Thursday, November 09, 2017

Just over two years ago, then-Vice President Joe Biden announced that he would not run to succeed President Barack Obama in the 2016 presidential election. This week, he admitted he regrets that he doesn't currently occupy the Oval Office given the potential he sees in the United States. "I regret that I am not president because I think there is so much opportunity," Biden told Oprah Winfrey in a clip from an OWN Network interview aired exclusively by Good Morning America on Thursday. "I think America is so incredibly well-positioned." Biden, who served eight years as Obama's vice president after 36 years in the U.S. Senate, said he did not have second thoughts, however, about the reason why he passed up the opportunity to enter the race. "I don't regret the decision I made because it was the right decision for my family," he said.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The former vice president explained that in order for one to decide to announce whether he or she is running for president, they need to be able to answer two questions.

"One: Do they truly believe they are the most qualified person for that moment? I believed I was," Biden said. "But, was I prepared to be able to give my whole heart, my whole soul and all my attention to the endeavor?

"I knew I wasn't."

Comments

We wish you were President as well, Joe.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2017-11-09 11:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#2 Me too.

"Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
the saddest are these, 'It might have been."
John Greenleaf Whittier

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-11-09 11:29 AM | Reply

I don't. I am happy he is a "nobody".

#3 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-11-09 11:36 AM | Reply

We wish you were President as well, Joe.

#1 | POSTED BY LEFTCOASTLAWYER

that's makes about 250 million of us.

#4 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-11-09 12:25 PM | Reply

When Beau Biden passed, a little bit of America did too. That was the tragedy that kept Joe from running...

#5 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-09 12:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I was actually hoping that Biden would run, given the slate of candidates that was out there. I always thought he would be a better POTUS than Obama or Bush ever were.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-09 12:35 PM | Reply

He, and several millions of other Pres would be better than who we have now... but he wouldn't have been the Dem candidate even had he run.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-09 01:20 PM | Reply

I don't. I am happy he is a "nobody".

#3 | Posted by Sniper

Because you love voting for people who'll screw you over every chance they get?

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-09 01:33 PM | Reply

but he wouldn't have been the Dem candidate even had he run.

#7 | Posted by Corky

Not because the Dem candidate was better or had a better shot at winning, but because it was her turn.

Hence, why we have DOTUS Trump.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-09 01:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Biden would have been a better POTUS than Trump or Hillary.

I'd argue he'd have been better than Bush II or Obama.

He has foot-in-mouth syndrome, but he's actually an intelligent guy.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-09 01:36 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY CORKY

True, DWS would have made sure of it.

#11 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-09 02:00 PM | Reply

Paranoia strikes deep... as does myth.

#13 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-09 02:03 PM | Reply

How can you regret a potential end result but not regret going through the process required for that potential end result?

#14 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-11-09 06:26 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY PIRATE

Because he can't regret going through a process he never went through.

#15 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-09 06:28 PM | Reply

Exactly, so he can't regret not being President or there's a little part of him that does regret not running (which I think is the case).

#16 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-11-09 06:38 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY PIRATE

Yeah I think that is it. I was just channeling some Jeffj and being unnecessarily pedantic.

#17 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-09 06:45 PM | Reply

Or maybe he regrets it from a "if only circumstances were different" kind of way. Can't believe people are taking about him as a candidate for 2020. He turns 75 in less than 2 weeks!

#18 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-11-09 06:51 PM | Reply

Agreed Pirate.

He should probably go into semi retirement and drag race Colin Powell.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-09 07:01 PM | Reply

Joe Biden drag racing Colin Powell (the RuPaul way) would be awesome!

#20 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-11-09 07:10 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY PIRATE

The DNC is fine by that since his name is Joe Biden (D) not Joe Biden (I).

#21 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-09 07:15 PM | Reply

And he can still hammer a six inch spike through a board with his penis...

#22 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-09 08:15 PM | Reply

Hell, I would have voted for Corky over Trump..and I'm pretty sure that Corky would have stuck me n front of a firing squad the minute he was able to do so.

