Thursday, October 26, 2017

As the world's climate warms, droughts are increasingly common -- and severe. Without water, crops wither, wells dry out, and people are saddled with strict water-saving measures. ... While there's no reliable way to prevent long dry spells, scientists are identifying new ways to predict drought and mitigate its effects. One new study conducted by Vahmani and Andrew Jones, Deputy Director of the Climate Readiness Institute at the lab, suggests that a highly effective way to conserve water across broad areas involves so-called "cool roofs," which use reflective materials to limit absorption of the sun's rays. It's long been known that cool roofs -- which can be anything from a coat of white paint to shingles or tiles treated with a reflective coating -- can help keep buildings cool and reduce energy costs.

Comments

15 gallons saved per person per day in California would be better if the almond farmers didn't raise our per-capita usage to 220 gallons/day/person.

Solar panels help in a similar way by turning light into electricity instead of heat rather than reflecting it. "Green" roofs too, help with cooling -- they turn light energy into grass and plants instead of heating the home, plus they act as added insulation.

#1 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-10-26 05:11 PM | Reply

As solar and battery storage gets cheaper, only fools won't have solar on their homes.

Unless the oil companies can pass some legislation saying they own the sun and all the energy that emits from it. I'm sure repubs would be happy to play along.

#2 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-26 06:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 That's all good for those who can afford to lay out the cost of what amounts to a Porsche 911 Turbo.

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-26 06:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Go ahead paint your roofs white. Then listen to the complaints by neighbors, zoning officials, HOAs, etc.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-26 06:45 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism

What year is that porsche? Crappy condition 1991 maybe.

www.solarpowerauthority.com
At the time of this writing, the installed cost of solar panels was between $7-$9 per watt: A 5 kW system would cost around $25,000-$35,000. Many utility companies offer incentives, and some subsidize as much as 50% of system costs.

#5 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-26 06:45 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by nullifidian

People who whine for no other reason that because things are DIFFERENT from how they were when they were kids are just that - whiners.

Then there are the whiners who are paid to whine by fossil fuel companies, in order to protect the profits of polluters.

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-26 06:47 PM | Reply

- A 5 kW system would cost around $25,000-$35,000

6 in 10 Americans don't have $500 in savings - money.cnn.com

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-26 06:47 PM | Reply

Only 6 in 10?
That's not nearly enough
More tax cuts for the rich, STAT!

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-26 06:50 PM | Reply

- A 5 kW system would cost around $25,000-$35,000

6 in 10 Americans don't have $500 in savings - money.cnn.com

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism

So where's this $35 k porsche 911 turbo you were talking about?

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-26 06:58 PM | Reply

--People who whine for no other reason that

Have you painted your roof white? Your neighbors? If not, why don't you want to save the planet?

#10 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-26 06:59 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by nullifidian

My whole roof needs replacing. And when it's time, you can bet your ass I'm getting solar. You're basically throwing money away if you don't.

#11 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-26 07:02 PM | Reply

It's a used 911, Speaks.

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-10-26 07:04 PM | Reply

I replaced my roof last year. We didn't go solar but we didn't go cheap either. Our heating/cooling is more efficient now.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-10-26 07:06 PM | Reply

So where's this $35 k porsche 911 turbo you were talking about?
#9 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

About 2-3 years ago I was interested and had 2-3 different companies come out and give me an estimate.
I don't recall the specifics, but it was an off-grid battery system.

Estimates ranged from $60k-$110k. Maybe it's gone down. Good.
The average American can't afford it even at $25-35k. You must be rich and white.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-26 07:14 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism

That's why there are solar leasing programs.

It HAS gone down and will go down further.

Sneering at or arguing against solar power makes zero sense for anyone except fossil fuel producers, power companies, and those brainwashed by their propaganda.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-26 07:25 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by JeffJ

Then you chose short term money in your pocket instead of MORE long term money in your pocket.

Not surprising for someone who argues against acting on climate change. Adults plan for the future. Kids just want their candy right now.

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-26 07:27 PM | Reply

--You must be rich and white

He is saving the planet by virtuously buying a Tesla. With a bit of help from taxpayers who can't afford one even with subsidies.

#17 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-26 07:31 PM | Reply

#16 It might not be legal or affordable to tie into the grid where he lives. It's a common feature of Red States.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-26 07:34 PM | Reply

#17 | Posted by nullifidian

Those same taxpayers couldn't afford gas if our kids weren't subsidizing it by paying for all the environmental damage it causes. Gas would be $3.80 a gallon MORE expensive if it reflected its true cost.

Anyone who whines about green energy subsidies while silently accepting fossil fuel subsidies is simply parroting exxons talking points without getting paid for it.

#19 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-26 08:24 PM | Reply

I thought maybe people were collecting water off the cool roof. In a least one State you can't do that without a permit.

#20 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-10-26 08:46 PM | Reply

--I've heard if all our roads and roofs were white, global warming would be reversed.

There's nothing stopping environmental warriors from painting their roofs and houses white, right now. Except for the neighbor across the street who prefers earth tones rather than the glare from a big white elephant.

