Wednesday, November 08, 2017

"A person who refuses to try something better is a person who will never make things good."

Comments

From the article:

This is a simple matter of science: Steaks with even a little bit of red in them are better than steaks without. This is a fact, a chemical and physical truth, the result of an alchemy of fat and protein and salt, and the way matter transforms when exposed to heat, and the way our bodies connect the chemicals of taste to the chemicals of pleasure.
There's that science thingy again.

#1 | Posted by Hans at 2017-11-08 08:24 PM | Reply

"Steaks with even a little bit of red in them are better than steaks without."

Um..no. Steaks with a lot of red in them are better than steaks without.

If you want something well done, then stick a roast in the crock pot.

My daughters won't even eat steak if it's more than medium rare. They'll give it to the pup. Regardless of the cut.

#2 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-08 10:44 PM | Reply

donald has money... no one ever said he had any taste or style.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-08 10:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

From the article:

There's that science thingy again.
#1 | POSTED BY HANS AT 2017-11-08 08:24 PM

When it comes to steak I could care less what science says. My tastebuds confirm that steaks are best at the rare-end of medium rare.

Fat and collagen-rich cuts like chuck roast and brisket are best slow-cooked way beyond "well done". It's a completely different flavor and texture profile.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-08 11:37 PM | Reply

Extra Rare or raw here.

#5 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-08 11:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You guys are monsters.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-08 11:57 PM | Reply

Extra Rare or raw here.

#5 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

I like them a bit cooked. Red throughout with a good sear.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-08 11:58 PM | Reply

Black and Bleu .....

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-11-09 12:03 AM | Reply

How would you like your steak?
Cut off its horns, wipe its ass, and lead it to the table.

#9 | Posted by Snowfake at 2017-11-09 07:20 AM | Reply

Welllll done.

And then even charred just a little.

That is part of the taste.

However, that's supposed to be carcinogenic.

Fortunately I don't eat a lot of steak but that's how I like it.

#10 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-09 07:26 AM | Reply

You don't believe he has and decided against it? "Better" is subjective. I like liver and onions and a lot of people don't. Does that give me carte blanche to claim that they are wrong and that their bad decision paints a broader picture of poor life choices and sketchy morals? If Trump puts ketchup on well-done steaks, does that make him the moral superior of someone who won't even eat MEAT? The author would seem to indicate it is so.

#11 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-11-09 08:08 AM | Reply

Anybody that eats steak well done should be put on the wall next to the vegans.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-09 09:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've always wondered what kind of throwback is that for people who want meat still raw.

You still think you live in a cave and haven't discovered fire?

#13 | Posted by Billjohnson at 2017-11-09 10:07 AM | Reply

Ummmmm...meat good...
Me like raw...

#14 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-09 10:10 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY MUSTANG GT

When it comes to food preference, almost everything is subjective, except when it comes to steak. Medium rare to rare with a good sear. It's not even subject to debate. This is a universal truth.

#15 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-09 10:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

People that eat well done steak at his age have certainly tried it medium or medium rare, so I doubt it's from lack of trying. He just prefers it that way, which is nasty, imo.
The redder the better. Salt, pepper always. Garlic, garlic salt, garlic butter or other infused butter are acceptable.

#16 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-09 12:15 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

That poor pup.

We sous vide our steaks now. Seer the outsides. It is perfection. This thread proves taste is not left/right.

#17 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-09 12:41 PM | Reply

We like it 'raw': steak carpaccio

www.seriouseats.com

#18 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-09 01:02 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES AT 2017-11-09 12:41 PM | FLAG:

I used sous vide for years, love my immersion circulator. However, I recently ditched it entirely for the "reverse sear" method. It produces better steaks.

Binging with Babish has a good video on it, but you if you have a good oven you can go even lower in temps, down to 200. No matter the technique, always rest for 10 minutes for best results.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-09 01:50 PM | Reply

"Red throughout with a good sear." - #7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-08 11:58 PM

Sometimes known as Pittsburgh-style.

My fav.

#20 | Posted by Hans at 2017-11-09 02:26 PM | Reply

"...I recently ditched it entirely for the "reverse sear" method. It produces better steaks." - #19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-09 01:50 PM

From Meathead Goldwyn's site, AmazingRibs.com. I use the reverse sear method all the time.

And, as it turns out, Both JeffJ and I are members of Meathead's PitMaster's Club.

Or, as IndianaJones says in his #17: "This thread proves taste is not left/right."

BTW, sitzkrieg: I recently tried the Afterburner Method.

My steak (Ribeye) turned out amazing!

#21 | Posted by Hans at 2017-11-09 02:37 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

I worked at a steakhouse. Anyone asking for their steak to be well done was an opportunity for me to ask if they'd like to try the chicken.

9gag.com

Even better when the girlfriend/wife orders rare or med-rare.

Blackened rare for me. I'm not ordering a chew toy.

