Monday, November 06, 2017

U.S. President Donald Trump is visiting Japan right now, and as he is wont to do, took a moment to drum up some foolish statement about the auto industry, which he objectively does not understand. Speaking to a group of business leaders in Tokyo, Trump reportedly said: "Try building your cars in the United States instead of shipping them over. That's not too much to ask. Is that rude to ask?" Let us be very clear that most of the Japanese automakers have huge manufacturing bases in America, and have for decades now. Toyota has manufacturing facilities in Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia and Texas. Honda has plants in Ohio, Indiana, Alabama and Georgia and now exports more U.S.-made cars than it imports. Subaru's in Indiana, Nissan is in Tennessee and Alabama, and even tiny Mazda is planning to build a plant here soon -- with Toyota.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

So at best here Trump is asking these automakers to do something they have already done, are doing, and will do in the future. Which he seems to know, now? But saying "try building your cars in the United States instead of shipping them over" is still a bizarre statement. Also, it gives no sense that he understands the scale to which these automakers build cars here, which is massive.

And given more than a year of demonstrated ignorance about the auto industry -- whether he's talking about German cars, cars built in Mexico or Japanese cars -- it's near-impossible to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comments

... even tiny Mazda is planning to build a plant here soon -- with Toyota. ...

At one point, Mazda built Fords in the Mazda factory in the US, if my hazy memory is correct. Late-80's I believe. Also, I believe the super-popular Ford Explorer SUV was really designed by Mazda as their own SUV.

At some point, Mazda and Ford went their separate ways.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-06 12:32 PM | Reply

GM and Toyota built Corollas together may years ago. As I recall the GM version was a Chevy, the model name I can't recall. I think that was way back in the 1980's.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 01:01 PM | Reply

Did you even read what he said in your own link?

"But I must say, Toyota and Mazda -- where are you? Are you here, anybody? Toyota? Mazda? I thought so. Oh, I thought that was you. That's big stuff. Congratulations. Come on, let me shake your hand. (Applause.) They're going to invest $1.6 billion in building a new manufacturing plant, which will create as many as 4,000 new jobs in the United States. Thank you very much. Appreciate it."

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-06 02:21 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 01:01 PMFlag: (Choose)FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusive

I think you're talking about the Geo Prism.

#4 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-11-06 04:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not sure if "build" is the correct term. They assemble cars here. They build the parts to do that globally, most of it not in America.

#5 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-06 08:56 PM | Reply

Trump Doesn't Know Japan Builds Cars in U.S?

....and the Germans and the Koreans.

Sitz, I believe that only 2 cars 100% manufactured in the US, Tesla Model X and T.

The automobile industry is very specialized in its parts, not to mentions labor costs, and thus requires global collaboration.

#6 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2017-11-06 09:13 PM | Reply

The Republicans wanted to let the auto industry fail. Not an important topic for them.

#7 | Posted by chuffy at 2017-11-06 09:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Maybe BLOTUS should try building his suits and ties in the US before he suggests other industries do what he will not. Oh that's right the Japanese auto manufacturers have a greater investment in American manufacturing than does Combover Caligula. Such a joke of a representative of this country.

#8 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2017-11-06 11:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

When his dumb ass returns and someone finally tells him about all of the Japanese manufacturing plants in the US, he will proclaim how effective he has been in convincing Japanese makers to build in the US.

#9 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2017-11-07 05:41 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#6 | POSTED BY CRISISSTILLS AT 2017-11-06 09:13 PM | FLAG:

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-07 07:22 AM | Reply

So does Germany...because labor rates are cheaper than Japan or Germany.

#11 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-07 08:01 AM | Reply

"Tesla is the only manufacturer I can't give you extensive Country Of Origin parts data on, but they have a dozen suppliers that aren't making the parts here in the US. Brembo does their brakes out of their Mexico factory."

So let's enact a VAT. I'm tired of people saying MAGA without the willingness to actually do what is required. Take a lesson from successful nations that still have high wages, follow the path of Germany not Mexico.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 08:12 AM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2017-11-07 08:12 AM | FLAG:

Tariffs and trade protectionism will not Make America Great Again.

You need to jump on the Hillary train and accept global trade, you can't have hegemony without it.

#13 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-07 08:20 AM | Reply

Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 08:12 AM | Reply

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-07 08:21 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2017-11-06 01:01 PM | FLAG:

That was the Chevy Geo Prism btw. The Corolla and Prism of that era were identical except for badging, and price tag. The Corolla was more expensive and sold more due to a far better reputation for reliability and superior dealer side customer service.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-07 08:24 AM | Reply

"The Corolla was more expensive and sold more due to a far better reputation for reliability and superior dealer side customer service."

