Friday, November 03, 2017

The Louisiana Supreme Court has refused to hear an appeal from a suspect who says police should have stopped questioning him after he said, " ... so why don't you just give me a lawyer dog." Or did he ask for a "lawyer, dawg"? The state's top court didn't explain why it refused to hear the appeal by Warren Demesme, but a concurring justice said Demesme's request was ambiguous. According to the concurring justice, Scott Crichton, Demesme told police, "If y'all, this is how I feel, if y'all think I did it, I know that I didn't do it so why don't you just give me a lawyer dog cause this is not what's up." "In my view," Crichton wrote, "the defendant's ambiguous and equivocal reference to a 'lawyer dog' does not constitute an invocation of counsel that warrants termination of the interview."

Comments

It's okay, I can see how things like this happen:

About 20 years ago, something just like this happened to a friend of mine. He got arrested for trespassing in an abandoned house (he was homeless), and he was with his pet rott, on a leash. So the police called animal control and had it picked up, and it got euthanized before he even got to see a judge and plead. Granted, it was a very dangerous dog, because nothing is more dangerous that a rottwiller with a law degree.

But it really, really does make me worry about the safety of my lawyer cat. Will he be euthanized too before I can get any legal advice?

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-02 06:49 AM | Reply

The not racist at all Supreme Court of Louisiana actually ruled 7-1 that this guy asked for a dog to be his lawyer...

#2 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-02 11:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Nice headline. I saw this earlier this morning and wondered what someone could make of it.

#3 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-11-02 11:13 AM | Reply

The Panda bear was convicted of murder after the jury heard him saying, over and over again, "Eats shoots and leaves."

#4 | Posted by Hans at 2017-11-02 11:26 AM | Reply

how do you speak a comma?

#5 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2017-11-02 11:29 AM | Reply

"Let's eat, Grandma."
"Let's eat Grandma."

Commas save lives.

#6 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-11-02 11:35 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

Capitalization is important too. Like the time RCADE wrote about helping his Uncle -------- a horse.

#7 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-11-02 12:34 PM | Reply

Mmmm, that's good institutional racism!

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-02 12:56 PM | Reply

Women without men are nothing.

Women, without men, are nothing.

Women: without, men are nothing.

#9 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-11-02 02:04 PM | Reply

They also save relationships...
I'm sorry, I love you.
I'm sorry I love you.

But this decision is stupid.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-11-02 02:44 PM | Reply

Woe unto you also, ye *lawyers! For ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.

--Luke 11:46 (KJV)

*present company excepted.☺

#11 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-02 02:45 PM | Reply

I blame the french judicial system.

#12 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-02 04:45 PM | Reply

he's right.

#13 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-11-03 12:00 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

No, cats are too clever. It's why they are barred from serving on the Supreme Court.

#14 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-03 10:44 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY MRSILENCEDOGOOD

Some state Supreme Courts are just ridiculous. Likely this is going to the Feds.

#15 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-03 10:45 AM | Reply

Smart ass thug should have spoken English instead of slang. That being said, yes, he was asking for a lawyer.

#16 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-11-03 11:54 AM | Reply

#16 Have you read any presidential transcripts? it's actually the entire family of thugs who can't speak.

#17 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-03 12:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

har har har! Justice denied.

#18 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-11-03 08:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Everyone inside the judicial system live like kings pondering such things as whether he said dawg or dog, without having a f..ing clue. But depending on how conservative and mean the Judge is, it could well ruin your entire life.

#19 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-04 08:08 AM | Reply

The only reason a person should even be in Louisiana is if they're looking for the way out.

#20 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-04 04:34 PM | Reply