Thursday, October 12, 2017

An American woman, her Canadian husband and their three young children -- all of whom were born in captivity -- were rescued on Wednesday, five years to the day since the couple was kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan, ABC News has learned.

Caitlan Coleman, 31, and her husband Joshua Boyle, 34, who were abducted while hiking in Afghanistan's Ghazni province in 2012, were secured in an exchange between Pakistani military and U.S. commandos late Wednesday in a secret operation to bring them home after one of the longest -- and strangest -- American hostage ordeals in recent history, counterterrorism officials revealed.

According to two counterterrorism officials, U.S. special operations forces were considering a raid to rescue the family until they were suddenly moved over the weekend to a new location with terrain that would have made an operation difficult.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Yesterday, to the surprise of many within the U.S. military and government, the Pakistani Army announced that the family had been obtained.

The captor network was believed by intelligence and counterterrorism officials to have been part of the al-Qaeda-aligned Afghan Haqqani Network -- which also held Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl prisoner for five years until May 2014 -- but no one ever asked the families to pay ransom. The Haqqanis also have close ties to Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate.

The Colemans were tipped by the FBI yesterday that news was coming in their case.

"The U.S government called us Wednesday afternoon," Jim Coleman said this morning, when reached by phone by ABC News. "They told me to sit down and then they told me what had happened. All they told me was that they were in 'friendly hands.'"

A senior national security official said the Boyle-Coleman family has not yet departed Pakistan, as they weigh where they want to go now they have tasted freedom for a few precious hours.

"They're in Pakistan and they are safe," the official told ABC News.

Comments

Trump takes credit in 3... 2... 1...

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-12 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good call corky. It was a total surprise to Trump. And he is on the TV taking full credit right now.

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-10-12 11:49 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

That's hilarious.

Even I thought it might have taken him at least 5 mins to werk up that much childish ego.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-12 11:52 AM | Reply

who were abducted while hiking in Afghanistan's Ghazni province in 2012

I usually don't take in race, but..

Stupid white people. Who the --- "hikes" in Afghanistan?

Darwin award winners.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2017-10-12 12:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You're ------- high if you think AFG is a go-to hiking destination. And I agree with you, by the way, stupid ------- white people. I'm betting the Taliban broke their own rules and had a toddie or two in celebration for getting rid of these two..I mean five.

#5 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-10-12 12:40 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-10-12 12:40 PM | Reply

When we would fly close to the mountains in Afghanistan, I used to think, "Those people who like to climb mountains would love this place."

I mean the Mountains were beautiful and big. It's a mountain climbers paradise. Such a waste. Literally mountain after mountain after mountain.

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2017-10-12 01:18 PM | Reply

Yeah. Kinda like about a million other places on earth where you aren't going to get kidnapped.

I'm going to hike the Alps tomorrow morning. I guess maybe the lack of possible kidnappers is what kept these two away from the Alps...?

#8 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-10-12 01:29 PM | Reply

"They're in Pakistan and they are safe," the official told ABC News.

Haha...THAT's not true. ask Riggels.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-12 01:32 PM | Reply

#8 |

Next time you make a mistake, hopefully it won't cost you 5 years of Taliban captivity... well, not that you would ever make a mistake.

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-12 01:35 PM | Reply

Hiking in AFG was not a mistake...it was intentional bad judgement.

Maybe they were looking to find Bowe to smoke a joint...

#11 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-10-12 02:24 PM | Reply

Really? MadPsychic?

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-12 02:51 PM | Reply

Common sense, really. If you must go hiking in a country that ends in "stan," there are much prettier ones where you're quite unlikely to get kidnapped.

#13 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-10-13 02:42 AM | Reply

Arkanstan is beautiful this time of year.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-13 03:08 AM | Reply

Turns out the guy is a religious nut too. He was basically in his element. I think he was just using his wife's status as an American for propaganda.

#15 | Posted by boaz at 2017-10-13 07:40 AM | Reply

He's refusing a flight to USA; wants to fly commercial to Canada. Has family ties to Omar Kahdr. Somehow raised 3 healthy children while supposedly a prisoner of the Taliban. This doesn't sniff right.

#16 | Posted by Snowfake at 2017-10-13 01:29 PM | Reply

Damn, I thought they were Canadians.

#17 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-10-13 01:35 PM | Reply

"Arkanstan is beautiful this time of year."

Yeah.

My ass is sitting in Garmisch right now. If you wanted beautiful hiking, I can't imagine anywhere better.

#18 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-10-13 02:06 PM | Reply

This guy is a dirt bag. Serves him right they raped his wife. I hope they made him watch. And they killed his infant girl. I bet he wasn't expecting that.

So he gets back and is still talking against a United States that tipped off the Pakistanis on where he was that allowed a rescue to happen.

Everyone keeps asking why he would hike in Afghanistan. Well, it's obvious to anyone to is actually paying attention.

He thought he was one of them. He thought he could just walk up and say "Allah" and they would welcome him. The family felt comfortable enough to walk into their territory. It back fired on him.

I bet he thought his ties with Osama Bin Laden was going to protect him. He found out different.

This guy is a dirtbag.