Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Here's a popular right-wing meme that got spread around BEFORE the attack in Charlottesville: s3.crackedcdn.com
So, here's what I want to ask anyone sharing that (or wearing it on a t-shirt -- yes, they sell them): When we replace the stick figures with actual bleeding humans, does that change how you feel about it at all?

So, let's start here: What a human needs, above all else, is to matter. And mattering in 2017 is hard as ----.

There are 100 million Americans who neither have jobs nor are looking for one. Of those who do work, only 36 percent say their job has "meaning and significance" (did you know that a low-paying, unstable job is actually more stressful than unemployment?).

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I guess there used to be pride in building a house or a car, or growing crops -- creating something tangible -- but now, the machines have those jobs and we're stuck serving coffee or moving numbers around a spreadsheet, counting down the days until the machines take those jobs, too.

Our generation has fewer close friends than previous generations and are less likely to have a sexual partner or children of our own. We trust each other less than we ever have. We need to matter, but we don't have people in our lives reminding us of that, so we compensate. "I matter because I'm not [insert hateable stick figure here]."

And I can't emphasize enough how much it doesn't actually make a difference what goes in those brackets. Reddit's Trump community The_Donald overlaps strongly with their now-banned "Fat People Hate" community and the anti-woman subreddit TheRedPill. Where you find articles railing on blacks, you'll find articles demonizing Jews, homosexuals, trans people ... hell, go to any right-wing site and notice their bitter loathing of vegans.

It's hard for most people to grasp how hate can be both arbitrary and murderous, but that's how the human mind works. Once you switch into that primitive Us vs. Them survival mode, the rationale becomes totally irrelevant.

Comments

David Wong:

5. The Internet Could Have Been The Greatest Anti-Bigotry Tool In History

4. Yes, Cameras Do Change Mind

3. But The Sword Swings Both Ways

2. Modern Society May Have Cultivated A Population Ripe For Hate

1. But I Still Think The Good Guys Will Win

QFT

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-10-10 06:59 AM | Reply

So, let's start here: What a human needs, above all else, is to matter.

I think that nicely sums up what's wrong with modern society - the most narcissistic, self-absorbed, what-about-me generation ever to walk the face of the earth.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-10 07:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#2 - not true 'stang. I would make the argument that we (humans) are no different than we have ever been. Only the perception has changed. If anything, there is less crime per capita than ever. We just hear about every single one, instantly.

#3 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-10-10 08:12 AM | Reply

#2 - however, the biggest lie ever told, and it is told a million times a days in today's world is, 'if it saves one life, it is worth it'.

#4 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-10-10 08:15 AM | Reply

#3 Perhaps. I acknowledge that technology has given every schlub on the planet the ability to promote themselves via social media and that we therefore see it all the time. However, when I look at that behavior in combination with the "safe space" crowd, feelings-over-facts, the behavior of "adults" on college campuses, the Antifa movement, 47 gender identities, schools omitting valedictorians, etc etc etc... I just see this generation descending into an echo chamber where everyone sees themselves as SPECIAL, not just unique. Unique doesn't mean you matter. Everyone is unique, but you don't get trophies for unique.

#5 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-10 08:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"1. But I Still Think The Good Guys Will Win"

Er...Donald Trump is President. That disproves that theory right off the bat.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-10 08:24 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY MUSTANG

maybe we are only being finally forced to look at the true nature of our own contradictions.

I plainly remember when i was teenager, a smokin' hot girl told me i wasn't pretty in the face but my body was built in such a way that made girls lose their minds and made their panties fly off. Up until that point, I had always thought i was just pretty, due to my success with the girls. I didn't know that girls don't require the guy to be pretty as long as he is built like a god.

But, I was smart and philosophical. I said, 'okay, fine, you wanna hop in the back seat?'

#7 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-10-10 09:53 AM | Reply

#7 That's called "applied philosophy". If you had turned off the lights first, it would also be "ergonomics".

#8 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-10-10 09:55 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY KUDZU

Evolution says, you are wrong ....

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-10-10 10:03 AM | Reply

Only the perception has changed. -Kuzu

The smartphone/Internet enables self-absorption on a scale never seen or measured before.

We walk with our heads down, we communicate virtually, we are not like we have always been. The brain is a soft computer, its programming is malleable to a large extent to find patterns that feel good and seek more, just like a rat looking for cheese. The smart phone enables this patterning without real social interaction with the current environment.

This creates and enables the most narcissistic, self-absorbed, what-about-me generation ever to walk the face of the earth.

