Sunday, October 22, 2017

Some flowers have found a nifty way to get the blues. They create a blue halo, apparently to attract the bees they need for pollination, scientists reported Wednesday. Bees are drawn to the color blue, but it's hard for flowers to make that color in their petals. Instead, some flowers use a trick of physics. They produce a blue halo when sunlight strikes a series of tiny ridges in their thin waxy surfaces. The ridges alter how the light bounces back, which affects the color that one sees. The halos appear over pigmented areas of a flower, and people can see them over darkly colored areas if they look from certain angles.

Comments

So that's where that blue halo comes from. I always though I was seeing the flowers life-force.

So much for mutant power #3.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-10-18 05:00 PM | Reply

great story. +10

photos.app.goo.gl

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-10-18 11:57 PM | Reply

...lemme see a bee tap that.

#3 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-10-18 11:58 PM | Reply

So it is a flower version of an areola?

#4 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2017-10-19 07:15 AM | Reply

This is the type of fun story (like last week's star collision) that is fun, makes me pause a minute and marvel at the world I live in. And then after I pause, I have to think again about people (family and friends) who I thought were sane and now spout authoritarian, racist and simply mean ideas that they now deem OK.

#5 | Posted by clearheaded12 at 2017-10-22 04:52 PM | Reply

So much for mutant power #3.
#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-10-18 05:00 PM

I'm certain you notice the blue and the red outlining all things. There are more spectrum in the color that has nothing to do with human appreciation but serve obvious, deliberate and evolved functions.

Well, with the demise of all flying insects that trend will die off as plants non-diversify and eventually no flowers will bloom.

#6 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2017-10-22 06:35 PM | Reply