Friday, November 03, 2017

Now, a year after the election -- and more than a year after Trump first made that pledge to the American people -- many observers believe the swamp has grown into a sinkhole that threatens to swallow the entire Trump administration. The number of White House officials currently facing questions, lawsuits or investigation is astonishing ... [A]ccording to the presidential historian Robert Dallek, no American leader has acted with more unadulterated self-interest as Trump. Dallek says that in terms of outright corruption, Trump is worse than both Ulysses S. Grant and Warren G. Harding, presidents who oversaw the most flagrant instances of graft in American political history.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"What makes this different," Dallek says, "is that the president can't seem to speak the truth about a host of things." Trump isn't just allowing corruption, in Dallek's view, but encouraging it. "The fish rots from the head," he reminds.

Representative Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland, the ranking Democrat on the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, puts the matter even more bluntly: "I've never seen anything like this."

Comments

Excellent article.

The cover was great as well.

#1 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-02 05:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He got the swamp monsters out and put the sewer monsters in.

#2 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-02 05:22 PM | Reply

It's almost like someone put a game show host in charge of the US government...

#3 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-03 08:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

It's kind of funny because this Administration is less than a year old but the article makes a plausible argument that it is already the most corrupt in US history. I seriously wonder why more so-call Trump supporters are not upset by this.

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-11-03 02:41 PM | Reply

Moder8:
They aren't upset because they are too stubborn and blinded by hate to admit they could EVER be wrong.

#5 | Posted by e1g1 at 2017-11-03 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Most corrupt in US history? When will you limp wristlets finally get a grip?
You guys are worse than high school girls with the over the top hysterics.

Most polarizing? An argument can be made.
Most unqualified? An argument can be made.
Most ridiculous? An argument can be made.

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-03 03:06 PM | Reply

It's easily the most.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-03 03:14 PM | Reply

Most corrupt in US history? When will you limp wristlets finally get a grip?
You guys are worse than high school girls with the over the top hysterics.
Most polarizing? An argument can be made.
Most unqualified? An argument can be made.
Most ridiculous? An argument can be made.

#6 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

Not most corrupt? An argument could be made for 2nd.

Thanks for the clarification.

#8 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-03 03:27 PM | Reply

An argument can be made.

#6 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

So when will you make it?

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-03 03:31 PM | Reply

Not most corrupt? An argument could be made for 2nd.
Thanks for the clarification.

#8 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

In time, that may prove to be the case. But less than 1 year in?

This is a dumb thread.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-03 04:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Dubya's illegal invasion into Iraq trumps Trump at the current time. Nothing worse than perpetrating war crimes and crimes against humanity.

#11 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-03 04:07 PM | Reply

In time, that may prove to be the case. But less than 1 year in?
This is a dumb thread.
#10 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Worse than less than a year. The day after election.

#12 | Posted by Ray at 2017-11-03 04:36 PM | Reply

Zephyr Teachout, a Fordham University law professor

#13 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-03 04:41 PM | Reply

"Zephyr? Teachout? Really? A professor? Come on, is he a Bond villain or something?"

She.

#14 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-11-03 04:52 PM | Reply

The most corrupt? They left office in 2001.

#15 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-11-03 05:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

In time, that may prove to be the case. But less than 1 year in?
This is a dumb thread.

#10 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Watch something other than Fox & Friends and you might have a clue.

#16 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-03 05:27 PM | Reply

The most corrupt? They left office in 2001.

#15 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Sniper gets all his news from 4chan and bumper stickers.

#17 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-03 05:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"In time, that may prove to be the case. But less than 1 year in?"

#18 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-03 05:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"When will you limp wristlets finally get a grip?
You guys are worse than high school girls..."

~101st -------.

Spoken like a middle school girl.
See how that works?

#19 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2017-11-03 09:27 PM | Reply

Most corrupt in US history? When will you limp wristlets finally get a grip?
You guys are worse than high school girls with the over the top hysterics.

#6 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE AT

This is a dumb thread.

#10 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT

Did either of you read the article?

#20 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-04 09:01 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Most corrupt? Must not have paid attention to the eight previous years.

#21 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-04 12:53 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

And another.

You guys could have simply said "I didn't read the article, but the black guy was wwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyy worse. I mean, he was BLACK!"

#22 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-04 12:58 PM | Reply

Feel free to scour history, and point to any prior President being investigated for obstruction of justice by this juncture. - #18 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-03 05:32 PM
An investigation is not the same as a conviction. If the investigation comes back declining to press any charges...is it still the most corrupt?
Looks like the article covers it pretty well: "An allegation of corruption is, of course, not proof that corruption took place, but when has the American body politic ever awaited certitude before passing judgment?"

#23 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-04 01:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'll bite. What would make YOU certain?

#24 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 01:36 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 01:37 PM | Reply

You guys are worse than high school girls with the over the top hysterics.
#6 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE AT
This is a dumb thread.
#10 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT
Did either of you read the article?
#20 | POSTED BY MRSILENCEDOGOOD

Bwahahaha!

