Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Majorities in many ethnic, identity and racial groups in America believe that discrimination exists against their own group, across many areas of people's daily lives, according to a poll from NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Comments

Of course they do. The media is working very hard to divide Americans by race, gender, sexuality, income, religion, and locale. Makes us easier to manipulate. It's a lot easier to guide a small herd.

#1 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-24 10:56 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY MUSTANG

In other words.

Demographics for selling advertising.

#2 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-10-24 11:43 AM | Reply

The war on Christmas is a prime example of how white heterosexual christians whine about being discriminated against.

#3 | Posted by 726 at 2017-10-24 11:51 AM | Reply

The media is successfully working very hard to divide Americans...

fixed.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-24 11:57 AM | Reply

another thread that reinforces why we have so few moderates.....

www.drudge.com

"We're under attack!!!"

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2017-10-24 12:01 PM | Reply

#2 Yes, exactly. To fill a niche, they must first create one. It's completely understandable and acceptable in the entertainment industry. Different jokes for different folks, as the saying goes. The problem started when news and entertainment started blurring the lines and Americans started not trying to distinguish one from the other.

#6 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-24 12:32 PM | Reply

#6 - Mustang

Heard an article about 60 minutes yesterday where the questioned was posed, "Are you afraid of losing out to another news platform?". The reply was essentially "fake news? ha! No." The guy went on to distinguish 60 minutes stories from the news/entertainment broadcast networks by saying they pander to their audiences. It was a very sly jab, and then it was overt. Crazy times. Journalistic principles need to make a comeback. Americans are so screwed up by the media.

#7 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-10-24 12:39 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY GAVASTER

Who would pay them? Even the DR offers links to bypass the paywall.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-24 12:46 PM | Reply

#8 - Sheepleschism

I guess I'm wishfully thinking people don't like being lied to all the time and an honest news organization would attract quite an audience allowing the news agency to sell advertising space. Just a thought.

#9 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-10-24 01:04 PM | Reply

#9 The Guardian, The Intercept, and Counterpunch are what you're looking for.

Terrific sources of non-corporate influenced news.

#10 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-24 01:07 PM | Reply

#10 - Sheep

I look for more factual reports and less story telling and opinion. I generally spend most of my news reading time skimming to find the facts, re-structuring the actual timeline of events, and cross checking the veracity of the statements made...even with those news sources. I don't see much source linkage and trying to find the actual transcript of a statement instead of a cherry picked quote is often tedious. Also, I like to save my thirst for literary creativity for when I'm reading fiction.

#11 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-10-24 01:37 PM | Reply

The Guardian, The Intercept, and Counterpunch are what you're looking for.
Terrific sources of non-corporate influenced news.

#10 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2017-10-24 01:07 PM | FLAG:

NPR, CBC, BBC, Economist, Bloomberg, NYT, LA Times,

#12 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-10-24 03:37 PM | Reply

I feel like I'm the only one that uses primary sources. What does it matter what NBC, FOX, or CNN says about Senator X's speech when I can watch the speech itself?

I recommend primary sources too all my koolaid drinking conservative peers here on DR.

#13 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-10-24 06:36 PM | Reply

Some of us have jobs.

#14 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-10-24 09:45 PM | Reply

"The problem started when news and entertainment started blurring the lines and Americans started not trying to distinguish one from the other."

Free market mass media is the problem.
Interesting thesis.