GOP when it isn't.

Why don't you go share your particular pathology on the Roy Moore thread where it belongs.

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 11:59 AM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2017-11-10 11:44 AM

I tend to look at this as "Revenge of the Nerds" in that guys like Louis CK or Harvey Weinstein were ostracized in High School and College by the popular kids and now that they are more "handsome" standing on their wallets or IMDB profiles they are taking it out on all the people that ignored or heckled them in the past. And no, I am not victim blaming here, I am talking about what is going on in the abuser's head.

I agree it is really sad and disgusting that anyone feels the need to do crap like this, hopefully once all the abusers have been outed this pattern of behavior will stop once and for all.

#21 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 12:05 PM | Reply

"hopefully once all the abusers have been outed this pattern of behavior will stop once and for all."

I see the right-wingers have deployed their highly effective Hopes And Prayers Machine to achieve resolution of this problem.

I hope you topped up the fuel tank after the latest mass shooting, is all.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 12:30 PM | Reply

Crappy deflection noted.

#23 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 12:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#21 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2017-11-10 12:05 PM | FLAG:

I think you may be onto something, at least with some of these guys. Maybe they couldn't -------- when they were in their early years, so they created this fantasy of "revenge" sex with all the girls who were unattainable. And then by the time they were more popular, it was too late -- the revenge fantasy was so ingrained in their daily lives that they couldn't shake it (pardon the pun). Normal sex couldn't satisfy their need for control.

#24 | Posted by cbob at 2017-11-10 01:15 PM | Reply

#24 go check out the "InCel" subreddit.

"Involuntarily Celibate" is what these boys call themselves.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 01:19 PM | Reply

"CocoChiefHyperPartisan keeps desperately trying "

trying?

these are your people, fool.

I just reminded you of some of the things they are saying on your behalf.

#26 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-11-10 01:30 PM | Reply

Louis CK admitted to his actions and apologized for them. Compare that to Moore

#27 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-10 01:31 PM | Reply

#24 go check out the "InCel" subreddit.
"Involuntarily Celibate" is what these boys call themselves.

#25 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2017-11-10 01:19 PM | FLAG:

Wow, never heard that term before. Thanks to reddit, I have now also learned the terms landwhale, Stacies, roasties, and mgtows.

But it appears the InCel sub was shut down by reddit. Now there's only the watchdog group, IncelTears.

A story in the NYT yesterday says:
An online petition called on Reddit to ban the incel community subreddit, noting that Elliott O. Rodger, a California man who killed six people in a 2014 rampage in Isla Vista near the University of California, Santa Barbara, before firing a bullet into his head, was referred to in the group as "Saint Elliott."

#28 | Posted by cbob at 2017-11-10 01:42 PM | Reply

Compare that to Moore

Moore is a sick man and so are his supporters.

#29 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 01:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I just reminded you of some of the things they are saying on your behalf.

#26 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES AT 2017-11-10 01:30 PM

Assign positions much?

Oh that's right, that is all you got.

#30 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 01:51 PM | Reply

It's pretty accurate with some of these guys, I had dinner with a group of agents from one of the major talent agencies a couple of years ago and one of the guys was bragging about how he went to his high school reunion and "banged two chicks" in the bathroom who never even looked at him at school. Pretty sure he was in full revenge mode at that time, it was both sad and nauseating.

#31 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 01:54 PM | Reply

The sexual assault allegations against Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore are the biggest news of the day -- unless you're watching Fox & Friends. Friday morning, hosts of the Fox News talk show spent just four minutes discussing Moore, less than 24 hours after the Washington Post's bombshell report which included an account of Moore molesting a 14-year-old girl when he was 32.
Instead, Laura Ingraham and her co-hosts devoted the majority of their air time to topics such as: A professor who said "whiteness" played a factor in the Texas church shooting; an NFL boycott; the first lady's trip to the zoo; and a different Washington Post story altogether -- an opinion piece about what the world might look like had Hillary Clinton won.
For comparison's sake, from October 5 to October 24, Fox News spent a cumulative 12 hours, 32 minutes and 36 seconds discussing the allegations against movie mogul and Democratic donor Harvey Weinstein. Fox News anchors and hosts have also flitted over the sexual assault allegations impacting their own company. Between April 1 and October 24, they devoted just 20 minutes and 46 seconds to the allegations against conservative mouthpiece Bill O'Reilly.

#32 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-11-10 02:06 PM | Reply

Didn't realize that you watched Fox so much Coco.

Congrats on resisting the overwhelming urge to assign everything that Ingraham said to me, the first step is always the hardest.

#33 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 02:18 PM | Reply

Louis Caress Knob

#34 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2017-11-10 02:36 PM | Reply

... guys like Louis CK or Harvey Weinstein were ostracized in High School and College ...

Louis CK as a young adult doesn't look like he had been a nerdy, ostracized kid:

www.ranker.com

His sitcom portrayed him as a bit of a delinquent and drug user.

Stand-up comics put themselves out in front of people. Most high school outcasts would never do that in a million years. A lot of comics are more likely to have been the bullies than the bullied.

#35 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-10 02:43 PM | Reply

His sitcom portrayed him as a bit of a delinquent and drug user.

Always super popular with the ladies (and their parents) at your local HS.

#36 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-10 02:46 PM | Reply

With the kids out of the house one afternoon, and C.K.'s manhood bulging, great sadness ensues when his beleaguered wife pops the question and they go into their daughter's room. "We can't go in the living room because there's too much nice ---- for me to come on," he explains. There, a short time later, on the floor, C.K. helps her finish the job. "There should be a monument with a reflecting pool dedicated to that --------," he says. "Because it was the saddest thing to ever happen in America."

