Monday, October 30, 2017

Sunday night in Harvey-ravaged Houston, the Astros came from behind three times -- three times! -- to beat the Los Angeles Dodgers in 10 innings in Game 5 of the World Series (Houston 13, L.A. 12) to take a 3-2 series lead. The series shifts back to Dodger Stadium for Game 6 on Tuesday. After putting up five runs in the ninth inning in Game 4, the Dodgers opened Game 5 with the three runs in the first inning. And Dallas Keuchel helped them by allowing a leadoff single to Chris Taylor, then walking Justin Turner and Enrique Hernandez to load the bases. There have been 22 home runs and 2 grand slams in this series, so far, breaking records before its even over.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

For East Coasters the late night overtime till 1:38 a.m. made it difficult for those going to work Monday morning. The East Coast gets no respect. For me, watching on my DVR without extending the record sufficiently cut the games short repeatedly.

Comments

Having "great games" doesn't help mlb that much if a large chunk of their potential audience is sleeping. IMO the late start times even on weekends is an example of short sighted greed overriding long term business sense. If your team is not in it, making any effort to watch the WS is a waste of time for people on the east coast or young kids who won't get to see the game end. MLB is building indifference rather than memories for many fans.

/old man rant

#1 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-30 09:54 AM | Reply

I stayed up.

Worn out at the end, but worth every exhilarating moment. Instant classic.

#2 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-10-30 09:56 AM | Reply

Fantastic game. Incredible series. Go Astros!

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-30 10:45 AM | Reply

This World Series is crazy! Stayed up through Bregman's final hit (and another 1 1/2 hours after to let the adrenaline settle), what an amazing game. Although not sure if my heart can handle two more of these.

And yes, I was late to work this morning...

#4 | Posted by bartimus at 2017-10-30 11:29 AM | Reply

It was exciting, but nerve-racking. I wish the Dodger's would win it easily and all these record-setting games could happen next year.

#5 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-10-30 12:40 PM | Reply

The Astros have heart. They really do. Last night's victory was an act of focus and will. Last night's win would make John Wick proud.

#6 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-10-30 12:50 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY MODER8

What about that strike zone? Horrible from both team's perspectives.

#7 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-10-30 12:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This game went late even on the West Coast.

The ball is juiced. I mean more than usual this season. That should be its own thread. Morrow didn't give up a HR all season, last night he gave up two in seven pitches.

Commentators need to eat mushrooms or something, they're so stiff and wooden. It will be a great day for sports when we don't have Joe Buck to hate.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-30 01:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Its a conspiracy between MLB and TMobile to raise a crap ton of money for PR.

#9 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-10-30 01:05 PM | Reply

Amazing game. I was up long past the final HR trying to come down from the excitement.

Go Stros!

#10 | Posted by memyselfini at 2017-10-30 01:06 PM | Reply

Does anyone not hate Joe Buck?

At least he's not teamed with McCarver anymore but I don't get his career.

#11 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-30 01:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Best World Series ever? Maybe...but the 2004 ALCS is still the best 7 game series ever played.

#12 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-30 01:34 PM | Reply

Buck looks like a less weathered version of Troy Aikman.

#13 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-10-30 01:37 PM | Reply

I dunno. The 1919 series worked out pretty well, in my opinion...
--Arnold Rothstein

#14 | Posted by catdog at 2017-10-30 04:02 PM | Reply

I hope LA can force a game 7 tonight.

#15 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-31 11:00 AM | Reply

They'll lose a lot of revenue if the series doesn't go to 7 games.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-10-31 11:41 AM | Reply

Coincidentally, that's also why I quit being a defense contractor. Incinerating helpless Iraqis didn't seem like a valuable use of my time on this earth. I guess you have a different opinion about that.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-31 01:37 PM | Reply

I hope LA can force a game 7 tonight.

#15 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2017-10-31 11:00 AM

I have tickets for game 7 so I hope you are right.

#22 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-10-31 01:41 PM | Reply

Wait, what? Who replaced "4 juco and 3 University physics major with an EBT card" with a former defense contractor? Regardless, this is about the World Series, please try to stay on topic.

Anyway, Game 6 should be awesome, glad that my son is a teenager now so I don't have to follow him around on Hallowween anymore.

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-10-31 01:46 PM | Reply