But Joe B. Always struck me as a good dude. I didn't agree with everything he stood for, but he wasn't completely OTL.

#23 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-09 10:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I agree, he would have been a far better choice than Hillary or Trump, obviously.

I also think he was far more center-left than Obama, and a far better consensus builder.

His families loss when Beau passed was our collective loss as well, since it foisted a choice between the Orange Menace and the Hildebeast on us.

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-09 10:44 PM | Reply

"Hell, I would have voted for Corky over Trump"

I get what you're saying though.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-09 11:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Admit it Biden, the Clintons bought you off, like they did everyone in a position of power in the DNC.

#26 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-10 10:32 AM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY BAYVIKING

it's possible, that's the way politics works nowadays. Biden would have won the contest against Trump, but he would have had to throw Hillary under the bus.

The DNC made many mistakes. Regardless if it was justified or not, they ignored how the fly-over states viewed Hillary, thereby they ignored states that had 10 electoral votes each. Winning NY and Calif. with 75%, instead of 51%, adds nothing to the electoral vote count. That is why Hillary won the popular vote but lost the electoral vote.

#27 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-11-10 11:08 AM | Reply

#28 | Posted by visiter at 2017-11-10 11:27 AM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY VISITER

Two bit? He was Vice President for 8 years after he and Obama kicked McCain/Moose girl and then Mr. 1% throughout the country.

#29 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-10 12:35 PM | Reply

"It's just not believable that a Hillary Hater would vote for Hillary's #1 Cheerleader."

I'm not a Hillary hater by any stretch. I voted for Johns, but in terms of qualifications, she was the most qualified for the job.

Like Bush hating, most Hillary hating is based on emotion...it doesn't have nearly as much to do with objectivity or performance.

#30 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-10 01:02 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

In his own memoir he said that he didn't run because the Clinton camp would "stop at nothing" to beat him. So either he has no stomach for negative campaigns or he's got some real skeletons in his closet.

#31 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-10 01:56 PM | Reply

Bears repeating:

#27 | POSTED BY KUDZU AT 2017-11-10 11:08 AM

Over and over and over again.

#32 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2017-11-10 02:22 PM | Reply

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, poor bloody baby. Maybe someone needs to change your damn diaper. I pity you.

#33 | Posted by robadude32 at 2017-11-10 03:05 PM | Reply

Joe Biden regrets he is not president. And I regret that someone as flimsy as Joe Biden would have been a superior choice to either of the candidates put forward by the major Parties last year.

#34 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-11-10 04:02 PM | Reply

"joe...stay at home. every two bit politician regrets not having made it to POTUS. the only difference between you and them is that you had it in your hands and punted on first down. no intestinal fortitude, dude."

He was still mourning the death of his son.

#35 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-10 04:18 PM | Reply

With the likes of Biden as POTUS this country would be in a much better place right now--respected abroad and not in the midst of an internecine battle at home. Nazis and bigots would still be in their hovels and the rest of us more proud of our country than we are now.

#36 | Posted by catdog at 2017-11-10 04:41 PM | Reply

Hillary lacks the fun, personal, spontaneity of her husband. Computer algorithms "underlie nearly all of the Clinton campaign's most important strategic decisions." Computer guru Elan Kriegel had crunched the numbers for campaign manager Robby Mook, allowing the Team Clinton to think they were precisely targeting her potential voters without wasting a dime on appealing to the deplorables.

Clintonites saw it as their secret weapon in building an insurmountable delegate lead over Bernie Sanders, which actually depended on cheating. In the general election the Clintonistas were downright giddy about the edge they thought Big Data was giving them and quit using it during the last two weeks.

Meanwhile, Brad Parscale led a counterattack on facebook and other internet links, for Trump, which has been characterized by the intelligence community as led by Russia.

#37 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-11 09:45 AM | Reply

- and I'm pretty sure that Corky would have stuck me n front of a firing squad the minute he was able to do so.

I'm not that soft. I would have made you read your own posts ad infinitum.

#38 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-11 07:03 PM | Reply

... while listening to HRat singing Sugar, Sugar by the Archies.

#39 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-11 07:46 PM | Reply