Friday, October 13, 2017

Patients taking psilocybin to treat depression show reduced symptoms weeks after treatment following a 'reset' of their brain activity.

The findings come from a study in which researchers from Imperial College London used psilocybin - the psychoactive compound that occurs naturally in magic mushrooms - to treat a small number of patients with depression in whom conventional treatment had failed.

In a paper, published today in the journal Scientific Reports, the researchers describe patient-reported benefits lasting up to five weeks after treatment, and believe the psychedelic compound may effectively reset the activity of key brain circuits known to play a role in depression.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I have taken micro doses thanks to Nulli, and Corky's encouragement, I found it fascinating to perceive more than the brain has models.

Comments

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-13 11:55 AM | Reply

--I'd be very interested if I knew where to reliably obtain it and assured of dosage, etc.

You can grow your own. Every state except Cali and Georgia allows to purchase spores. Ask the Retort mycologist--Corky-- for growing techniques. Alternatively you can pick them. Just make sure you have a good field identification guide because some shrooms are deadly.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-13 12:04 PM | Reply

Mushrooms are aliens!

Terence Mckenna had a theory that life in the universe is distributed by meteors and asteroids.

Mckenna believed that mushroom spores were able to survive space travel to become the catalyst of human evolution.

youtu.be

#3 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-10-13 01:01 PM | Reply

= Ask the Retort mycologist--Corky--

Says my personal B.

I do, however, remember several pleasant "resets" from college. We always got the blue ones from under the cow patties.... which were plentiful in east Texas. That's the extent of my mycologist expertise, despite what some white supremacist coddlers might tell you.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-13 04:46 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

I read years ago, that McKenna theorized that psilocybin created prehistoric Man's ability to formulate and create complex language and subsequently civilization. A fascinating theory I've always thought

#5 | Posted by shane at 2017-10-13 10:27 PM | Reply

How do you know which mushrooms to use or not??? Sounds dangerous to me.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-13 11:10 PM | Reply

People know.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-13 11:11 PM | Reply

Ask the Retort mycologist--Corky-- for growing techniques.

#2 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

So that's why you two engage in frequent slap fights. Your competitors!

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-14 04:09 AM | Reply

How do you know which mushrooms to use or not??? Sounds dangerous to me.

#6 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

Fly corky up to Kansas apparently. LOL

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-14 04:10 AM | Reply

Fly corky up to Kansas apparently. LOL

Posted by jpw at 2017-10-14 04:10 AM | Reply

No Thanks. I'd much rather have a frontal lobotomy than that.

#11 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-14 04:12 AM | Reply

No Thanks. I'd much rather have a frontal lobotomy than that.

Who says the two aren't the same?

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-14 04:15 AM | Reply

Who says the two aren't the same?

Posted by jpw at 2017-10-14 04:15 AM | Reply

Good point.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-14 04:17 AM | Reply

Cheers! Happy Friday/Saturday-ish!

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-14 04:18 AM | Reply

Cheers! Happy Friday/Saturday-ish!

Posted by jpw at 2017-10-14 04:18 AM | Reply

Back atcha dear.

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-14 04:21 AM | Reply

Another one? After supporting Trump on LGBT after the first one, I thought you might have learned your lesson.

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-14 12:24 PM | Reply

A pharmaceutical version of ECT. Hmmm, no thanks.

#17 | Posted by Snowfake at 2017-10-14 01:17 PM | Reply

A pharmaceutical version of ECT. Hmmm, no thanks.

What makes you think the two are remotely close?

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-15 03:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The entire answer for why ECT works is not known. This continues to be actively researched and investigated. There are many theories; essentially, the brain is thought to "reset" itself. The fact that science cannot fully explain all of the mechanisms of action is not very concerning in medicine, and the situation is the same for many other treatments. " (
www.thevitalbeat.ca)

Just thought it sounded similar, the resetting brain thing.

#19 | Posted by Snowfake at 2017-10-15 10:54 PM | Reply