Tuesday, November 07, 2017

In all truth, I was originally never going to tell this story. Because for the longest time, I didn't even know if there was a story. I didn't take what had happened to me seriously.

Sexual harassment, unwanted sexual attention, grabby or flirtatious old men; we're taught as women to make excuses for them, especially as black women. You're supposed to be A-OK with a touch here, a squeeze there, a dirty look, or even an unwanted grab. You're supposed to laugh -- act grateful, even -- for the attention.

I used to work for a very popular media company, and we had a meeting that ended with a keynote speech by the living legend, the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

After Jackson's riveting and inspiring speech about the responsibility of black journalists, we all lined up to take a photo with him.

I walked toward Jackson, smiling, and he smiled back at me. His eyes scanned my entire body. All of a sudden, I felt naked in my sweater and jeans.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

As I walked within arm's reach of him, Jackson reached out a hand and grabbed my thigh, saying, "I like all of that right there!" and gave my thigh a tight squeeze.

I was shocked, to say the least. Even though Jackson had had his hand reached out, I had no idea that he would touch me in a sexual way.

I did what most women in an uncomfortable position do: I giggled. And I continued to giggle as he pulled me in closer, stared down at my body, smiled and told me he was only kidding.

Comments

This may be the start of the lid coming off in DC on sexual harassment...Jesse has had a reputation of being a "womanizer" ala Harvey Weinstein for decades, let's see if more women come forward now that an Icon of DC has a target on him.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-07 08:53 PM | Reply

I don't believe her. I have never been able to understand a single thing this guy has ever said.

#2 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-07 08:55 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

As Trump said, they let you do whatever you want if you are a celebrity.
Trump should start issuing rape licences to donors to avoid all that time wasted in courts and just skip to pay for play.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2017-11-07 09:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Deflection noted.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-07 09:32 PM | Reply

I'm surprised this isn't getting more publicity.
He's a reverend. Usually the lefties love that type of hypocrisy.
What in the hell could be the reason they aren't all over this? Hmmmmm.

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-08 01:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He is a lefty icon, and they are hoping that no one else comes out against him so that they can pull a page from the Gennifer Flowers playbook and try to discredit her.

He has a long history of sexual misdeeds, including at least one child with a mistress, Karin Stanford, who he is constantly in arrears in child support on (the latest was last year, a LA judge ordered him to pay all support that was in arrears and a penalty). The MSM conveniently ignores all this but you know if it was someone on the Right they wouldn't stop hammering that person.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 01:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I just saw a headline that Corey Feldman is accusing Charlie sheen of sexual abuse on the set of Lucas. The picture was of sheen and the Corey's so I don't know which one was sodomized, and didn't click the link (The Decider...isn't that gawker?).

#8 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-08 02:02 PM | Reply

m.youtube.com

It's the McConaughey Wild Turkey commercial. Go to the 9 second mark and watch him ogle this woman...
I've always thought is was a creepy move to check chicks out that way, but with the current climate, isn't that ad tone deaf?
Am I being a snowflake?

Even if it's no big deal, it's still really creepy.
Besides the chicks on jersey shore, who does that work on?

#9 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-08 02:11 PM | Reply

Asking for a friend...

#10 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-08 02:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

McCrazyhey has always been more than a little creepy, I surf at Little Dume and he is often out there. He seems nice enough, and he always has some 18-25 yr old hottie hanging on the beach, so no one complains. He does have more than a little bit of an edge to him, so people try not to drop in on him, cut the lineup or otherwise piss him off.

And guess what, he actually drives Lincolns, he must have a half dozen of them.

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 02:31 PM | Reply

Back on topic, it is not surprising that none of the DR Left have swarmed this thread, I guess they are OK with Jesse being a little handsy with the ladies, even when it is unwanted.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 06:14 PM | Reply

I hate that Lincoln commercial. all of them. McConahay is a major douche.

#13 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-08 06:26 PM | Reply

it is not surprising that none of the DR Left have swarmed this thread,

Perhaps you've desensitized us all with the sheer number of sexual harassment threads you've been posting.

#14 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-08 07:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

It must suck to have all these scandals about progressive hollywood, NPR, journalists, state legislators, etc. to be in the news.

#15 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-11-08 07:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

" not surprising that none of the DR Left have swarmed this thread,"
#12 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Because no matter how many of these you post, trump is still a serial sexual harasser and a pedophile.

#16 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-08 07:40 PM | Reply

Jesse Jackson went on to say:
"And when you're on WorldStarHipHop, you can get away with it!"

