Tuesday, October 24, 2017

People are staying away from the NFL. Viewership is down and empty seats are up compared to the record ratings of a few years ago. It's hard to argue that fact.

Any camera angle that panned across the upper deck in any number of stadiums Sunday confirmed that fact. The issues with ratings are well-documented. It has become convenient to blame that phenomenon, at least in part, on the ongoing issues of player demonstrations but now, nearly a season-and-a-half since Colin Kaepernick first took a knee, I'm not buying it. There's some protesting going on, without a doubt, but it's fans protesting the product being put on the field, I believe, more than any pronounced reaction to a handful of players displaying their Constitutional rights before kickoff.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

When I was younger, Jon Lovitz on SNL played a pathological liar character where he made up something on the spot and expected everyone else to believe it.

I can imagine that the author of this article did the same thing.

NFL ratings AND attendance are down due to bad QB play and bad teams...AND look at my hot wife Morgan Fairchild.

Comments

Giant Stadium was about 20% empty seats on Sunday, I expect things to get worse.

#1 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-10-24 08:37 PM | Reply

People are tired of their entertainment being politicized. Most people just want to watch the damn game.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-24 08:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Actually the only politics at the game was pro military and pro police.

#3 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-10-24 08:48 PM | Reply

Yep. People buy their Pro sports tickets WAY in advance. Next year is really when NFL attendance is going to get hit hard.

When the kneeling issue first popped up THIS season, I said, it would be 2 weeks before the results were really seen. Many people tuned in to only see a multitude of players kneel.

Many people still going to the games bought their tickets before the season ever started.

One of my buddies bought Saints tickets for their game against Tampa months ago. He and his wife have gone to about 2 games every season. They are still gong to go to THAT game. But they aren't buying tickets for the rest of the season.

#4 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-10-24 08:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

- Actually the only politics at the game was pro military and pro police.

The propaganda needs to end. Play ball!!

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-24 08:55 PM | Reply

Most people just want to watch the damn game.

So why don't they? The anthem only drones on as long as the "artist" wants it to.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-10-24 09:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

By focusing on the decrepit Giants, you're missing a true phenomenon, Truthy- an Eagles QB with poise, maturity, toughness, and smarts. And he's learned he can throw the long ball in the NFL. Welcome to Wentzlvania, brother!

#7 | Posted by cookfish at 2017-10-24 09:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A Giant and an Eagle enter a bar. The bartender says you have to have at least 1 superbowl win to buy a drink. The Giant gets drunk and the Eagle whines all the way home.

#8 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-10-24 09:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

As surely as people go to car races to see crashes, many fans went to see violent hits. Now that the league has gotten religion about head trauma and the refs are stopping play every other play to "make sure they get it right" for the gamblers, the game's just not as much fun to watch. Combine that with prices at the stadium increasingly out of reach of working class fans and you have an industry in decline.

#9 | Posted by morris at 2017-10-24 09:50 PM | Reply

I absolutely agree that the reviews take way too long.

They need to put that ---- on the same 40-second clock between plays, so as to not completely disrupt the ebb and flow of my on-screen violence.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-24 09:52 PM | Reply

Perhaps there are many people like me. I used to watch some football, then I learned about the problems with concussions, the horrible injuries suffered by players. Turned me off. I'm not watching bloodsport and that is what the NFL seems to be to me. Players taking a knee to protest police violence really bothers you enough to not watch the game? Have you considered the probability that you are an a*****e? That's free speech, police violence is out of control. Their willingness to risk popularity and careers should be respected.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-25 06:20 AM | Reply

#11 It pissed a lot of people off, Danni. Do you think someone willing to drop thousands of dollars on season tickets gives more than a passing crap about concussions? I agree with Nulli and James G - next year is when the NFL attendance numbers are going to get kicked in the nuts. Season ticket sales are going to drop, sales of SWAG is going to drop...and the NFL front office is going to start doing damage control.

#12 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-25 07:34 AM | Reply

We have discussed this topic on the DR several times, and for me the issue with professional football is about price. My brother and I are both Cowboys fans. Back in the 90's we used to be able to buy tickets to see them play at Giants stadium every year by searching ebay or even buying scalped tickets the day of the game for a reasonable price. The whole day would be less than $100 each, and it helped to keep us connected to the NFL.

Now I have a family of four and it would cost me well over $1000 to go to a game. That includes parking and concessions. I would have loved to take my kids to a few games but it is just so damn expensive. Both my daughters play soccer, so we go see the Red Bulls play a couple times a year, and the women's national soccer team whenever they are local (NJ). Either one of those options are far less expensive and far more family friendly.

#13 | Posted by schmanch at 2017-10-25 07:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#2 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

now you've said something i agree with 100%. it's not this lefty politics or that righty politics, it's all of the politics.

it's just a damn game and it's supposed to be entertaining to watch and provide a good salary for the players.

And while we are at it, let's can the prayers and the national anthem playing at the games. They are just another form of politics

#14 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-10-25 07:54 AM | Reply

"It pissed a lot of people off, Danni. Do you think someone willing to drop thousands of dollars on season tickets gives more than a passing crap about concussions? I agree with Nulli and James G - next year is when the NFL attendance numbers are going to get kicked in the nuts. Season ticket sales are going to drop, sales of SWAG is going to drop...and the NFL front office is going to start doing damage control."

So, what does that say about NFL Season Ticket holders? Pretty much my opinion of them before the controversy started. They care more about players "taking a knee" than about players getting concussions. Their values are very poor.
The other day when 5 previous president gathered to raise money for hurricane victims, I watched and thought it would have been hilarious and appropriate if Obama had taken a knee during the anthem. Injustice occurs all the time in this country but to be "patriotic" we are expected to pretend it doesn't. Some NFL players and me won't.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-25 08:23 AM | Reply

12 good.

My fouth year and im not unique.

#16 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-10-25 08:54 AM | Reply

People are tired of their entertainment being politicized.

No one was paying attention to anthem protests any more when Trump politicized them to distract from his many failures as a leader.

The NFL is the richest, most popular sport in America and one of the richest in the world. Ratings are only slightly off what they were last year. Those of you acting like it this is impending doom are being silly. It'll take a lot to bring down this giant. I am skeptical any of this Trump-generated nonsense will have a long-term impact.

As an NFL fan I'm glad there's a boycott. I enjoy the games more each weekend knowing there are political dorks out there denying themselves something they like just because Dear Leader decreed it.

#17 | Posted by rcade at 2017-10-25 08:55 AM | Reply

#16 are YOU currently concussed?

#18 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-25 09:45 AM | Reply

#17 To be fair, in Jacksonville people don't go because the Jags suck.

#19 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-25 09:46 AM | Reply

This is silly.

Look at the two largest markets. Look at how badly the NY and LA teams suck. 1 + 1 = 2.

#20 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-10-25 10:04 AM | Reply

To be fair, in Jacksonville people don't go because the Jags suck.

You must not follow the NFL very closely. The Jaguars are 4-3 and have a monster defense on pace to get the most sacks over a season in NFL history.

www.espn.com

#21 | Posted by rcade at 2017-10-25 10:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Look at how badly the NY and LA teams suck. 1 + 1 = 2.

The L.A. Rams are pretty good this year: 5-2 and leading the NFC West. But the other three teams are average to poor and the big-market Chicago Bears also are struggling.

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2017-10-25 10:46 AM | Reply