Wednesday, November 01, 2017

The tale of two women lost at sea for five months with their dogs is coming under increased scrutiny. The Coast Guard reports that their vessel had an emergency beacon (EPIRB) but they never activated it. "We asked why during this course of time did they not activate the EPIRB. She had stated they never felt like they were truly in distress, like in a 24-hour period they were going to die," said Coast Guard spokeswoman Petty Officer 2nd Class Tara Molle. The women didn't respond to questions from AP Monday.

Comments

So many questions on this one.

Why were they unable to jury rig any type of sail? Tons of line, intact forward spreader, plenty of fabric left on that main boom in the pics.

Why does the algae build up look like the boat was laying on its side for an extended period?

Why did they leave to cross the Pacific in peak typhoon season?

They survived "shark attacks"? Need a little detail on that one...

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-02 07:44 AM | Reply

I don't have all the details of the story, but here's my question: One of the women had never sailed before. I'm forced to ask if she even knew how to use the various communications equipment. The story sounds a little bit like an over-the-top version of the old "Dang, I ran out of gas...I guess we'll have to make out while we wait" ploy.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-11-02 08:18 AM | Reply

I thought it was fishy that the digs were still alive.

#3 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-02 10:31 AM | Reply

The fact that they went on this trip after knowing each other for less than a week was a little suspect.

#4 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-11-02 01:05 PM | Reply

Sitz,
I read that people said her boat was in rough shape before she left. What that means specifically, I don't know. I do know that even when I don't take my boat out on the water I still hop in the with a mask and snorkel and scrub her down at the dock.

This whole story is strange, but I don't get why it's still hanging around. Dont get me wrong, I'm all got people being held to account, but other than publically shaming them, what's to be gained by it?

#5 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-02 01:19 PM | Reply

OK, so they misled people and never were really in serious trouble.
In Washington DC, these people get elected to Congress.

#6 | Posted by e1g1 at 2017-11-02 01:41 PM | Reply

Ok 1. So they never activated the epirb so there was no emergency.

2. Their sails are furled, including the jib , which meant they did have sail power. They claimed to have so much sail damage they didn't have sufficient sail power. I'm calling BS. If they could furl both the mainsail and the jib then they had sail power and could have gone anywhere. Maybe, maybe at diminished capacity but definitely sailable....

#7 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2017-11-02 02:05 PM | Reply