That is funny stuff! I don't care who you are.

I needed that!😜🤪😝

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-04 01:37 PM | Reply

The article breaks it down and explains how they came to their conclusion.

Why does the the person who runs the DOE need a million dollar per month security detail, and how many millions of dollars will end up being spent so a guy who is worth 500 million or so can avoid going through airport security?

I get it, you don't want to admit that you see what you see.

#27 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-04 02:00 PM | Reply

Re 27

I know. And I think it is hilarious to think they read the article and understood the gravity of the situation.

They have their Alternate Facts. Those contradict actual Facts. Actual Facts are to be denied or made fun of.

Maybe they could name the administration that was more corrupt than this one?

No. That would require a discussion of actual Facts.

Welcome to Fantasyland.

And we are only one year in.

#28 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-04 02:23 PM | Reply

I'll bite. What would make YOU certain? - #24 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 01:36 PM
Prosecution of a criminal case with a conviction? Looking deeper into it, that appears to be more closely political corruption than just corruption.
Political corruption is the abuse of public power, office, or resources by elected government officials for personal gain, by extortion, soliciting or offering bribes. It can also take the form of office holders maintaining themselves in office by purchasing votes by enacting laws which use taxpayers' money. People using aircraft to move around on government business? If it were an administration that the reporter agreed with, I doubt there'd be an article. Especially since as soon as it was established, immediate steps were taking to prevent any further 'corruption'.

Let Trump release his taxes. It will be much easier to see what he's stolen then. - #25 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 01:37 PM
The federal government (the people who would making the case) already has access to his tax returns. They are filed with the IRS, and presumably have been audited by the professionals there. There's nothing to be gained by you or I seeing them. His right to privacy is not trumped by our desire to see his tax returns.

It's happening though, and it doesn't matter what sort of names you call the people who point it out. - #27 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-04 02:00 PM
It will be difficult to make this statement without it coming off as whataboutism. The standard for what is acceptable by our government actors has been set by the precedent of all of the previous administrations. Wasteful use of government funds by those in power certainly is not a new thing. There was much consternation about separate jets used to move the first family around in the last administration. Honestly I'm not more concerned about that than I am about much of what goes on today.

I'm pretty fiscally conservative. There's kind of a general malaise today that has been built up for decades about the spending habits of our government. You'll hear a lot of conservatives complain about government waste, fraud, and abuse (mostly during Democratic administrations), but it seems to be baked into the pie now. Do I like that our government wastes a ton of money? No, I do not. I also do not believe that it rises to the level of corruption. Or, that if it does, it is no more corrupt that the previous years worth. As a DOD employee, I see a good amount of waste. It is sad in retrospect, but just part of business as usual in the day-to-day.

#29 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-04 02:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

"An investigation is not the same as a conviction. "

True, but that wasn't my challenge.

#30 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-04 03:26 PM | Reply

"As a DOD employee, I see a good amount of waste. It is sad in retrospect, but just part of business as usual in the day-to-day."

I think we've discovered the root of some of the problems.

#31 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-04 03:27 PM | Reply

Trump's privacy DOES NOT supercede the public's need to see how much he is personally reaping from, say, charging the government for office space and room rentals.

I want to see how rich Trump gets while he's in office, and how. The benefits to the nation are obvious to any honest American.

#32 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 03:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I want to see how much Trump benefits financially from executive orders he writes and the laws he supports.

I especially want to know how much he will benefit from tax reform, so called.

This is all basic stuff. You get it. You don't care

#33 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 03:37 PM | Reply

In regards to your standard of guilt for corruption, you rightly state that this in part a political matter.

Inpeachment is a political process.

#34 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 03:39 PM | Reply

You did see Trump admit to the firing of Comey because of the Russia investigation, right? - #30 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-04 03:26 PM
No, I did not see that. I did read the transcript though where he doesn't say that.
Have you?

#35 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-04 04:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I especially want to know how much he will benefit from tax reform, so called. This is all basic stuff. You get it. You don't care - #33 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 03:37 PM
I don't believe that being a liar, a bad leader, or even a bully are sufficient reasons to change how we treat our citizens. If evidence exists of a crime, we have a method, as a country, of handling it regardless of who sits in the Oval Office. I understand that people are so unhappy with him that they are willing to discard their moral compass to try to pull him down. Or maybe they're just willing to admit that they didn't have one to begin with.

Inpeachment is a political process. - #34 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 03:39 PM
So far the political process has determined that there is no reason to Impeach President Trump. I'm sure when the political process has determined that there is cause & will to impeach, it will happen. The less-political process of making charges and producing evidence would move that political process right along.

#36 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-04 04:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

"I did read the transcript though where he doesn't say that."

Try the English language. Specifically, the part where Trump says "...in fact, when I decided to just (fire Comey), I said to myself -- I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story."

"I understand that people are so unhappy with him that they are willing to discard their moral compass"

You realize that statement drips with irony...right?

