Thursday, September 14, 2017

Your afternoon chocolate bar may be fueling climate change, destroying protected forests, and threatening elephants, chimpanzees and hippos in West Africa, research suggests. Well-known brands, such as Mars and Nestle, are buying through global traders cocoa that is grown illegally in dwindling national parks and reserves in Ivory Coast and Ghana, environmental group Mighty Earth said. "Every consumer of chocolate is a part of either the problem or the solution," Etelle Higonnet, campaign director at Mighty Earth, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation. "You can choose to buy ethical chocolate. Or you're voting with your dollar for deforestation."

Comments

Non-issue here. This is America. We don't buy chocolate. We buy vegetable oil with chocolate flavoring.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-09-14 02:56 PM | Reply

*artificial chocolate flavoring.

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-09-14 02:56 PM | Reply

Glad to see the CS Monitor finally catching on.

Look for the Fair Trade mark on chocolates. Or Equal Exchange.

fairtradeusa.org

equalexchange.coop

Ethical Chocolate Companies

www.slavefreechocolate.org

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2017-09-14 03:23 PM | Reply

"afternoon chocolate bar"

Is that a common thing?

#4 | Posted by LEgregius at 2017-09-14 03:39 PM | Reply

If you don't gain weight from eating chocolate it's ethical chocolate.

#5 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-09-14 03:56 PM | Reply

The slave thing caused me to quit eating chocolate years ago, while there are more now than before it was a chore to track down slave free chocolate and the treat isn't worth the hassle, easier to do without.

Ben and jerry's ice cream and ingredients are all ethically sourced and free trade so if I just have to have chocolate I'll get some coffee coffee buzz buzz buzz.

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-09-14 04:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I adore chocolate, behind Scotch, it's my worst vice. I will do my best to buy cholcolate from Ethical Chocolate Companies, Why would anyone make fun of that? Corky, lead on! You're a good leader! I happen to be a great follower. But I know who to follow. I'm not stupid, I'm just not a leader.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2017-09-14 10:35 PM | Reply

lol, Danni.... should you decide to accept it, here is your first mission:

A Chocolate for the Scotch Lover

www.nytimes.com

( may require financing! )

www.liquidchocolates.com

Adult Candy: Scotch & Chocolate for Burns Night
Honor Scotland's national poet, Robert Burns, by pairing whisky with bonbons and truffles.

www.thedailybeast.com