Thursday, September 14, 2017

President Trump on Wednesday vowed not to cut taxes for the wealthy, extolled the virtues of bipartisanship as leading to "some of the greatest legislation ever passed" and then -- in a surprise move announced deep into the night -- agreed to cut a deal with Democrats saving hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants from deportation. That Trump did all of that while declaring himself "a conservative" only heightened the sense of surrealism that has wafted through the nation's capital over the past eight days, as the president has expressed a newfound, if tentative, willingness to work across the aisle -- a development that has left many Republicans chagrined and some Democrats cautiously optimistic.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Trump's outreach suggested that an unexpected deal he reached last week with Democrats may not have been an aberration.

This week's effort began Tuesday at a bipartisan White House dinner with senators and proceeded to a gathering of House Democrats and Republicans on Wednesday afternoon.

It was finally capped off Wednesday night by a presidential meal with the nation's two top Democrats, Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), during which they reached the contours of an immigration deal and discussed Beijing trade issues over a menu of Chinese cuisine.

"He was very explicit in saying that there would be no tax cut in this package for the wealthy," said Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.), referring to a pledge by Trump on Wednesday that would mark a notable departure from his previous proposals.

"At one point, he said they may have to pay a little more."

Comments

"Trump's reasons for engaging with lawmakers beyond the Republican leadership is deeply shaped by his experience on health-care legislation, which has so far stalled in the Senate after months of fits and starts, according to two people familiar with the issue who have spoken with him recently.

Trump remains unhappy with GOP leaders for promising success earlier in the year, only to see the effort fall apart, said the people, who insisted on anonymity to speak candidly.

Trump now believes that Republicans -- who control both the House and the Senate -- cannot be trusted to carry bills to passage by themselves and views it as his burden to create a better environment for his legislative agenda to garner support.

What matters to him, one Republican lawmaker said, is "putting wins on the board -- not the specifics."

Mackris would be SO pissed!

Dems shouldn't hold their breath, though. This is Lil' Donnie's way of getting the attention of Republicans by threatening to make deals without them if they can't pass anything for him to crow about.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2017-09-14 12:11 AM | Reply

Dems shouldn't hold their breath, though....
#1 | POSTED BY CORKY

For sure. For as mercurial as he's been with his own party, he's going to be much worse with #TheResistance.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-09-14 12:15 AM | Reply

Mackris would be SO pissed!

- corky.

Lol, I am not pissed, so I have to spend $20,000 of my own money for my sail.

The tax break would be nothing but gravy. In fact the DR hysteria has been priceless.

How did things fair for you corky? I flew into APF yesterday on my charter, things weren't too bad. Unlike your poor attitude about fellow DR community members, I hope you faired well too.

#3 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-09-14 12:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Some of us aren't that miserly, nor do we continuously brag about our money as if it were what made us important to others.

I hope your wage slave gardeners faired well.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2017-09-14 12:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

I hope your wage slave gardeners faired well.

#4 | POSTED BY CORKY

They are gardeners. Surely they are discretely helping themselves to some of the crops.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-09-14 12:38 AM | Reply

But, as you said, 20k of kid's school lunch money in your pocket would have only been fair to you....

#4 | POSTED BY CORKY

If those poor kids had any gumption they'd become bullies and steal the rich kids' lunch money.

#6 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-09-14 12:40 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY CORKY AT

Kinda makes it seem like the whole thing is made up.

#7 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-09-14 07:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'd let the kids eat. I like to see people eating. I take an occasional meal myself.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2017-09-14 08:15 AM | Reply

Why would you feed school kids when you can fund a new sail for a 1%er?

The kids can quit school and get a job in the reopened coal mines if they want to eat

#9 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-09-14 09:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

If Trump adopted Steve Bannon's plan to raise taxes on the rich with a new 44% percent tax bracket, Dems' heads would explode.

#10 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-09-14 09:56 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Trump said it so it must be true. He has never lied to anyone before.

#11 | Posted by 726 at 2017-09-14 10:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

What Trump says so far is consistently 180 degrees different than the legislation that the GOP is pushing. Why should this be any different. He is either not paying attention or willfully deceiving the public. Neither is a good combination in a President.

#12 | Posted by 726 at 2017-09-14 10:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He is either not paying attention or willfully deceiving the public.

#12 | Posted by 726 at 2017-09-14 10:07 AM | Reply

He's fumbling around for some way to be loved. Next week he'll remember that being a villain is pretty cool, too.

