Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A majority of whites say discrimination against them exists in America today, according to a poll released Tuesday from NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

"If you apply for a job, they seem to give the blacks the first crack at it," said 68-year-old Tim Hershman of Akron, Ohio, "and, basically, you know, if you want any help from the government, if you're white, you don't get it. If you're black, you get it."

More than half of whites -- 55 percent -- surveyed say that, generally speaking, they believe there is discrimination against white people in America today. Hershman's view is similar to what was heard on the campaign trail at Trump rally after Trump rally. Donald Trump catered to white grievance during the 2016 presidential campaign and has done so as president as well.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Ask Hershman whether there is discrimination against whites, and he answered even before this reporter could finish the question -- with an emphatic "Absolutely."

"It's been going on for decades, and it's been getting worse for whites," Hershman contended, despite data showing whites continue to be better off financially and educationally than minority groups.

Even though Hershman believes he has been a victim of anti-white discrimination, he wasn't able to provide a specific example. He describes losing out on a promotion -- and a younger African-American being selected as one of the finalists for the job. But the position eventually went to a white applicant, who was also younger than Hershman.

Comments

I'm not one of them.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-25 08:06 AM | Reply

Poor, downtrodden whites...
ROTFLMAO

#2 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-10-25 08:21 AM | Reply

As if citing one example of someone with a chip on his shoulder proves that discrimination doesn't exist? Those people of 'that' race and 'that' gender are all obviously pathetic whiners, and should be automatically dismissed and ridiculed if they ever say they feel discriminated against. Lol. Eh?

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-10-25 09:21 AM | Reply

It's still important to make all people feel like they have an equal chance. Even this fellow who is upset about not getting his promotion.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-10-25 09:38 AM | Reply

68 years old and he thinks the discrimination he faces is based on race. The guy is a complete idiot. I worry every day about losing my job and the chances of landing one as good at my age, of course there is age discrimination. Some of it is justified, some of it isn't but it's real. The idea that his race is the basis for him not being promoted is laughable when you read down and discover a white guy got the job.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-25 09:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

they also believe there is a war on christmas.

the credibility is gone.

#6 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-10-25 09:53 AM | Reply

Everybody gets discriminated against. Let's be honest. There are volumes of studies out there that show that tall people and attractive people get a better deal. Hiring quotas exist. The federal government has "set asides" for minority and women-owned businesses (contracts that only companies owned by either minorities or women can bid on). Affirmative action was a thing. Good luck finding a left-handed can opener at Target. Black Pride and Gay Pride are considered celebrations of their history; White Pride is a bunch of racists.

#7 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-25 10:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"White Pride is a bunch of racists."

4th of July makes a mockery of your comment. It's ridiculous when you consider that the original colonists were largely all slave holders.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-25 10:07 AM | Reply

"The sooner everyone quits viewing themselves as being a part of some small demographically unique 'tribe' the sooner we can get past this BS and start working together."

Spoken by a member of the priveleged white male. Hilarious!

#9 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-25 10:08 AM | Reply

""... it's been getting worse for whites," Hershman contended, despite data..."

I think we've discovered the root of the problem.

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-10-25 10:13 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I can personally attest to this :)

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-25 11:14 AM | Reply

Where do you get you history information from? The Encyclopedia Absolutica?

en.wikipedia.org

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-25 11:16 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY DANNI
"...the original colonists were largely all slave holders."

No. Remember, most of them would have been too poor to own slaves. Wealthy land owners, yes, but not the average colonist.

However, 4 out of our first 5 presidents were slave owners.

#13 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-10-25 11:31 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2017-10-25 10:13 AM | FLAG: | FUNNY: 1

That actually was funny and true, but the truth of the matter is that it has been getting worse for most whites.

What they don't realize is that it's gotten a little worse for them and a lot worse for POC, so they scapegoat. The middle class really is failing, becoming a relic of post-WW II days when we monopolized manufacturing and exporting. It's gotten better than it was in 2008, but the white picket fence, 2.5 kids, and a home with 2 cars on one blue collar job dream is about 90% faded (to pull an arbitrary figure out of the air.) There's some skilled trades like electrician that do well, but in the day and age of everyone wanting a college education and job status, people often fail to consider them.

This is one of the reasons I really think we should look at altering affirmative action policies to reflect a more economically disadvantaged focus than ethnically, though. It's not that I believe we have magically achieved equality, it's just that if it were economically based, it would still affect minorities more than whites and address that disparity, while not providing that disgruntled, being left behind and passed over feeling that many lower class whites have, causing them to resent other races and reinforce racism. It's just another thing that keeps us divided, when class and stratification are the real problems - though they are magnified for minorities.

Another way current affirmative action policies reinforce racism that can't be ignored is now every woman and minority hired has to deal with being viewed as a diversity hire, and deal with their competence automatically being questioned or dismissed.

I'm afraid it's simply never going to correct for the root causes of racism and economic disparity the way it is now.

#14 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2017-10-25 11:32 AM | Reply

Spoken by a member of the priveleged white male. Hilarious!

