Drudge Retort: The Other Side of the News
Thursday, October 19, 2017

Dolphins and Whales Have Sophisticated Human-Like Societies
The brains of cetaceans and primates share features that are rarely found elsewhere in nature.
BY JEN VIEGAS
OCTOBER 18, 2017
11:18 AM EDT
No one has ever been able to fully measure the intelligence of whales, dolphins, and porpoises, but evidence continues to mount that it is impressive. Consider Kelly, a dolphin formerly housed at the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi. She was trained to keep her outdoor tank clean. If she brought a piece of litter to her trainer, she was awarded with a fish.
The enterprising Kelly figured out that if she wedged a single piece of litter under a stone and ripped it into multiple pieces, she would receive more fish. She then determined that she could increase the amount of "litter" in the tank by using the earned fish as bait to catch unwary birds. She subsequently taught these clever strategies to her calf.

More

Comments

Admin's note: Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.


OK, I have to ask...

Why are the apparent abilities to think and socialize being tagged as "liberal" attributes?

 

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-10-19 11:00 PM | Reply

Of course dolphins are liberals; they thanked us for all the fish when they left.

Rwingers would have just farted.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-20 01:21 AM | Reply

Well, they don't work, eat free food, don't know their fathers...

#3 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2017-10-20 01:27 AM | Reply

Of course dolphins are liberals; they thanked us for all the fish when they left.
Rwingers would have just farted.
#2 | POSTED BY CORKY

No. Rwingers would have screamed: "Resistance is useless!" and then they would have snapped a beach towel at your backside.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-10-20 01:29 AM | Reply

if socialism is liberal, then yes.

#5 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-10-20 02:27 AM | Reply

Of course dolphins are liberals;

#2 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2017-10-20 01:21 AM | REPLY

Well, they are known rapists.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-10-20 06:28 AM | Reply

#1 see #2-#6. Lol I couldn't resist making it click bait, and creating post like we have. Plus I thought Hrat would get a kick out of it, that and needed a good headline that Rcade would let slide since there is another dolphin & whale headline.

#7 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-10-20 08:00 AM | Reply

Liberal? Yes. Progressive? Not a chance. If they had been progressive, 75% would have starved to death waiting for the other 25% to learn to farm kale underwater while writing hateful letters preaching veganism. The other 25% would be gay and the species would vanish in 25 years.

#8 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-20 08:24 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

I had no idea a dolphin would attack a seagull until I read this. And it baited it with fish? So I had to find a video of that happening, but so far the results are ambiguous....

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-10-20 07:50 PM | Reply

Here's a video of an Orca actually baiting a seagull with a fish and then catching it and eating, accompanied by a nice slow romantic theme song.

www.youtube.com

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-10-20 08:26 PM | Reply

Comments are closed for this entry.

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2018 World Readable

Drudge Retort