#37 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-11-10 02:52 PM | Reply

Louis CK has admitted everything the women said is true:

www.nytimes.com

It's a nice apology, though it doesn't erase what he did.

#38 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-10 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Pink ----- hat protest in 3.. 2...

wait where'd they go?

#39 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-10 02:56 PM | Reply

A lot of comics are more likely to have been the bullies than the bullied.

#35 | POSTED BY RCADE

"I loved school, maybe too much really. I was summa cum laude in high school. I was driven that way. I wasn't...exuberant," he said. "I spent about three years in an all-boys school [near Detroit]. It was almost like the one in 'Dead Poets Society'. Blazer. Latin motto. I was getting pushed around a lot. Not only was there like physical bullying, but there was intellectual bullying going on. It made me toughen up, but it also made me pull back a lot. I had a certain reticence about dealing with people. Through comedy, I found a way to bridge the gap."

Robin Williams

www.educationworld.com

#40 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-11-10 03:14 PM | Reply

David Letterman, once I recalled, asked Sandra Bernhardt if she liked her time in high school.

She said "Are you kidding me! They treated me worse than Carrie!"

#41 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-11-10 03:17 PM | Reply

Other comedians bullied in school:

Chris Rock developed his humor and wit as a response to bullies.

Jason Segel was bullied at school.

Howard Stern says that he was a target for every bully in the city.

Bill Clinton was teased for his weight growing up.

Barack Obama was bullied in school

www.ranker.com

#42 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-11-10 03:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And Donald Trump, the biggest pervert of them all, has been publicly and widely mocked endlessly as a narcissistic twit for over forty years.

#43 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-11-10 03:57 PM | Reply

Guys,

I know it's the new "hot" thing to accuse someone of sexual this and sexual that. But lets remember, in our society, we are supposed to be innocent until PROVEN guilty. We have to be careful with this. People are losing lively hoods and reputations because of some accusations. Have any of you thought that maybe, someone may be lying just for attention?

#44 | Posted by boaz at 2017-11-10 05:31 PM | Reply

Boaz, have you ever thought they were telling the truth?

#45 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-10 05:53 PM | Reply

have you ever thought they were telling the truth?

They were telling the truth. Louie has confirmed it and apologized.

He's (most likely) guilty of indecent exposure and sexual harassment.

Based on the two articles I've read, he hasn't sexually assaulted anyone.

And the two women who went to his hotel room were asked permission. They could have said no (as two other women have stated they had), or left immediately upon realizing he was getting -----------------.

Perhaps it's easier said than done.

#46 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-10 06:05 PM | Reply

Other comedians bullied in school

I didn't say all comics weren't bullied. Listing a few who say they were doesn't refute the observation.

#47 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-10 06:09 PM | Reply

Boaz, have you ever thought they were telling the truth?

Without proof or an admission, to be honest, I don't care. Some are saying accusations of things that supposedly happened 20, 30, 40 years ago. And without having a way to defend themselves, people are losing their livelihoods. I don't agree with that.

If it's proven or they admit it, then ok.

#49 | Posted by boaz at 2017-11-11 01:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What evidence provides proof of sexual assault without witnesses 20+ years ago?
If the victim's story is credible as is the case for Roy Moore, then that is enough proof for me.

#50 | Posted by bored at 2017-11-11 03:34 AM | Reply

Well, I hope someone never comes up with circumstantial evidence against you and you are innocent. That's a hell no one deserves.

#51 | Posted by boaz at 2017-11-11 09:18 AM | Reply

What evidence provides proof of sexual assault without witnesses 20+ years ago?

Exactly. Which is why there is a statue of limitations. To be able to have a person fired from a job on just an accusation is very wrong to me. Someone can deny all day, but just because someone accuses them, they lose their livelihood.

That's just wrong..

#52 | Posted by boaz at 2017-11-11 09:23 AM | Reply

"To be able to have a person fired from a job on just an accusation is very wrong to me."

Congratulations, you've just described Right To Work.
You support Right To Work, and you have Unions.
You are not a very smart man.

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-11 12:05 PM | Reply

Apples and oranges Snoofy.

You know, I've been debating with some liberal friends of mine and they do the same BS that you do when talking. Mention something that has NOTHING to do with whatever it is we are talking about and act like they are so smart for deflecting.

Anyway, nice try at deflecting Snoofy. Your trolling skills are fading man..

#54 | Posted by boaz at 2017-11-11 04:24 PM | Reply

"Mention something that has NOTHING to do with whatever it is we are talking about "

You are complaining about workers getting fired without cause.
Union contracts protect workers from that kind of think.
Like I said, you're not even half-smart.

#55 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-11 04:36 PM | Reply

So why isn't an actor's guild or whatever their union is protecting these men?

It's still not the same thing when an employer accuses you of not working and a woman accuses you of looking up her skirt..

#56 | Posted by boaz at 2017-11-11 04:56 PM | Reply

"So why isn't an actor's guild or whatever their union is protecting these men?"

I don't think too many people can count on their union protecting them when they've committed actual heinous crimes. Police notwithstanding.

I would imagine stuff like Kevin Spacey being edited out of a film is buried in some morality clause somewhere. I bet he's gonna get paid regardless though.

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-11 07:37 PM | Reply

But that's actually a pretty good question Boaz. I wonder what is going on behind the scenes at the Screen Actor's Guild. Probably a massive damage control effort.

#58 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-11 07:37 PM | Reply

Probably a massive damage control effort.

Lawyers circling like frenzied sharks, in other words.

Until it's their turn...