Thursday, October 12, 2017

(CNN) The head of a government bureau responsible for clearing background checks told lawmakers Wednesday he has "never seen that level of mistakes" when asked about numerous omissions in Jared Kushner's security clearance application. Charles Phalen, the Director of the National Background Investigations Bureau, a newly created division within the Office of Personnel Management, made the comment in response to a question during a House subcommittee oversight hearing.

Comments

FTA: "Kushner's initial SF-86 form did not mention any foreign contacts, though he quickly supplemented it to indicate that he would provide that information. He updated the form in the spring, listing about 100 contacts, but did not mention the June 2016 meeting he attended with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya, Donald Trump Jr., and former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort."

#1 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-10-12 09:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I wouldn't be able to remember that many meetings even if my calendar was open in front of me.

Hell, I can barely remember tickets I worked 2 weeks ago.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-12 10:08 PM | Reply

Russia Flag.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2017-10-12 10:13 PM | Reply

#2 - That's because you fail the Tillerson Test.

#4 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-10-13 12:46 AM | Reply

"never seen that level of mistakes"

If it is intentional, it's not a mistake.

#5 | Posted by 726 at 2017-10-13 09:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Hell, I can barely remember tickets I worked 2 weeks ago.

#2 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2017-10-12 10:08 PM | REPLY | FLAG

We understand your Trumpologist tendencies.

If it was Hillary the howling from you righties would be deafening.

#6 | Posted by 726 at 2017-10-13 09:58 AM | Reply

Makes you wonder about the Goober who stamped approved on it.

#7 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-10-13 11:18 AM | Reply

Hell, I can barely remember tickets I worked 2 weeks ago.

#2 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

If you work for the government and hold a security clearance you better damn well remember every foreign contact you make or you will lose your job.

These forms are legal documents and many say right at the bottom what those penalties are. The SF-86 says it right in the beginning. "The U.S. Criminal Code (title 18, section 1001) provides that knowingly falsifying or concealing a material fact is a felony which may result in fines and/or up to five (5) years imprisonment." .

If you cannot fill out government forms correctly you certainly shouldn't be working for the government.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-10-13 12:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Christ, this is a form you fill out in coordination with your assistants and attorneys. Don't tell me Kushner didn't have either.

#9 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-10-13 01:40 PM | Reply

He obviously was intentionally trying to conceal his Russian contacts.

#10 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2017-10-13 01:48 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by donnerboy

I pretty much agree with you but for that sentence. There are a LOT of government forms that lack good and/or ambiguous instruction. And when you ask a question you don't get a good answer. You have to give it an HONEST effort though. If you don't have your list of foreign contacts - don't send the stupid form in.

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-10-13 01:58 PM | Reply

"There are a LOT of government forms that lack good and/or ambiguous instruction."

When you work for the government it is part of the deal. It is like the entrance exam. Same thing for Social Security.

If you can't fill out the forms correctly(or find someone who can) you don't get the bennies.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-10-13 06:02 PM | Reply

2: Kushner's application didn't list any foreign contacts. How many did you have in the last few years, if any exist. I would hope you could remember at least some if you're going to be a White House employee.

#13 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2017-10-13 08:43 PM | Reply

You guys are a trip. I was talking about myself. Kushner? is just lying.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-14 01:12 AM | Reply