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2017-09-14 10:17 AM | Reply

"What Trump says so far is consistently 180 degrees different than the legislation that the GOP is pushing."

Just like healthcare.

"President Trump on Wednesday vowed not to cut taxes for the wealthy"

So once again, Trump hasn't read the legislation he's extolling.

I hope, at the least, someone retorted YOU LIE to his orange face.

#14 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-09-14 10:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It doesn't matter to the Trumplings, if he says it, they will believe it despite what the bill actually does. When the bill gives 60% of the tax cuts to the 1%, he will just label it fake news and his morons will believe him. I don't understand the cognitive disconnect with reality these morons have.

#15 | Posted by 726 at 2017-09-14 11:29 AM | Reply

There is no "working across the aisle" with Dems. They either refuse to work with them (as Obama did and even SAID, so you can't try to refute it) or they won't accept anything but everything they ask for. That's not considered working across the aisle; that's considered childish. Compromising is an art form Dems never learn because they are too busy expecting everyone else to give them everything they want and then throwing temper tantrums when they don't get it. It's just part of Dem party's DNA. It's no better or worse than the Reps' DNA, but it is what it is.

#16 | Posted by humtake at 2017-09-14 11:59 AM | Reply

"so I have to spend $20,000 of my own money for my sail."

"the money i won suing my ex employer whos politics i fully endorse except when it affects me personally"

#17 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-09-14 12:06 PM | Reply

if only other americans would just get harrassed, we all could be millionaires.. this is poor people's fault!

#18 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-09-14 12:10 PM | Reply

"There is no "working across the aisle" with Dems. They either refuse to work with them (as Obama did and even SAID, so you can't try to refute it) or they won't accept anything but everything they ask for."

Look up Caucus Room Conspiracy stupid.

Here I'll do it for you:

The Conspiracy to Commit Legislative Constipation | Vanity Fair

#19 | Posted by danni at 2017-09-14 12:24 PM | Reply

Here's the link:

www.vanityfair.com

#20 | Posted by danni at 2017-09-14 12:25 PM | Reply

There is no "working across the aisle" with Dems.

To the GOP "working across the aisle" means the dems give them everything they want only. They are three year olds. Temper tantrums during State of the Union proved it.

#21 | Posted by 726 at 2017-09-14 01:01 PM | Reply

File this right after

"I will build a wall and Mexico will pay for it"
"Now, the audience was the biggest ever. But this crowd was massive. Look how far back it goes."
"You had millions of people that now aren't insured anymore."
"We had a very smooth rollout of the travel ban. But we had a bad court. Got a bad decision."
"We're going to put our miners back to work."
"I would not be a president who took vacations. I would not be a president that takes time off."
"One of the first things I'd do in terms of executive order, if I win, will be to sign a strong, strong statement that would go out to the country, out to the world, that anybody killing a police man, a police woman, a police officer, anybody killing a police officer, the death penalty is going to happen,"
"I will ask, to appoint a special prosecutor. We have to investigate Hillary Clinton, and we have to investigate the investigation."
"I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money."
"I would bring back waterboarding, and I'd bring back a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding,"
"We will move the American embassy to the eternal capital of the Jewish people, Jerusalem."
"A Trump Administration will also ensure that we start using American steel for American infrastructure."
"Instruct the Treasury Secretary to label China a currency manipulator."
"I'm under a routine audit and it'll be released, and as soon as the audit is finished it will be released."

#22 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-09-14 04:11 PM | Reply

How long will this last?

#23 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-09-14 04:13 PM | Reply

In fact the DR hysteria has been priceless.

#3 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

People are burning their MAGA hats. I find it hilarious.

#24 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-09-15 11:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Macrkis is considering burning her MAGA sail, but only if she gets some kid's school lunch money as a tax cut.

#25 | Posted by Corky at 2017-09-15 11:40 AM | Reply

Given our 1st Amendment right to free speech and our capitalism, ONLY ESPN can make the decision if she should be fired.

I believe she is an idiot who probably acted impulsively, but I don't think she should be fired.

IMHO, ESPN should explain to her how their ratings have been dropping as they have become more and more politicized. The best way to reverse that is to become less politicized. The mission at ESPN is show sports. Should someone become detrimental to that goal, they should be fired.

#26 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-09-15 05:36 PM | Reply

It's like people getting DOXED as a Klansman.

#27 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-09-15 05:37 PM | Reply

OOPS, I posted those comments on the wrong thread.

I had another web page open about Jemele Hill at ESPN.

#28 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-09-15 05:39 PM | Reply