Saturday, October 07, 2017

The nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018 were announced Thursday. This year's group includes 19 nominees from all different musical genres. To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of induction which means the 2018 nominees had to release their first official recording no later than 1992. Nine of the Class of 2018 nominees are first-timers to the list.

Comments

My favorites out of that group are The Cars, Depeche Mode and Radiohead. It seems a little weird that Radiohead is old enough to qualify.

I was into Depeche Mode's emo synthesized rock big time in high school and college.

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2017-10-07 04:07 PM | Reply

The grabbing hands
Grab all they can.
Everything counts
In bigly amounts.

#2 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-10-07 04:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The Moody Blues should have been in long ago.

"The Moodys have long been considered one of the Rock Hall's greatest omissions, and fans have mounted a particularly aggressive campaign on the group's behalf.

Fan voting for the Rock Hall has opened at www.rockhall.com and will run through December 5. Inductees for the Rock Hall class of 2018 will be announced in December, with the ceremony taking place April 14 at the Public Auditorium in Cleveland and filmed by HBO for subsequent broadcast."

www.billboard.com

Obviously, I am naming my today's first ever Birthday Batch of infused coconut oil after them ;}

Next batch... The Zombies!

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-07 04:30 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY RCADE

I thought larry collins was somethin' else

#4 | Posted by ABlock at 2017-10-07 04:33 PM | Reply

www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2017-10-07 04:39 PM | Reply

Snowflake Ted ------------- is whining that he isn't in the HOF because of his involvement with the NRA. lol

www.billboard.com

#6 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2017-10-07 05:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

I support all of the nominees but probably, for me, Dire Straits is my favorite. Sultans of Swing was amazing to me.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-07 05:39 PM | Reply

Kate Bush: I only know one song, Wuthering Heights, which is amazing
The Cars: First album is a masterpiece, all downhill from then on with maybe 3 or 4 good songs, not worthy
Depeche Mode: Can't stand them but highly influential for some reason
Dire Straits: 2 good songs in my book, not a fan
Eurythmics: No way
J. Geils Band: No way
Judas Priest: Though one. Iron Maiden in? They deserve it more.
LL Cool J: This a joke?
MC5: MC what?
The Meters: No idea
Moody Blues: Yes, for sure
Radiohead: like first album and OK Computer, very influential, will get in
Rage Against the Machine: not my cup of tea
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan: Another joke.
Nina Simone: Nina who?
Sister Rosetta Tharpe: Sister what?
Link Wray: Link whom?
The Zombies: 2 masterpieces, doubt they have enough material to warrant membership, but the know nothings at the RRHF will get them in.

#8 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2017-10-07 09:10 PM | Reply

www.billboard.com

#6 | POSTED BY REINHEITSGEBOT

From your link: "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is an ultra-exclusive club with very few members, so it is no wonder that it is notoriously hard to get inducted."

LMAOF. They have some of the most excruciating, talent-less hacks ever put on record. Ted Nugent, a creepy, deplorable dumb-ass for sure, is way better then half the 2018 nominees. Look at these killers.

Stranglehold
Great White Buffalo
I Loved You So I Told You A Lie
Cat Scratch Fever
Snakeskin Cowboy

#9 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2017-10-07 09:22 PM | Reply

Maybe so, but look at when "Ted",refused the be a Killer. Just google Ted Nugent draft dodger. What a puss!!!! Hey, but now he's a reichwing, "hero"! Figures!!

#10 | Posted by zelkova at 2017-10-07 11:19 PM | Reply

guitar player...seriously check out larry collins when he was about 11years old/collins kids
he's about my age. i remember him from when i was a kid. his sister was ricky nelsons first
girlfriend. i think he still plays also writes songs. he wrote Delta Dawn and The reason god
made oklahoma. they're on youtube of course

#11 | Posted by ABlock at 2017-10-08 12:22 AM | Reply

I feel old.

Also, I've never heard of a large number of those groups...

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2017-10-08 12:34 AM | Reply

CRISISSTILLS

if you were asked to name a man and a women as manifestations of the music that really
resonates with you, who would they be.
i don't mean you're favorite male/female artist. the people who really manifest the same
qualities that move you musically

#13 | Posted by ABlock at 2017-10-08 12:52 AM | Reply

I can understand not knowing the name Link Wray, but are you sure you haven't heard this song in like 100 movies?

www.youtube.com

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-08 01:07 AM | Reply

Dire Straits
Moody Blues
Nina Simone
Link Wray
Everybody else can wait.

