Friday, November 03, 2017

Four Jersey City police officers have been indicted in connection with a police chase and fiery crash that involved officers dragging and beating an innocent man who was on fire. Two are facing attempted murder charges. The incident happened June 4 and the end of it was captured on cellphone video. Officers were trying to stop a car near Ocean and Cator avenues, but the driver -- 48-year-old Leo Pinkston -- fled and eventually crashed into another car driven by 28-year-old Miguel Feliz. Feliz's car hit a utility pole and burst into flames, injuring Feliz. It's what happened next that raised some eyebrows. In the video, it appears the first officer goes up and kicks Feliz, knocking him down. Another officer appears to kick him as well. The officers then drag him away from the fire scene, off the sidewalk and into the road. He was eventually hospitalized with severe burns.

Comments

"The Jersey City police union said they stand by their officers and will wait for their day in court."

of course they are... the thin blue line.

#1 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11-03 04:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Boaz will be along to tell us that if either cop was burned while beating the guy who was on fire, he should be charged with assaulting a cop.

#2 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-03 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#3 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-03 04:17 PM | Reply

It looks like the first cop kicks him to get him down and then swipes his foot across his back/side in order to put the fire out.
I have no idea what the second officer kicked him for.
Then they drug him by his feet away from the scene.

I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt, but if I was going to I'd say one cop was helping and the other idiot saw the kick and assumed that was the driver they were pursuing so he kicked him too.
As for dragging him by the feet...it could have been because the rest of him was smoldering, but again, they've lost the benefit of the doubt.

That being said, attempted murder is waaaaaaay out of line.

#4 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-03 04:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

They were helping him by beating back the flames.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-03 04:27 PM | Reply

"That being said, attempted murder is waaaaaaay out of line."

Golly, you mean the DA picked a charge he knew wouldn't stick to his pig buddies?

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-03 04:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

The police were just practicing the age old method of dealing with someone on fire: Stop, Dropkick and Kick Some More

#7 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-03 04:31 PM | Reply

They were in fear for their lives.

Of course.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-03 04:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#1 | POSTED BY KLIFFERD

Should be the think-skinned blue line.

#9 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-03 04:56 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#4 ... That being said, attempted murder is waaaaaaay out of line. ...

It is not made it to the website yet, but I saw on the 4PM WABC-TV news that additional information was released. The attempted murder charges are against the two officers because of what happened during the car chase, not because of the beating of the innocent man.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-03 05:07 PM | Reply

Body cameras. Gotta happen. The common theme I see with cops being caught and prosecuted here lately has been video footage. Make it mandatory for any public interactions between cops and civilians.

#11 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-11-03 07:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Lamp,
Thanks for the info.
Any idea what transpired during the chase to warrant attempted murder charges?

Car chases and police dog attacks are two things I always see going sideways.

#12 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-03 07:20 PM | Reply

Maybe the "fine" officers were scared Mr.Feliz, was going to command the flames to jump onto them and thus assault the boys in blue?????

#13 | Posted by zelkova at 2017-11-03 08:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Plausible.
Then: Flame on! (Flies away like a comet)

#14 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-03 10:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Rule No. 1

Don't go to Jersey City.

Rule No. 2

NEVER forget Rule No. 1

-anyone who lives in the Tri-State Area

#15 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-04 12:16 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Jersey city certainly has its bad sections, but anyone from the Tri-state area that has been there in the last couple of years knows that much of that area is being gentrified, and some of the areas near the waterfront and Hoboken are beautiful.

#16 | Posted by schmanch at 2017-11-04 11:24 AM | Reply

@#12 ... Any idea what transpired during the chase to warrant attempted murder charges? ...

From what I saw on the news segment, the officers were shooting at the car they were chasing.

Based on what was shown, definitely not enough info in the news segment to come to any manner of an opinion.

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-04 12:17 PM | Reply

@#15 ... Don't go to Jersey City. ...

I've been to Jersey City dozens of times. Sure, there are areas that I avoid, but for the most part, I don't see it warranting the general put-down you proffer.

#18 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-04 12:19 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2017-11-04 12:16 AM | FLAG:

Many years ago, I blacked out drunk in NYC and when my senses came back to me, I had no idea where I was or how I got there. It was an extremely disturbing experience.

My first priority was to figure out where I was so I started looking for signs or landmarks. I saw some water so I walked a block in that direction. The shame and fear I was feeling over having lost complete control of my person quickly melted into the background as a wave of absolute horror overtook me: I was looking across the Hudson River at the NYC skyline. I was in Jersey City.

#19 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-04 01:07 PM | Reply

@#19 ... I was looking across the Hudson River at the NYC skyline. I was in Jersey City. ...

It is a nice view. :)

Nice view from Hoboken as well...
commons.wikimedia.org

#20 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-04 01:26 PM | Reply

#20 - It really wasn't that bad. I was not in a bad area. Close to the financial center and got lucky and found a well lit ATM and then a cab right away.

#21 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-04 01:36 PM | Reply

Deserves a horrifying flag.

#22 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-04 07:29 PM | Reply

"Don't go to Jersey City."

hahahahahhahahah.

As I've stated on another thread, I'm having my first. And I can't afford a two bedroom in Manhattan (well not without changing my lifestyle).

So many people are like.. oh jersey! HELLS NO!

#23 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11-06 08:55 AM | Reply