I admit I have enabled it and in someways I am part of it, but I am also aware of it, and with awareness comes change.....

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-10-10 10:10 AM | Reply

There are 100 million Americans who neither have jobs nor are looking for one.

Posted by PinchALoaf

With help wanted sign all over the country, but welfare pays better and you don't have to get off the couch.

#11 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-10-10 06:42 PM | Reply

"1. But I Still Think The Good Guys Will Win"

Er...Donald Trump is President. That disproves that theory right off the bat.

#6 | POSTED BY DANNI

Per David Wong ...

If you've come to the conclusion that the internet really didn't change anything because people are people and set in their beliefs, the facts say you're wrong.

For instance, the internet era has been devastating for religion in the U.S.A., with the ranks of nonbelievers more than doubling just since 1990.

In that same span, support for gay marriage went from 13 percent to 58 percent.

Support for marijuana legalization, from 12 percent to 53 percent.

I absolutely believe those abrupt changes happened because many Americans were coming in contact with their first atheists, uncloseted gay people, and admitted pot smokers and finding they weren't monsters.

You can strap somebody to a chair and make them watch a thousand hours of PSAs about how this group or that is "just like us," but it won't have the same impact as a single positive encounter with one of them. Dogma dies in the face of such experiences.

It's easy to think of the internet as a cesspool of anonymous harassers but it is mostly a constellation of tight-knit communities that overlap with others, bringing them together in unexpected ways.

You've heard a lot of talk about online "bubbles" of like-minded people getting more and more extreme in the absence of opposition, but the reason we became so much more open-minded on some issues in the first place is that online communities forced us to mingle across demographics.

We may all have joined a forum based on our Babylon 5 fandom, but we quickly realized some of the cool people we were talking to were the type we'd never have run into in our real-life neighborhoods ("Wait, you're posting from Brazil? What time is it there?!?").

When I was a kid, you'd hear about a deadly earthquake in Taiwan and briefly raise an eyebrow over your coffee. "So sad." Today, you jump online and say, "Wait, did they say Jiji? That's where Ironheart69 is from! Has anybody heard from her?"

What I'm hoping is that what we're seeing now is the reaction to that, the loud rage of a racist realizing his sister is dating a damned Muslim, that his old college roommate turned out to be a trans woman, and that there are black people in horror movies who don't die.

An ideology kicking and screaming as it is dragged out the door, the equivalent of segregationists blocking black children from their schools, knowing full well that theirs was a lost cause.

Over time, lots of those segregationists realized they were wrong, that their rage and the fear at its core were based on nothing.

That will happen again. I think. I hope.

I think that David Wong's reasoning and logic have merit. Sure, it won't happen overnight, but I think the glass is half full.

#12 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-10-10 07:16 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY MUSTANG

It's called being HUMAN, and if it weren't Facebook would go belly-up.

The other point your missing is people have less meaning and purpose in their life because one of the true sources of pride was having meaning employment and a meaningful career.

And just like the article points out, those things are now becoming harder to come by and human nature is to turn that frustration into hate -- at least until hateful rational falls on it's face as described in the article.

#13 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-10-10 07:22 PM | Reply

Evolution says, you are wrong ....
#9 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

Evolution has produced Corky. Aberration or trend? Dead end or seed pod?

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-10 07:44 PM | Reply

"Evolution has produced Corky. Aberration or trend? Dead end or seed pod?" - #14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-10 07:44 PM

Same with you.

And in your case I say aberration, dead end AND seed pod.

Your parents must be proud.

#15 | Posted by Hans at 2017-10-10 07:47 PM | Reply

#15 Oooohh...gimme five, down low, too slow.

#16 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-10 08:45 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Here's your answer ...

For most workers, real wages have barely budged for decades
www.google.com

Your welfare answer is a red herring.

#17 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-10-10 08:59 PM | Reply

A rotten, stinking, dead, and bloated red herring, at that.

#18 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-10-10 09:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Evolution says, you are wrong ....

#9 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

No it doesn't...

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-11 08:49 AM | Reply

For most workers, real wages have barely budged for decades. Your welfare answer is a red herring. - #17 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-10-10 08:59 PM

Those numbers are based solely on US wages. When you become part of the global economy, you have to broaden your range. Global wages have been gaining faster for a long time

You might want to consider that the problem many of the Trump voters had with globalization is the perceived decrease in their own income as global wages move towards the median, which we are well above.

#20 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-10-11 09:28 AM | Reply