#15 | Posted by squinch at 2017-10-08 12:48 PM | Reply

The Meters are waaaaaaaay overdue.
Link Wray is waaay overdue.
The Moody Blues? Yeah, OK.
Considering the number of other non-rock and roll types in the hall, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Nina Simone should have been in years ago.
Everybody else can wait until Steppenwolf and King Crimson get in.

#16 | Posted by morris at 2017-10-08 04:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

CRISISSTILLS
resonates with you, who would they be.
qualities that move you musically

#13 | POSTED BY ABLOCK

Greatest band ever is Led Zep, duh, but me being a lifelong guitarist, Jimi resonates the most, for his revolutionary rhythm playing, his sad death and how he continues to influence myself and other musicians.

#17 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2017-10-09 08:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Man...this is like asking who the prettiest woman is. it is nice to read about something that

doesn't include the four horsemen. Guitar players gotta be one of the most subjective things

there are to talk about. I've always read that Hendrix had serious skills from classical to rock

but he never played anything that i much cared for. Ability wise..not a mention of Leo Kottke.

Anyone who can tell you who's the best guitarist can also tell you which icecream tastes the best

#18 | Posted by ABlock at 2017-10-09 11:53 AM | Reply

Ablock, I would never call Hendrix the best guitarists ever from a technical standpoint, especially solo wise. I have to admit I'm probably caught up more in the persona then anything else, up to the point where I personalized a poster of his with the caption: Legend, Messiah, Martyr (with a little help from Pink Floyd). Everyone asks me where I bought that.

#19 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2017-10-09 12:36 PM | Reply

CRISISSTILLS

I hear you. I'm not a musician so i'm repeating and i've read that Hendrix had preternatural
abilities. check out the collins kids on youtube. honestly i can only comment on what i like
and i listen to everything. tech expertise.. Andres Segovia

#20 | Posted by ABlock at 2017-10-09 12:58 PM | Reply

"Ablock, I would never call Hendrix the best guitarists ever from a technical standpoint, especially solo wise"

Who gives two ----- about the technical standpoint?
I don't listen to technique. I listen to music.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-09 12:59 PM | Reply

Dire Straits: Yes
Moody Blues: Yes
Nina Simone: Yes
The Cars: Yes
Depeche Mode: Yes
Rage Against Machine: Maybe
Eurhythmics: Maybe

#22 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-10-09 01:04 PM | Reply

Who gives two ----- about the technical standpoint?
#21 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

serious musicians whose studies very much include technique...probably goes a long way
toward creating that music we like to hear

#23 | Posted by ABlock at 2017-10-09 01:08 PM | Reply

Rock and Roll HOF is lame.

Dire Straits...no frikkin way.
Rage against...absolutely.
Depeche Mode...no way. My buddy saw them in Vegas the day before the attack and we are still bagging on him for it.

Did Flock of Seagulls make it in yet?

#24 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-10-09 01:13 PM | Reply

--Rock and Roll HOF is lame.

No doubt about it. If the Zombies don't make it, I'm resigning as a voting member.

#25 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-09 01:24 PM | Reply

It really isn't that exclusive bc if it were they would not have enough winners to hold a concert every year.

I was in Toronto a few weeks ago and met some English chaps who flew over to see the friggen Scorpions. Any ---- band that was around for a while has fans that think they are great. Mind as we'll put them all in...,

#26 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-09 01:33 PM | Reply

and you know, while we're on rock n' roll, think how many threads on the DR could just cut

directly to the chase....." Share it fairly, But don't take a slice of MY pie "

#27 | Posted by ABlock at 2017-10-09 02:37 PM | Reply

I always thought Rage Against the Machine had great instrumentals but their music is ruined by Zack de la Rocha's singing. He sounds like an angry 15 year old. I can't take them seriously at all with his noise.

#28 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-10-09 04:49 PM | Reply

No Sonics. HOF is worse than lame - it's irrelevant.

#29 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2017-10-09 05:05 PM | Reply

Who gives two ----- about the technical standpoint?
I don't listen to technique. I listen to music.

#21 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

I agree totally. Who wouldn't take Pete Townsend's legacy over Steve Vai. We all listen to music first. Technical ability always comes as an add-on.

#30 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2017-10-09 07:12 PM | Reply