Wednesday, November 08, 2017

The Russian military will field a new armed tank-like robot that "outperformed" manned platforms in recent exercises at the Alabino proving grounds outside Moscow.

That's what Col. Oleg Pomazuev told the Russian news site "Military Review" in late October. Pomazuev runs the Department of Innovation Research at the Russian military's Main Directorate of Research Activities, or GUNID.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Half a world away, unmanned ground vehicles are also on the mind of Gen. Mark Milley, chief of staff of the U.S. Army. Trends in autonomy and robotic battle systems are proceeding faster than many realize, Milley said Tuesday at the Army's CyCon event in downtown Washington, D.C.

"We are in a period of time, historically, where you are getting a convergence of a wide variety of technologies. We are at the leading edge of that," said Milley. "In combination, I guarantee that they are changing and will change the fundamental character of war."

"You have a lot of changes in mechanical engineering, in robotics. So autonomous systems, or semi-autonomous, they are already here. They have arrived. They have not proliferated in wide use, yet. They will be, very, very shortly. Within a matter of years, you will see widespread use of robots."

Comments

Plus...robo soldiers don't lay about in their bunks whining about "my blown off leg".

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-08 06:11 PM | Reply

Damn Mexican robots stealing all those jobs.

#2 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-08 07:34 PM | Reply

It's the tiny bug-sized robots that will really be a game changer. Imagine millions of them fanning out quietly and scanning the countryside for weapons, resources and people and creating their own communication network as they go. On command they can cut wires, drill holes, or short out equipment, and ‘sting' people with sedatives or lethal injections.

#3 | Posted by Snowfake at 2017-11-09 07:45 AM | Reply

I live pretty close to one of the nation's top military R&D 'secret' installations. There's all kinds of wierd stuff going on over there. One day, a few years ago, I was in the backyard and I heard a faint buzzing overhead, at about 100 ft elevation. I looked up just in time to see a drone (about 3 ft in diameter) flying by. It was moving fast too. That thing could have shot me and I would have never heard it. The base is probably 20 miles away (as the crow flies), and it had to be operated from over there.

#4 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-11-09 09:13 AM | Reply

awtlblog.vitsco.com

#5 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2017-11-09 09:33 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY KUDZU AT 2017-11-09 09:13 AM | FLAG:

Doesn't mean it's from the base necessarily. You & I could assemble one in an evening, and equip it with off the shelf hobbyist gear that will give us a 20+ mile control range. It's not even expensive.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-09 09:48 AM | Reply