#9 | POSTED BY DANNI

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-25 11:37 AM | Reply

Spoken by a member of the priveleged white male. Hilarious!

#9 | Posted by Danni

You dare assume my racial identity? If I feel black, I am black. If I feel like a woman, I am a woman.

Hell, I'm thinking of bidding on several set-asides as a minority-owned, woman-owned, disabled veteran owned business. The government wouldn't dare challenge my gender or race, not after pioneers like Rachel Donezal and Shaun King and Chelsea Manning paved the way for me to be who I want to be any given moment. I wouldn't even have to demonstrate the ability to do the job. I could just sub-contract it out and reap the profits.

#16 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-25 11:53 AM | Reply

Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-25 11:53 AM | Reply

You're just a twerp that's all.

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-25 11:57 AM | Reply

#17 [shocked face!] You're spitting in the faces of all those brave pioneers, Laura. I'm deeply saddened that their sacrifices are going in vain. I feel compelled to build on their legacy of identity politics.

#18 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-25 12:05 PM | Reply

The headline should read, 'Overwhelming Majority of Human Being Alive Believe They Are Discriminated Against In One Way Or Another'.

#19 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-10-25 12:08 PM | Reply

You win Mustang, Rachel Donezal and Shaun King and Chelsea Manning sure have a sweet deal. Poor poor white men have it so rough.

#20 | Posted by bored at 2017-10-25 12:18 PM | Reply

#20 Well, obviously...Shaun and Chelsea were so oppressed we felt a need to escape from the "white man" burden

#21 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-25 12:36 PM | Reply

"Why do I get the feeling that if pushed Danni would reveal herself to be a category 1 white person? Hilarious!"

I just don't believe it causes me to be discriminated against.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-25 12:36 PM | Reply

#20 Bored

We don't have it rough. Generally when we're not being broad-brushed as racist, misogynistic, male-chauvinist mansplainers we are having a pretty good time! lol White male men are the punching bag of identity politics though. I used to get pissed at people who would label me this or that until I realized I don't have to defend myself against someone else's discrimination of me. Mustang said it, we are all discriminated against. The level and amount of discrimination we face day to day just isn't substantial enough to warrant a concern, especially when compared to others. Doesn't mean white male men should accept being discriminated against just because it's less than someone else's persecution. Complaining about it seems bitchy though. And pointing it out as a statement of fact is hard to do without coming across as entitled. The guy is this article though is simply ignorant.

#23 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-10-25 12:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This poll result is what we saw in studies of Trump voters who said they voted for him because they felt, "oppressed", which caused them great, "cultural anxiety".

Which appears to be PC talk for racists.

They also said that they didn't mind a strong social safety net... well, as long as it helped them only, not minorities.

#24 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-25 12:42 PM | Reply

In the 50 states, the only place where this would even remotely be true is in Hawaii, where the Haole, even if they are Kama'aina, can be treated differently since they are not Kanaka.

#25 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-10-25 12:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"In the 50 states, the only place where this would even remotely be true is in Hawaii"

from what i hear this is true.

#26 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-10-25 03:48 PM | Reply

It is, my parents met there, I lived there during summers as a kid when my dad did his reserve duty at Kaneohe and then did two rotations through Kaneohe when I flew in the Corps.

I think every white male needs to spend time on the Islands so that they can experience the hostility and derision that a Haole gets outside of the tourist areas. I was exposed to it as a kid so it gave me perspective that most men who suffer from "Whiteness" don't get to experience.

Don't get me wrong, Hawaii is my favorite place to live (even over LA) but discrimination against whites (especially from the Mainland) is real there.

#27 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-10-25 07:35 PM | Reply

Whites are not discriminated against...unless the definition of discrimination includes not having favored status when it comes to government policy.

#28 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-10-25 07:54 PM | Reply

i have another friend that lived in hawaii.

he says that though the laws are the same, systematically the way its carried out is to prefer local ethinicities to whites and others.

#29 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-10-26 08:45 AM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY CORKY

It's amazing how you can knit an entire shawl out of one ass hair.

#30 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-26 11:25 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"ironically this is how white supremacy works in the continental 48 and much of europe. The laws on paper on not unequal, but the systematic way they are carried out disfavors african americans."

Laws in Europe disfavor African Americans? Do tell.

#31 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-10-26 11:32 AM | Reply

""... it's been getting worse for whites," Hershman contended, despite data..."
I think we've discovered the root of the problem.
#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-10-25 10:13 AM

Is it people cutting quotes to try to spin a statement? Is that the root of the problem?

I can personally attest to this :)
#11 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-25 11:14 AM

Tired of getting a bad deal, eh?

Poor poor white men have it so rough. - #20 | Posted by bored at 2017-10-25 12:18 PM

Poor-poor anyone probably do have it pretty rough.

#32 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-10-26 02:25 PM | Reply

"Is it people cutting quotes to try to spin a statement?"

Feel free to explain how the rest of the quote negates this part.

Failing that, look up the definition of "root".

#33 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-10-26 03:35 PM | Reply