Monday, November 06, 2017

You may have seen this photo of President Donald Trump's motorcade winding down a wooded road last week as a woman on a bicycle pedaled by ― giving the middle finger to Trump. The picture, snapped by a White House photographer traveling with the president as he left his golf course in Sterling, Va., went viral almost immediately. News outlets picked up the story when it appeared in a White House pool report. Late-night talk show hosts told jokes about the encounter and people on social media began hailing the unidentified woman as a "she-ro," using the hashtag #Her2020. The woman's name is Juli Briskman. Her employer, government contractor Akima LLC, wasn't so happy about the photo. They fired her over it.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Virginia is an employment-at-will state, meaning employers can fire people anytime and for any reason. But Briskman said what's been particularly infuriating is that a male colleague kept his job after recently posting lewd comments on his Facebook page that featured Akima LLC as his cover photo. She said this colleague was reprimanded for calling someone "a --- --- ---" on Facebook, but was allowed to delete the post and keep his job.

"How is that any less 'obscene' than me flipping off the president?" she asked. "How is that fair?"

Comments

Obviously Akima executives do not believe in the first amendment to the Constitution.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 08:47 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

The exercised her right to free speech and her employer exercised their right to fire her over it. The media coverage clearly must have included reference to her employer and they weren't happy about it. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-11-06 08:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017

Trump deserves to be flipped off. If she opens a Go Fund Me I'll send her a C-note.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-06 08:56 AM | Reply

You're gonna need your own Go Fund Me page to get the C-Note.

#4 | Posted by cookfish at 2017-11-06 09:07 AM | Reply | Funny: 5

"The exercised her right to free speech and her employer exercised their right to fire her over it."

A right which should not actually be a right, employees, on their own time should have the right to express their own opinions and you and her employer are siding with King George III. States with "employment at will" are reactionary, anti-labor s**t holes.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 09:20 AM | Reply

#5 I don't think a lack of at-will would have mattered in this case. This is "for cause". Her actions resulted in media coverage that portrayed her employer in a manner that her employer believed was harmful. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. If a Coca-Cola employee wore a Pepsi shirt to work, Coke would fire them. If an IRS employee wore a "taxation is theft" t-shirt to work, they would not be working for the IRS the next day.

#6 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-11-06 09:49 AM | Reply

Mustang, she didn't do this at work. She did it on her own time. She didn't take the picture and her facebook page said nothing about her employer. Vindictive Trumpers tracked her down and discovered where she worked, she didn't publicize it. This firing was just typical of Trumpers I've peronally had arguments with recently. Mean a******s who don't believe anyone else should get to speak out over they loud mouths. I honestly can tell you, my experience recently with Trump supporters convinced me, they are just a******s and this company is just an expression of that.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 10:03 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY DANNI

Why didn't you stand by me?
~ Brendan Eich

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-11-06 10:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | Posted by cookfish

I'll send the money in under your name.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-06 10:38 AM | Reply

#7 It looked to me like she was wearing a company logo cycling shirt when she did what she did - not hard to track down. It doesn't matter who took the photo or if she intended to have her actions associated with her company; the picture shows an employee of Akima LLC flipping off the President. Akima didn't think it was a good business decision to retain her services. Like I said: for cause.

#10 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-11-06 10:49 AM | Reply

"Why didn't you stand by me?
~ Brendan Eich"

How do you know I didn't? I certainly never called for him to lose his job over any position he supported. He actually did receive support from many prominent gay people who totally supported his right to express his views.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 10:51 AM | Reply

" But Briskman said what's been particularly infuriating is that a male colleague kept his job after recently posting lewd comments on his Facebook page that featured Akima LLC as his cover photo. She said this colleague was reprimanded for calling someone "a ------- ------- -------" on Facebook, but was allowed to delete the post and keep his job."

And Mustang, I went to Akima's website and I seriously doubt that she was wearing a shirt with their logo on it. I even tried to blow it up in Photoshop but couldn't get a good enough image so how do you determine that she was wearing such a shirt. It does not say that in the article.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 10:58 AM | Reply

Lewd? How is that a lewd comment?

Let's ditch "offensive" flag for the "lewd" flag and compare results after a month.

#13 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-06 11:24 AM | Reply

@#7 | Posted by Danni at 2017-11-06 10:03 AM
Did you also disapprove of people doxxing the neo-nazi marchers at Charlottesville? Or would you not approve of their employers firing those same neo-nazis? I suppose you should make use of your voice to protest the company doing the firing, at least.

#14 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-06 11:53 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY DANNI

Danni, do you really believe that you can't be fired for how you behave outside of work? Please tell me that's not the case.

#15 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2017-11-06 09:58 PM | Reply

I'm not so certain they have the right to fire her for free expression when she's on her own time. That might make for an interesting case.

#16 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2017-11-06 10:02 PM | Reply

I wish I could boycott these --------

#17 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-06 10:14 PM | Reply

BTW this is just further proof that trumptilians are petty vengeful --------

#18 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-06 10:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Troofy,

How do you know that the decision makers in this company are "Trumptilians"?

PS - I think it's ridiculous that she got fired over this.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-06 11:22 PM | Reply

Troofy,
How do you know that the decision makers in this company are "Trumptilians"?
PS - I think it's ridiculous that she got fired over this.
#19 | Posted by JeffJ

Not firing the guy who bitched about ------- -------- with the company slogan on their website and this lady getting fired for giving trump the finger and as far as I can tell she brought the issue to her company's attention

#20 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-06 11:27 PM | Reply

"their" should be his facebook

#21 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-06 11:28 PM | Reply

I wasn't aware of the first part, Troofy.