#21 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-26 09:01 PM | Reply

Gas would be $3.80 a gallon MORE expensive if it reflected its true cost.

Gas is already heavily taxed. The cost of transporting it is the protection of shipping lanes that protect all imports and exports.

When ALL governmental costs are stripped away carbon fuels provide more BTU-per-$ than green energy. And, at least for the time being, it's not even close.

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-10-26 09:09 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

I couldn't afford solar.

F-off.

I have 2 kids to put through college.

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-10-26 09:17 PM | Reply

- virtuously buying a Tesla

Lol. Solar AND a Tesla? Yeah, Speaks is rich and white.

#24 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-26 09:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--F-off.

I have 2 kids to put through college."

Yeah but that's not as virtuous as being the cool kid on the block with a tesla and solar panels. Why don't you want to save the planet?

#25 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-26 09:46 PM | Reply

"When ALL governmental costs are stripped away carbon fuels provide more BTU-per-$ than green energy. "

Your premise is utterly ridiculous. But go ahead and link whatever right-wing site you found this on.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-26 10:13 PM | Reply

I have 18 solar panels in my back yard. My roof is not oriented for them to go there. I took advantage of the 30% Bush era tax credit and at the time my state had a 50% credit. It knocked off $80-100 per month on my bill. I got them a little over 5 years ago and just passed the break even point on my $5000 investment.

Sadly my state no longer has their credit or else I would expand my system.

#27 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-10-27 07:55 AM | Reply

My roof is in the shade during the hottest part of the day my yard is in shade 2/3 of the day no way for me to do solar without chopping down a bunch of trees. I might gain some by having a "cool roof" but the whole 50% in shade makes me doubt how much the savings would be.

#28 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-10-27 08:36 AM | Reply

It knocked off $80-100 per month on my bill.

Holy ----! How much do you pay for electricity? I pay about $50/month.

#29 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-10-27 11:20 AM | Reply

#22 | Posted by JeffJ

So what? It still doesn't cost enough to cover the damage it causes.

Making others pay so you can have a discount, like a moocher or welfare queen.

#30 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-27 01:31 PM | Reply

"You're still charging $3.80 in environmental destruction costs per gallon of gas that you burn TO YOUR KIDS."

I'll leave mine enough to cover it...and probably your kids' share too.

#31 | Posted by eberly at 2017-10-27 01:33 PM | Reply

Conversely, if you live in a northern cooler/cold climate, then a black/dark roof is the way to go.

lagniappe:
The home we rented off base in the Philippines had good sized solar hot water heater on the roof. In the right climate/location [Arizona, New Mexico, etc] that is another way to save energy by utilizing the sun's energy.

#32 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-10-27 01:41 PM | Reply

I'll leave mine enough to cover it...and probably your kids' share too.

#31 | Posted by eberly

But you're not going to send any to the kids whose island nations are going to be under water are you?

#33 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-27 01:44 PM | Reply

nope. you got me there

#34 | Posted by eberly at 2017-10-27 01:47 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-10-27 08:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

Don't chop down trees if you don't have to. They save on cooling bills and help produce water.

#35 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-27 01:52 PM | Reply

"Gas is already heavily taxed."

Put down the right-wing platitude bong for just one day.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-27 02:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Don't chop down trees if you don't have to."

Good adivce from.... The Laurax!

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-27 02:10 PM | Reply

#35 | Posted by LauraMohr

Along those lines, why the hell can't we opt out of junk mail?

The amount of trees that are cut down in order to create mail that goes straight into the trash, plus the fuel that is burned shipping it around is insane.

If government worked for the voters instead of the rich, and gave a damn about the planet, you could opt out of all junk mail.

#38 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-10-27 02:13 PM | Reply

Oh boy! You know what this means!

There will be a group of asshats organizing stupid events like running the hose all night on your roof to teach all you hippies a lesson.

#39 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-10-27 05:08 PM | Reply

"Holy ----! How much do you pay for electricity? I pay about $50/month."

My current bill is about $150/month. Living in the South you use your AC for most of the year. My home is well insulated and my bill is relatively small for a 2000 Square foot home in the area.

#40 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-10-28 07:32 AM | Reply

Yeah if you own a home in the south your power bill will be nuts. I pay $154 a month on equal pay for a 3k sq foot home. It was worse than that but we replaced all the windows with double pane and replaced all the wall and roof insulation. Like I said my house is in the shade 50% of the day so imagine if I didn't have a yard full of trees to help out.

On the plus side my gas bill is only $36 a month on equal pay.

This year I'm adding vent free gas logs to both my fireplaces which will allow me zone heating and should pull both the gas and power bill down a bit as one of the rooms just won't heat up so we were paying for an electric space heater there. Going with vent free gas will allow me to blast 30k BTU of heat for 30 cents an hour vs. 5k BTU space heater for 15 cents per hour so 3x the heat for the money. Since the space heater barely makes a difference in that room it runs every moment that room is in use during the winter. With a vent free log set producing 6x the heat I hope to only need to run it part of the time the room is in use. The other room isn't as bad but it's the main room we use I hope to keep the heat set lower and use the logs to keep that area warmer.

We'll see come January.