Monday, October 30, 2017

Amber Cantorna, the daughter of an executive at Focus on the Family, has come out as a lesbian in a new memoir. Focus on the Family is one of the most vehemently anti-LGBT faith organizations in the country: It's donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight against marriage equality, sponsored conferences advocating for conversion therapy, fought against same-sex parents having adoption rights, and supported anti-trans bathroom bills and other anti-LGBT legislation.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"My family and I were always close," she told Out Front magazine. "We did everything together ... So this pressure, feeling like I had to filter everything I did and said to ultimately make them comfortable, was exhausting. I got to the point where I felt like, no matter the cost, I had to be authentic with myself."

After coming out in 2012, though, Cantorna was immediately rejected -- not just by her family, but also her church, and many of her old friends. ...

"LGBTQ people who are rejected by their family are four times more likely to commit suicide than their straight peers," Cantorna told Out Front. "I want to help change that and bring those numbers down and give these LGBTQ people hope knowing that they can reconcile with their sexuality. They can have a great future."

Comments

WOW Good for her.

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-29 07:44 PM | Reply

Focus on the Family... is just about everything a Christian should never be, including judge and jury on this brave woman's life.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-29 07:56 PM | Reply

From the comments,

As Richard Dawkins wrote: "It is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it, a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic capriciously malevolent bully."

Or as I like to say:
"Gimme That Old Time Religion!"

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-29 08:26 PM | Reply

#6 I'm pretty sure Jesus said something like "Can't we all just get along?" I'll look it up. Granted, I flunked Sunday school, but still the message seems to be very different than what I read in The Satanic Bible. That was all about taking advantage of other people to build a power structure.

And Richard Dawkins just seems to be a maniacal hater. That kind of atheism doesn't make you any friends.

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-10-29 08:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

www.youtube.com

George Carlin has it spot on!

#8 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-10-29 08:41 PM | Reply

#8 "If there is a God, may he strike this audience dead". That was awesome.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-10-29 08:57 PM | Reply

#10 Don't be so full of hate.

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-10-29 08:58 PM | Reply

Hate liberates the human spirit. Disgust emancipates the personality. Hate is what makes you a free-thinking individualist. It is only hate that keeps you from becoming part of the herd.

A free man expresses his hatreds loudly and proudly.

#13 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-10-29 09:03 PM | Reply

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.

#15 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-10-29 09:12 PM | Reply

#3 Have you tried not being stupid?

#4 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT

Nope.

Have you tried not being offended by EVERYTHING you see, snowflake?

#16 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-10-30 04:12 AM | Reply

"After coming out in 2012, though, Cantorna was immediately rejected -- not just by her family, but also her church, and many of her old friends. The excommunication was devastating, and Cantorna was so heartbroken she says contemplated ending her life."

That is very sad. I honestly don't understand how family and friends just reject a person, I don't think I could ever do that over something like sexual orientation. Political views on the other hand......only kidding.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-30 11:19 AM | Reply

Posted by danni at 2017-10-30 11:19 AM | Reply

Sadly it happens all too often.

#18 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-30 11:26 AM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY DANNI

I have a gay cousin who got married this summer. On his side of the family (my family) only 2 weren't able to make it and we have a big family (12 aunts/uncles, his parents and siblings and 14 cousins). His husband didn't have a single family member in attendance and it was because it was a gay wedding, not because they had other obligations. Very sad.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-10-30 11:30 AM | Reply

"I honestly don't understand how family and friends just reject a person."

Brainwashing.

When you groom minds to reject reason because Scripture says otherwise, this kind of thing is always waiting in the wings.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-30 12:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Any chance Focus on the Family will stop gay bashing and promoting of anti-LGBT policies?

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-10-30 01:52 PM | Reply

Dawkins is a jackass but that description fits Old Testament God pretty well. All the amoral Old Testament stories are what first had me thinking at a young age that religion is less than infallible.

#22 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-30 02:19 PM | Reply

You didn't get bullied enough to believe.

Your loss Sully.

You could have strapped on a suicide vest and been in Paradise by now, if only you weren't so damn stubborn.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-30 02:24 PM | Reply

Isn't it ironic that all the focus on the family, anti LGBT, save the fetus Republicans have been pushing an economic agenda which forces women into the workforce.

#24 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-10-30 02:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Actually some of the people delivering religious instruction being bullies was another red flag to me.

But suicide vests were never an option though. Old Testament God's antics aside, the catholic school I went to preached tolerance and being the better person in the face of provocation (which isn't always smart either).

#25 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-30 02:43 PM | Reply

Have you tried not being offended by EVERYTHING you see, snowflake?

#16 | POSTED BY MRSILENCEDOGOOD

Just following the lead of the majority of Republicans. Though I am offended by a person they claimed to love and support being tossed out because of who they were. Republicans get triggered to the point of a frothing rage just because some athletes kneel before a football game.

#26 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2017-10-30 04:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat

What am I supposed to call those that preach hate? Wouldn't calling them Christians be insulting to Christ's teachings and those that follow them?

#27 | Posted by bored at 2017-10-30 06:47 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY BORED

Call them right-wing "christian" extremists.

#28 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-10-30 07:25 PM | Reply

That kind of atheism doesn't make you any friends.

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat

Sometimes it is not about "making friends". It is about telling the cold hard truth. Some people will get offended just by you attempting to do that. No matter how you try to do it.

Donald Trump has "friends"... would you hang out with them? If you do you better take notes and/or have a witness/lawyer present!

#29 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-10-30 07:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Fracas on the family.

I suppose they was out the day they taught about jesus.

#30 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-10-31 04:30 PM | Reply

They really ought to change their name to "Focus on Destroying the Family." Think how many families have been destroyed by those sick haters. Those people are diseased.

#31 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-01 06:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1