Friday, October 27, 2017

Online conspiracy theorists fueled by sites like Infowars are sending vile threats to the survivors of the Las Vegas shooting. Brandon Matejka, who survived being shot in the head, has fled from social media after receiving an enormous amount of harassment. His brother Taylor shared the abusive messages with The Guardian. "It's madness," he said. "I can't imagine the thought process of these people. Do they know that we are actual people?" Taylor tried to respond to the conspiracists, but nothing seemed to work: "I'd be happy to talk to these people, but it seems there's no reasoning."

Comments

God, these scumbags are absolutely the dregs of society.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-27 12:49 PM | Reply

If these people can be identified they should publicly shamed the way nazi marchers were. If a handful lose their jobs Iorcare arrested, I bet the rest will calm down. Reason doesn't work with toddlers but consequences do.

#2 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-27 01:00 PM | Reply

Disgusting. Objective truth is taking a beating thanks to decades of misinformation spread by right-wing lunatics on the airwaves, in print and online - and given daily affirmation by Donald Trump, Steve Bannon and the rest of the dirtbags who play on the vulnerability of poorly informed people.

#3 | Posted by cbob at 2017-10-27 01:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

Meanwhile, don't we have a major right wing lunatic on the radio still claiming that the tragedy at Sandy Hook was a fake? Alex Jones probably has to pay body guards to go with him wherever he goes because I suspect some of those grieving parents would just love to be able to say that his murder was a hoax.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-27 01:19 PM | Reply

The one good thing I can say about STeve Bannon is that he doesn't look healthy so I doubt he'll be around for very long. He looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-27 01:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Posted by danni at 2017-10-27 01:20 PM | Reply

Most ugly fat people do.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-27 01:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In all seriousness if one of these victims were to harm someone who is threatening to harm them a 2nd time, I would never vote to convict them for it if I were on the jury.

If you've been shot on the street you probably carry some fear with you forever. And now they have people threatening to shoot them again? Screw that. I would blame them one big for permanently mitigating such a threat.

#7 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-27 01:26 PM | Reply

What a bunch of scumbags. If there's no law to lock them up, I hope they're tracked down and sued for distress.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-27 01:35 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2017-10-27 01:35 PM | FLAG:

Agreed.

You need to see the reader comments on the Fox News version of the story. Most of those commenting agree with the cretins making the death threats!
www.foxnews.com

Sheeple, on another thread (well, on many threads, actually), you mocked Democrats for their "mass hysteria" over Russia's efforts to skew American opinion. I would argue that the threats against Braden Matejka have their roots in a similar phenomenon.

The effectiveness of Russian election interference can be argued, but its intent cannot. Russia has figured out ways -- some subtle, some not -- to piggyback on years of manipulative, paranoid propaganda dished out every day by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Alex Jones, Breitbart, and Fox News. The far-right media have managed to convince a huge chunk of Middle America that everything they once accepted as fact is a hoax, and that they've been played the fool for their whole lives. Naturally, this means government is the worst offender. You know, the swamp. Ergo, the rise of the Tea Party and the alt-right. Ergo, the ongoing expungement of establishment politicians, as well as the identification and targeting of scapegoats. I have no doubt that this long-running campaign of intentional misinformation is behind the rise of nationalism and mistrust. The apple cart has been upset. Civility is discarded as a sign of weakness. The propagandists want us to believe that our enemies are everywhere -- some of them in this very room! Russia sees what's going on and joins in, because it knows it can gain clout on the world stage as America stumbles through intrafamilial turmoil.

People like Stephen Paddock and the Nazi wannabe who killed his father were clearly unhinged regardless of politics, but I think it's foolish to discount the effects of the daily drumbeat of lies and paranoia from the far right. That drumbeat is a big reason Mr. Matejka is being harassed.

#9 | Posted by cbob at 2017-10-27 02:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#9 CBOB, you're right, of course; but as an individual, why not start by talking to your close friends, warning them you're going to ditch them if they will not stop the crazy talk, and then do it.