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-08 07:43 PM | Reply

andrea- ironic post given your handle.

#18 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2017-11-08 07:51 PM | Reply

#14, 16 and 17-

Deflections again noted.

#19 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 07:54 PM | Reply

So is Bill Clinton, but this thread isn't about either of them.

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 07:56 PM | Reply

When you're a star you can get away with that too.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-08 07:56 PM | Reply

I couldn't care less one way or another. If they're guilty of sexual assault / rape then they should be held accountable.

Of course. Then they can start their fruitful careers in the GOP. Possibly get elected president after bragging about sexually assulting women and watching minors undress.

#22 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-08 07:57 PM | Reply

Which is why they have to deflect to Trump, because they can no longer claim to hold the moral high ground on sexual creepiness.

Just wait until the DC harassment scandals start to erupt, it will be amazing to see how many of our elected officials (other than Clinton and Trump) are outed as creeps.

#23 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 07:59 PM | Reply

The difference being lefties accused of harassment are rightfully punished, like weinstein being fired from his own company, wheras trump pays no price for harrassing 16 women.

#24 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2017-11-08 08:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Just wait until the DC harassment scandals start to erupt"

Um, Dennis Hastert "erupted" with boys for decades.
You're late to the party.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-08 08:02 PM | Reply

The difference being lefties accused of harassment are rightfully punished

Trump and Clinton will probably both get arrested at the same time...

#26 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 08:04 PM | Reply

#14, 16 and 17-
Deflections again noted.

My number 14 wasn't a deflection as I was directly responding to you.

But. When it comes to deflections, you're the champ. Currently, Bill Clinton's name keeps rolling off your tongue.

#27 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-08 08:05 PM | Reply

#24-25

Two more deflections...well done, I guess.

#28 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 08:05 PM | Reply

Clown, people keep deflecting to a POTUS who was accused of sexual harassment when this thread is about Jesse Jackson, just trying to keep the tally straight.

#29 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 08:07 PM | Reply

they can no longer claim to hold the moral high ground on sexual creepiness.

That must make you so happy your heart overflows with glee.

Congratulations RoC. You've finally figured out people with power will generally abuse their power to get what they want.

#30 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-08 08:08 PM | Reply

I've known it all along Clown, which is why I posted the "Weinstein is Lawyering Up" thread two days before the article even came out.

But welcome to the age of enlightenment, now you can admit that no one should ever be "desensitized" to sex crimes, regardless of who the perp is.

#31 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 08:11 PM | Reply

this thread is about Jesse Jackson, just trying to keep the tally straight.

I'm too young to really know what Jesse Jackson's significance is. The only thing I know about him is he said some stuff and was accused of being a charlatan.

I've also heard he's a reverend. Which. To me. Means he talks a lot. Like all reverends do.

So. The question becomes. Is he someone who the GOP have exaggerated about enough to tarnish his name. Or are his critics correct about him abusing situations for personal gain?

Eitherway. If Jesse Jackson is guilty of sexual assault. Let it go to court.

#32 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-08 08:19 PM | Reply

now you can admit that no one should ever be "desensitized" to sex crimes,

Isn't the Bible full of ----- situations?

I know Greek and Roman mythology is full of rape.

#33 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-11-08 08:22 PM | Reply

Jesse Louis Jackson Sr. (born Jesse Louis Burns; October 8, 1941) is an American civil rights activist, Baptist minister, and politician. He was a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1984 and 1988 and served as a shadow U.S. Senator for the District of Columbia from 1991 to 1997. He is the founder of the organizations that merged to form Rainbow/PUSH.

Jackson has been known for commanding public attention since he first started working for Martin Luther King Jr. In 1965, Jackson participated in the Selma to Montgomery marches organized by James Bevel, King and other civil rights leaders in Alabama. Impressed by Jackson's drive and organizational abilities, King soon began giving Jackson a role in the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), though he was concerned about Jackson's apparent ambition and attention-seeking. When Jackson returned from Selma, he was charged with establishing a frontline office for the SCLC in Chicago.

Jackson became involved in SCLC leadership disputes following the assassination of King on April 4, 1968. When King was shot, Jackson was in the parking lot one floor below. Jackson told reporters he was the last person to speak to King, and that King died in his arms – an account that several King aides disputed.

#34 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-08 09:10 PM | Reply

#34 deflection noted!

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-08 09:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Isn't the Bible full of ----- situations?"

Jesus was conceived of rape, that kind of thing?
Mary, how could you cheat on Joseph like that!

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-08 10:08 PM | Reply