#22 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-11-09 02:45 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY HANS AT 2017-11-09 02:37 PM | REPLY

Oooh I'm going to try that tomorrow night.

Goddamn I'm so hungry now. :(

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-09 03:05 PM | Reply

Y'all would probably enjoy a visit to my backyard BBQ island. Wood, propane, and charcoal grills, propane & wood smokers, double high output burner rig for brewing beer that also does great seafood boils. - Sitz

Sounds fantastic! Can you be more specific (brand, etc)?

This is what I'm working with:

Weber Spirit 3-burner propane grill
Bradley Electric Smoker
Weber Jumbo Joe 18.5" charcoal grill
Weber Smokey Mountain 14.5" charcoal smoker
Weber Performer 22" charcoal grill with the following accessories:
* ABC Drip n Griddle (can be used in the bigger grill)
* ABC Slow n Sear (can be used in the bigger grill)
* Rotisserie ring
* Kettle Pizza ring
* Weber Gourmet BBQ system with cast-iron wok and griddle
Weber 26.75" charcoal grill with the following accessory:
* Arteflame cast-iron griddle
Pit Barrel Cooker charcoal smoker/cooker

I also have a pair of Maverick probe thermometers.

With all of these outdoor cookers my wife says I just need to put an 80's-era car on blocks on the driveway to complete the white-trash look.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-09 04:31 PM | Reply

Hans and Live or Die (he purchased a Weber 26.75" charcoal grill and Slow n Sear based upon my recommendation) can attest to the Slow n Sear taking the Weber kettle to the next level as both a smoker and a 2-zone cooker with a nuclear hot sear zone.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-09 04:35 PM | Reply

"steak well done, ketchup and no beer, just a diet coke" - trump

#26 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11-09 04:37 PM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2017-11-09 04:31 PM | FLAG:

The wood burners (and sometimes charcoal) are scratch builds, welded from 1/4" and 1/2" steel plate. One is a huge "cowboy grill", it looks like a WW1 naval mine cut in half. The other is an offset side box smoker. It's at least 400 pounds of steel, it sucks to move. The burners for boiling are Darkside 2.0s refitted into a cheap steel rolling rack I need to replace with custom stainless welding. The brew pots are all stainless from Spike. A little Old Smokey for when it's just my wife & I and we don't want the hassle of running the wood grills. They devour lumber but the results are excellent, it took awhile to learn how to run them properly. I think you gave me some tips on it in the nooner a few years back.

Next two additions are a la caja china for whole hog, and a trager pellet grill. Then, it's back to figuring out what pizza oven I want.

#27 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-09 05:00 PM | Reply

Sitz,

For some reason I'm not surprised you build your own cookers.

My next acquisition will be a stick burner. Probably a Horizon 20".

You have MCS: Multi Cooker Syndrome.

#28 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-09 06:28 PM | Reply

Sitz,

For some reason I'm not surprised you build your own cookers.

My next acquisition will be a stick burner. Probably a Horizon 20".

You have MCS: Multi Cooker Syndrome.

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-09 06:32 PM | Reply

Sitz,

Instead of a pizza oven + pellet consider a Weber Summit Charcoal kamado + a CyberQue.

The kamado can achieve scorching temps for pizza and it has a port (no drilling necessary) for a CyberQue or similar product which will make it as hands off as a pellet cooker.

Less $$ and less footprint. A win/win.

Also, check out Po Man Grill as a conversation piece. "Cooking in a can."

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-09 06:36 PM | Reply

First thing that came to my mind when reading the article was also vegetarianism and how a political hack could make the same dubious claims. I call BS, and say this is probably counter-propaganda to make Trump's critics look absurd.

I prefer my steak medium well, and I don't care what other people think. Everyone has their own tastes, which are largely a reflection of the environment they grew up in.

#31 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-11-10 12:46 AM | Reply

As am I. I just settle for my 25 year old Weber gas grill though.

#32 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-10 12:55 AM | Reply

#30 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2017-11-09 06:36 PM | FLAG:

The big eggs. Never used one, but I'd like to. I'll check it out.

#33 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-10 07:33 AM | Reply

You have MCS: Multi Cooker Syndrome.

#29 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2017-11-09 06:32 PM | FLAG:

Before this, it was kitchen gadgets. Through discipline and focus, I was able to reduce it to the basics... except for my sandwich press. I will never, ever give up my cuban sandwich press.

#34 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-10 07:34 AM | Reply

Ya'll know that if this was Obama, it would be a FOX news headline and scandal.. like the tan suit

#35 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11-10 09:29 AM | Reply

The owner of Adreneline BBQ Company has three of them. 2 ceramics and the Weber. He likes the Weber best out of the three. It's nof as heavy. It's easier to bring temps down if you overshoot. It's better designed for two zone cooking than the Big Green Egg. You don't have to worry about the cooking bowl cracking.

#36 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-10 10:24 AM | Reply