Yeah - Trumptillians. And you are being kind. We are talking about peoples' livelihood, for Pete's sake.

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-06 11:31 PM | Reply

And to be honest if this were reversed, if say some guy got fired over giving Obama the finger i'd be disgusted.

--me trying to sound non-hypocritical

#23 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-06 11:38 PM | Reply

--me trying to sound non-hypocritical

#23 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS

For whatever it's worth, I don't doubt that at all.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-06 11:40 PM | Reply

If Akima LLC is a government contractor then their contracts should be canceled for violating Ms. Briskman's First Amendment Rights.

#25 | Posted by squinch at 2017-11-06 11:47 PM | Reply

I'll tell you a little story about something similar that happened to my son.

it was around the time of the Haiti earthquake.

His friend set up on facebook, I think, a Haiti Haters message board, basically the point being that why are we giving money to Haiti when we have very poor people here in America. Yes it was stupid, but not necessarily vindictive or insulting. Just a teenager questioning the world. and yes Haiti Haters is a horrible name. But the discussion was not about hating Haitians, just about priorities of money spending.

now my son participated but didn't really post more along the lines of deleting messages from the chat that were too negative.

Again, a stupid thing to do, all agreed.

he was going to an exclusive catholic private school at the time and one of the kids reported the facebook chat to the school. The school was not part of the facebook conversation, nor was it's name anywhere near it.

My son is a great kid, NEVER any trouble, responsible, respectful, always treats people well, lots of friends, good grades, participated in lots of school activities.

The school suspended him for 2 weeks (in school, so it was basically sit in a classroom for 7 hours a day doing nothing), kicked him out of the National Honor Society, didn't let him go on the senior trip that he had paid for (around $1K) that the school didn't refund, didn't allow him at any school function, didn't allow him to attend prom. Did EVERYTHING but expel him and the reason they didn't do that is cause they knew that if they did they would be sued. They let him attend graduation, but again, only to be able to hold that over his head to keep us from raising a stink, as they threatened him with taking that away.

Now I accept that he made a mistake, but there was NO proportionality in the response. The school was SOLELY interested in how THEY looked. They said that to him. His punishment had NOTHING to do with teaching him a lesson about his actions. And again, he realized once it was over how stupid it was, (the whole online episode lasted a couple of hours). He was just too young to understand the true poverty of Haiti and the devastation of the earthquake. AND he was in his own way questioning and exploring morality. The poor people he was talking about live in a neighboring city (Camden NJ) that he had experienced through community service.

So I have personal experience with this type of injustice.

Funny thing, was my ex wife wouldn't tell me about what was going on (we were separated at the time) at the time (i.e. meeting with the school) cause she knew I would have gone off on the school. We were at the point where we were worried the school would contact the College he got into to get him kicked out of there.

Karma works though, cause the school is having a difficult time finding students, may close in a couple of years. They are down like 25% on number of students since my son was there. AND I have 3 other kids who could have gone there. So I guess we "won" in the end.

#26 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-06 11:55 PM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS

Wow!

I agree 1000% (not a typo). Grossly disproportionate punishment relative to the crime.

Sorry to hear about that, bro.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-07 12:01 AM | Reply

No problem my son is very well adjusted, has a great job, great girlfriend and lots of friends, so all worked out in the end.

#28 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-07 12:02 AM | Reply

Funny thing is that the school sent him into Camden for community service ie help at soup kitchens that sort of thing, which will of course resulted in him questioning WHY this poverty and what can we do about it. That was what the whole mess was about. Poorly executed without a doubt, but its not like they were calling the Haitians subhumans or anything, just saying why spend money overseas when we need it here, you know the sort of thing you expect when teaching a privileged teen who is not experienced in the world. The response should have been well HERE is why you volunteer, this is the truth about the devastation in Haiti, YOU are a privileged middle class person in a very wealthy country, etc. you know TEACHING.

ok, I'm not as well adjusted over this as my son is.

#29 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-07 12:08 AM | Reply

He has a wise, worldly, compassionate father who obviously set a great example for him to follow.

Kudos Truthy, you and the missus did very well and that's all we can ask of ourselves as parents.

#30 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-11-07 12:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

aww shucks!
you are too kind!

#31 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-07 12:37 AM | Reply

Because we love free speech and free markets.

#32 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-07 08:04 AM | Reply

#33 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-07 09:51 AM | Reply

"AND I have 3 other kids who could have gone there. So I guess we "won" in the end."

He who laughs last, laughs best!

#34 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 10:16 AM | Reply

"She should have kept her mouth shut about it being her instead of proactively reporting herself to HR. It's like acknowledging wrong doing on her own part."

As usual HR was a bunch of a*****s, they should have just advised her to keep quiet about it.

#35 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 10:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#35 - HR's 1st loyalty is always to the company. They are not there to advocate for employees. Unfortunately a lot of people realize this only after they've dealt with HR. They will help you if they think there will be negative consequences to the company if the don't. If you can't make that case there is no reason to contact them.

#36 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-07 10:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This crap again.

The beatings will continue until moral improves.

#37 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-11-07 04:47 PM | Reply