Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Rogers Cadenhead: Last week, the tech journalist Quinn Norton wrote a Medium essay accusing the well-known tech blogger Robert Scoble of grabbing her breast and butt without consent while drunk at Foo Camp several years ago. As Norton's account circulated on social media and other women made allegations against Scoble of abusive sexual behavior, Scoble gave an interview to USA Today in which he said he didn't remember the incident at Foo Camp but admitted non-specific wrongdoing. ... Today, Scoble made an about face in a blog post that attacks several of his accusers and completely misleads people what Norton wrote about him, making it sound like an admission of wrongdoing against himself. I questioned Scoble about this on his Facebook account and he responded. Here's the exchange.

Comments

I'm glad you called him out. What a bastard.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-10-25 10:07 PM | Reply

I opened this up thinking it was the story about self admitted sexual harasser Mark Halperin of ABC and MSNBC.

#2 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-10-26 10:07 AM | Reply

Everyone except for the game show host who bragged about being a sexual predator on an open mic, the guy I voted for coincidentally, is a sexual predator.

#2 | POSTED BY FISHPAW

Fixed.

#3 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-10-26 10:20 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

So that's why AFK has been so silent...

#4 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-10-26 10:42 AM | Reply

Rcade, you sound like a prosecutor in the interview. Which I suppose is okay given the circumstances. It does not, however, foster an environment where Scoble is going to honestly and openly address the issues you raised. He would be wise to avoid future interviews where the person asking the questions wants to nail him down on specifics. There is no good way for him to spin what has occurred.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-10-26 12:02 PM | Reply

Agreed, and I think you missed your calling Rogers. Well done, and I hope this POS goes down.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-10-26 12:48 PM | Reply

Thanks. When I made my original comment on Robert Scoble's Facebook wall, I didn't expect a response from him. I just wanted to show that he had misled people about Quinn Norton's accusation.

Once he decided to respond, I thought it was worth an attempt to see if he would address the specifics. Whether he wanted to be honest and open was entirely up to him.

There's a lot he is doing that is not wise. If he was going to blog about sexual misconduct allegations after telling USA Today he "did some things," he should have been clear on what he did and apologized to those people.

If he couldn't do that because of legal liability or another reason, he shouldn't have blogged.

You can't try to get the public on your side with forthrightness and not be forthright. You will make the situation worse for yourself.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2017-10-26 01:36 PM | Reply

I don't remember specifics, but I do remember snapping bra straps (I don't mean me specifically). It seemed like I saw older kids do it, girls do it, etc and I feel like me or my grammar school buddies must have as well.
I don't mean to imply I saw a ton of it, but I'm pretty sure it was a thing.
I'd hate to think it was creepy as opposed to stupid kids teasing in an awkward way.

#8 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-10-26 01:55 PM | Reply

Btw, on topic...

You did a good job. I like how you just got to it.
He's a weasel.

(Also, I didn't mean to imply my grammar school story is in any way related to the guy in your interview...I just got to thinking about inappropriate things I have done and I started at the beginning).

#9 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-10-26 01:57 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by 101Chairborne

uhoh here comes a War and Peace sized blog post!

#10 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-10-26 02:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The Google Glass pic doesn't help his credibility.

#11 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-10-26 05:11 PM | Reply

I really differentiate in my own mind between harassment that involves actual touching or direct innuendo/hitting on a co-worker and harassment that merely involves vulgar language in front of a co-worker that makes them feel uncomfortable but is not specifically aimed at them.

#12 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-10-26 06:48 PM | Reply

The Google Glass pic doesn't help his credibility.

He wore that thing for years in photos. There's even some of him wearing them in the shower, which broke them.

#13 | Posted by rcade at 2017-10-26 07:21 PM | Reply