#37 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-04 06:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

As was said, you get it but don't care. Three cents per word, right?

#38 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-04 06:37 PM | Reply

@#37 him stating that he thinks the whole russia thing is a made-up story is not the same as him saying that he's firing Comey because of the Russia thing. Those two things aren't the same. You can honestly claim that you think that's what he meant, but to say that 'Trump admit[ed] to the firing of Comey because of the Russia investigation,' is just not true.

#39 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-04 10:35 PM | Reply

#38 Zed No idea what 3cent per word relates to. You, evidently, think it is ok to figure out a work-around to strip a US citizen of his rights, and I don't. I guess that's as far as we're going to get with that.
The weirdest part is that people claim that I'm acting as a Russian agent as they nonchalantly go about advocating for the abrogation of the rights of US citizens because of their feelings or their fears. Bizarre.

#40 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-04 10:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

He had made a recommendation. But regardless of recommendation, I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it

And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself -- I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should've won.

And the reason they should've won it is the electoral college is almost impossible for a Republican to win. It's very hard because you start off at such a disadvantage. So, everybody was thinking they should've won the election. This was an excuse for having lost an election.

Avigdore, you can say that it wasn't over Russia, but clearly TRUMP says it was about Russia

#41 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-04 11:00 PM | Reply

No, Trump clearly says that he was considering Russia when he did the firing, not that the fired Comey because of Russia.
I took into account the feelings that my parents would have when I moved to another state. That does not mean that I moved to another state because of my parents.
I assume you consider LOTS of things when you quit your last job (how much savings you have, could you find a new job, will the grass really be greener), that doesn't mean you quit your job because of those things.

#42 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-04 11:23 PM | Reply

You realize that statement drips with irony...right? - #37 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-04 06:24 PM
No I don't see it dripping with irony. How so?

#43 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-04 11:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

www.nytimes.com

#44 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-11-05 01:08 AM | Reply

You're confused, sick, or a Russian.

#45 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-05 08:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"@#37 him stating that he thinks the whole russia thing is a made-up story is not the same as him saying that he's firing Comey because of the Russia thing."

Except that he said exactly that.

"Trump Told Russians That Firing ‘Nut Job' Comey Eased Pressure From Investigation"

""I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job," Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. "I faced great pressure because of Russia. That's taken off."

Mr. Trump added, "I'm not under investigation."

www.nytimes.com

I'm convinced Avigdore is a paid Russian troll. I take nothing he posts seriously, it's all bull s**t designed to undermine those of us who don't like having Putin's bitch as our President.

#46 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-05 08:36 AM | Reply

Avigdore is exposed. Expect a new name to appear soon. The Kremlin will not look kindly on his stupidity. He couldn't do his job well enough to fool Americans. He's simply a dumb ass. The Kremlin doesn't endure dumb asses well.

#47 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-05 08:38 AM | Reply

who don't like having Putin's bitch as our President.

#46 | POSTED BY DANNI

Hey wait, she lost!

#48 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-11-05 11:46 AM | Reply

Putin's bitch in action.

#49 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2017-11-05 11:54 AM | Reply

Wow I thought this was a DNC thread!

#50 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-11-05 12:03 PM | Reply

Flynn and son are next for Mueller Monday.

#51 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2017-11-05 12:23 PM | Reply

"Hey wait, she lost!"

You can try to turn it around but EVERYONE knows who Putin's bitch is. Including you, your parents, your family, your friends, even Russians.

#52 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-05 12:39 PM | Reply

In time, that may prove to be the case. But less than 1 year in?
This is a dumb thread.
#10 | POSTED BY JEFFJ
Watch something other than Fox & Friends and you might have a clue.

#16 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

You seriously need to --------.

#53 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-11-05 12:53 PM | Reply

#44 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-11-05 01:08 AM
Do you happen to have the actual document that NYT was using for that report? Looks like NYT is citing someone reading excerpts from a summary of a meeting. Those 2 separate sentences may or may not have been sequential.

#54 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-05 01:39 PM | Reply

Better get ready Avigdore. You have got a lot more work to do ahead of you.

Mueller Monday is almost here.

Two more indictments and a cabinet member that has links to Vladimir Putin about to be announced.

#55 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-05 02:06 PM | Reply

I am looking forward to it. I don't have any problem with indictments, convictions, impeachment, any of it. It means evidence exists and is displayed. Our system is working as intended. I only have a problem with putting the cart before the horse. Because if those indictments don't come, people here will continue to claim ~ 'that it is all because some conspiracy by the right to protect this criminal'. When you begin with the false idea that his guilt has been proven and you share that incorrect belief, you are setting everyone up to rage against reality.

#56 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-11-05 02:34 PM | Reply

#52 | Posted by danni
Is this an out yourself thread?

#57 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-11-05 02:56 PM | Reply

You seriously need to --------.

#53 | Posted by JeffJ
Two times a day is enough for me.

#58 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-11-05 02:58 PM | Reply