#10 | Posted by john47 at 2017-10-27 02:43 PM | Reply

"I assume you have already unfriended all your lunatic Facebook friends and relatives."

Apparently tolerates and associates with people like Paddock and Nazis. Then uses a Christian verse for a handle. Typical of many right wing, so called, Christians.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-27 03:00 PM | Reply

Vegas truthers = infowars Teajadist/dotards = Nazi's

Little do they know Bill Hicks has tricked them.

#12 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-10-27 03:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Danni, John47 is not a right-winger, as far as I can tell. He asks a legitimate question.

My answer? I have unfriended a few, and in some cases, confronted them over crazy talk.

#13 | Posted by cbob at 2017-10-27 04:24 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY CBOB

I agree with you. I would go even further and say that the left has just as many loons, fake news stories, and hyperbole as the right.
There's no need to manufacture outrage from the likes of CNN, MSNBC, etc.

Drown out the crazy with sensible, common-sense politics.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-27 04:32 PM | Reply

People were eagerly waiting for Obama to make good on his promises.

I was one of them. Turns out he was slightly 'lesser evil' than Hillary.

I'm done with lesser evil politics. We need real leadership.

#15 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-27 04:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I have a friend who is a conspiracy nut. He doesn't threaten people. But he does think that pretty much every mass murder is a hoax. I don't see him often anymore but when I do, I make fun of him over his beliefs. Other than believing crazy stuff he's harmless so I wouldn't lump him in with people who are threatening victims. Not all kooks are the same.

#16 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-27 04:36 PM | Reply

"I would go even further and say that the left has just as many loons, fake news stories, and hyperbole as the right."

We should compare body counts.
It's the only way to be sure.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-27 04:37 PM | Reply

"A better plan for the MSM would be to report a steady drumbeat of liberal policies that Americans want and benefit us all."

Someone give this kid a pony already.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-27 04:38 PM | Reply

"People were eagerly waiting for Obama to make good on his promises."

The GOP Congress wasn't.

Nor were any right-wingers.

In fact, right-wingers were eagerly awaiting Mitch McConnell to make good on his promise to make Obama a one-term President.

Do you consider your brain to be half-full, or half-empty?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-27 04:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Sometimes I try to be civil and then Snoofy comes along.

#20 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-27 04:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You don't try to be civil, you simply are supercilious, and you don't like it when you get a taste of your own medicine.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-27 04:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Boys, boys...

#22 | Posted by cbob at 2017-10-27 05:12 PM | Reply

Some of us are just super-silly. ☺

#23 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-10-27 06:58 PM | Reply

I feel ashamed to share a nationality with these scumbags.

#24 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2017-10-27 08:40 PM | Reply

These guys are Trump supporters. Don't even bother saying not.

#25 | Posted by Zed at 2017-10-27 08:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

SHEEP'S nationality is not American.

#26 | Posted by Zed at 2017-10-27 08:50 PM | Reply

Time was LV leg breaker would be sent to teach such trash some manners.....or are these russians?

#27 | Posted by Tor at 2017-10-27 11:59 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY DANNI

You misinterpreted John47.
(And if he were using a Christian verse as a handle, John 4:7 is a rather lame one to use.)

#28 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-10-28 02:19 AM | Reply

Maybe he's 70 years old (born in 1947)?

#29 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-10-28 09:35 AM | Reply

These people are sick. They are also victims of the Cyber War. This is a side effect of being taken in by Russian propaganda. They need extensive counseling.

#30 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-10-28 02:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

These people don't care if they're right or wrong they just get off on thinking that they have knowledge that nobody else has. It makes them feel special.

#31 | Posted by Tor at 2017-10-28 11:42 PM | Reply

Guys, guys; trust me, my handle has NOTHING to do with the Bible. I was a socialist all the way through college and grad school, then I was a liberal; and now I believe I am a socialist again. If I had read Friedman before I read Keynes, I would have been an angry old man. And then a few years ago I beat my way through Pikkety's book, and that was just gasoline on the fire!

#32 | Posted by john47 at 2017-10-29 01:40 AM | Reply | Funny: 1