So then, those who bought the Corolla were sort of dumb. I thought so at the time.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 08:29 AM | Reply

"So the poor will pay more for the goods that they need. "Brilliant"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So the poor might not be poor like they do in Germany and Japan. You want to change things, you have to actually change things. A race to the bottom will not, in the long run, benefit the poor. It will just create more poor people.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 08:30 AM | Reply

And Laura, what do you think Germans would tell you about VAT? Do you think they like working for high wages? Having great benefits that Americans don't even dream of having? Who really benefits from cheap goods imported from China? Goods that we used to produce in the United States with workers earning high incomes? Your comment is a total acceptance of the b.s. the billionaires want you to accept.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 08:33 AM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2017-11-07 08:29 AM | FLAG:

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-07 09:17 AM | Reply

"Better customer service, lower depreciation, and higher re-sale value. No, not dumb. Dumb is taking a Prism and putting Corolla badges on it, then trying to sell it as a Corolla when people can just pull the VIN and see what it really is. That happened more than you can imagine."

Whatever, it's still dumb to pay more for the same car just because it has different badges on it.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 09:32 AM | Reply

"Better customer service, lower depreciation, and higher re-sale value."

Your claim is not a fact, it's just your opinion. Better customer service? I've gotten very bad service from Toyota dealers. They operate virtually identically as all the other car makers' dealerships. You are a victim of propaganda and don't even realize it.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 09:34 AM | Reply

No my claims are empirical fact. Here's an opinion: You get bad service because you're a nightmare customer nobody wants to do anything for.

#22 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-07 09:49 AM | Reply

I have never had my car serviced at a dealership. Once the key had broken off in my ignition. The dealer wanted $650 to fix it. I called AAA and they came to me and I had a new key and the old piece removed in 20 minutes for $50. My alternator developed a short. The dealer quoted me $550 and 3 day service. I bought a new alternator for $170 and a new belt for $22 and took it to a local shop where they installed for $89 in about 45 minutes. Haven't bothered to call the dealership for a quote since.

#23 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-11-07 01:27 PM | Reply

Epic headline fail and it's precisely why trust in the media is at an all-time low. This piece is one day after Koi-gate, which was a deceptively edited video by CNN of Trump dumping fish food into a koi pond.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-07 01:44 PM | Reply

"No my claims are empirical fact."

You don't even seem to know the actual meaning of the words you use, and I usually get fine service wherever I go because I am very easy to get along with, I'm very flexible and people I deal with appreciate it.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 03:04 PM | Reply

Danni,

Empirical fact would be in the aggregate, through customer service surveys, etc.

Your own personal experience is anecdotal.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-07 03:05 PM | Reply

"Your own personal experience is anecdotal."

And Sitz was expressing an opinion which is not a fact.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 03:06 PM | Reply

Best service I've ever received was on my Mini and thankfully I had a service contract because God was it expensive. I no long own that car it was just too expensive to maintain. Now I drive a Toyota Corolla which I recently had service work done on at a Toyota dealer. They were good, no complaints on my part.

#28 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 03:08 PM | Reply

And Sitz was expressing an opinion which is not a fact.

#27 | POSTED BY DANNI

I'd wager he's citing studies that measure car dealer service by brand.

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-07 03:08 PM | Reply

I remember when you announced you got the Mini.

I was pleased to hear that you got it with a manual transmission.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-07 03:09 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY CRISISSTILLS

Wow made in America and the only cars that can run on coal. Trump folks would love Tesla if it weren't a California company founded by a real billionaire that happens to be an immigrant.

#31 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-07 03:45 PM | Reply

"Better customer service, lower depreciation, and higher re-sale value."
Your claim is not a fact, it's just your opinion.
#21 | POSTED BY DANNI

All three of those are provable metrics. And that is a fact.

#32 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-07 03:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

All three of those are provable metrics. And that is a fact.

#32 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES

Wow. You posted something I wholly agree with. You get a NW.

#33 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-07 05:48 PM | Reply

I'd wager he's citing studies that measure car dealer service by brand.

#29 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2017-11-07 03:08 PM | REPLY

Correct. Dealer surveys massively changed the industry. Personal punishment, manager punishment, dealer punishment. Turns out it's effective, and you can measure it.

#34 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-07 06:06 PM | Reply

Now to follow that, guess what brands implemented them first and wide scale. HINY: NOT GM.

#35 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-07 06:08 PM | Reply

Haven't bothered to call the dealership for a quote since.

#23 | POSTED BY HATTER5183 AT 2017-11-07 01:27 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

The only time I would use the dealership is for warranty work.

#36 | Posted by 726 at 2017-11-08 09:51 AM | Reply