Monday, November 06, 2017

Following the death of 20-year-old fraternity pledge Andrew Coffey, Florida State University president John Thrasher has announced a ban on all fraternities and sororities at the school. "I want to send a serious message, I really do," said Thrasher. "We've got a serious problem." There's also a ban on all alcohol at student organization functions. "For this suspension to end, there will need to be a new normal for Greek life at the university," Thrasher said in his statement. "There must be a new culture, and our students must be full participants in creating it."

Comments

Good for FSU. More focus on actual service organizations, themed clubs, and athletics; less focus on cheap shirts with awful pop culture references, getting "lit", and icing people.

#1 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-06 05:06 PM | Reply

They will just go underground. Like miners.

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-11-06 06:44 PM | Reply

www.youtube.com

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-06 06:54 PM | Reply

Exactly.

We lost our charter for hazing. Nobody got "hurt" but some other pledges from a different frat reported the bruises/cuts they saw on two pledges.
They were from doing sit ups on a carpet. There were a bunch of pledges doing them but only the two had the brush burn and bruises. The school never saw the cuts/bruises.

Whatever. There were a million other legit things they should have yanked the charter for so boo-hoo.

#4 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-06 08:44 PM | Reply

How are people going to get booze and meet the opposite sex???

Wait...

Something tells me the theater department at FSU is going to have a lot of new members.

#5 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-11-06 09:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I was wondering what happened to Gonoles92. Hang tough, man. Keep your pledge pin hard and your powder dry and you will survive.

#6 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-06 09:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

No more drinking, which is unenforceable, unless you're so stupid you get caught falling down drunk. You get to stay in your residence, which begs the question, what does "ban" mean?

#7 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-07 07:50 AM | Reply

"Why Colleges Should Get Rid of Fraternities for Good"

time.com

#8 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 08:17 AM | Reply

A ban on alcohol???

Finally, the Mormons have somewhere to go to that's warm...

#9 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-07 09:30 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Even the Service Academies don't ban booze...

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-07 09:31 AM | Reply

10 | Posted by madbomber, Actually they do on campus, Cadets can't drink or possess alcohol on the campus of the Academies.

#11 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-11-07 10:12 AM | Reply

What a shame. People still chasing "names". What do you call someone not in a fraternity that dies from being at a party. Answer...a different headline. That's all this is. It happens all over the place but because a named organization was there, then it becomes a problem with that organization. What will they ban when someone dies who isn't at a fraternity/sorority? If the person is in the Library will they ban the Library?

#12 | Posted by humtake at 2017-11-07 12:21 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by humtake at

Go to the frat house, have a beer, relax.

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-07 12:29 PM | Reply

"That's all this is. It happens all over the place but because a named organization was there, then it becomes a problem with that organization."

They are just saying that the organization shall not have any claim to sanctioning by the University. Those other paries are completely seperate from the university.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 12:32 PM | Reply

Where will curious young male students have a safe space in which to dabble in ---- erotic behavior if we ban feats?

#15 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-07 12:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Probably your house

#16 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-11-07 01:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

You inviting yourself over?

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-07 01:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You inviting yourself over?

#18 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-07 01:32 PM | Reply

Total mischaracterization.
Frat houses are where we learned to be racist, misogynistic, and hone our white privilege while snapping each other with towels in the communal shower.

Seriously though, I joined for access to parties, jobs through alum/networking, parties, ability to move off campus after fresh year, parties, organized trips with like minded people, the beer, etc
At my school there was a lot more entertainment opportunities afforded to "Greeks". There was frat or sorority for almost every stereotype...nerds, rich kids, smart kids, party animals, meatheads, pretty girls, big girls, fat girls, rich girls, the frat that would take anyone for numbers, etc
No jock fraternity though.

Our frats were 40-70 people. Nothing like at the big schools.

#19 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-07 02:04 PM | Reply

Re #19 - I know that's why most people join. But some frats do weird stuff with their pledges like the "elephant walk". And every frat had at least one guy who always wants to take the messing with passed out dude fun to some creepy semi-sexual place. Basically if youre a Kevin Spacey type looking for easy access to other dude's junk, a frat is the perfect cover.

#20 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-07 02:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Seriously though, I joined for access to parties
#19 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

I built a stripper pole in my dorm first year of uni and got into every frat party I wanted from then on out, without having to join. I did athletics though, so I didn't have the time for pledging.

#21 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-07 02:36 PM | Reply

Of course. I think every circle of friends has a whacked out buddy, or several...

Most of the hazing was hilarious. We'd get home and laugh for hours about somebody's misfortune while pledging.
I never hazed anyone once I got in other than kidnapping them. The kidnaps were the best part. You'd be blindfolded, given beer or pot, taken someplace no more than two hours away (usually the driver's hometown) and then left there with another pledge drunk and stoned with no money to get home and unaware of where you were. You also had to bring a souvenir from your trip or trips.

There was a guy that always wanted to put beer on people's wangs. That burned like a mofo.

#22 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-07 02:46 PM | Reply

"Actually they do on campus, Cadets can't drink or possess alcohol on the campus of the Academies."

USAFA had a place on campus where you could get pitchers of beer...or so I was told by my Zoomie buddies. I suppose they could have closed it down though.

#23 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-07 03:50 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by 101Chairborne

Man - all these descriptions of yours sound like Michigan Tech back in the day. Of course while I was up there one of the frats got in major trouble (for the time) for a "kidnap" - kid almost died from alcohol poisoning and hypothermia...

#24 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-11-07 05:50 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by GalaxiePete I could care less about Frats now, but back when I was in school, I absolutely hated Frat-rats. I worked full time, and I lived in dumps, making minimum wadge. I guess I was envious of the unearned privilege and resented the snide remarks they would make as I attended class in my work cloths after working all night. But as a principle of law, the right of freedom of association trumps the University's control everywhere but the campus.

#25 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-11-08 09:24 AM | Reply