Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Shortly before Equifax Inc. revealed last week that it had been hacked, Fran Rosch got a call. The Symantec Corp. executive was vacationing in Maine, visiting his parents, when an Equifax representative telephoned to say sensitive information about 143 million Americans had been put at risk. ... Since news of the breach, LifeLock has seen six times its usual web traffic and the company is enrolling 10 times as many new customers every hour than before the attack was disclosed. "We're over 100,000 new members and counting since the breach," Rosch said.

Comments

I'm thinking about freezing my credit.

#1 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-09-13 03:14 PM | Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if LifeLock actively sells customer data to criminals

They've never been a reputable company in my mind.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-09-13 03:23 PM | Reply

I wonder if any Lifelock members had their ID stolen with this breach?

"Can't stop all ID theft...."

#3 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-09-13 03:28 PM | Reply

Their old CEO has his identity stolen 13 times.

www.wired.com

#4 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-09-13 03:52 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by Pirate

He also posted his SSN everywhere Inviting people to do it. When the credit agencies shut down their credit freeze method of protecting your ID it certainly opened the flood gates on that.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-09-13 04:35 PM | Reply

Looks like some good info here

www.consumer.ftc.gov

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-09-13 05:12 PM | Reply

There's a rumor Lifelock was the hacker. Pass it around. The propaganda media loves stories like that even if unfounded.

#7 | Posted by Ray at 2017-09-13 06:17 PM | Reply

For those who don't know.

You can pay $10 to each of the 3 main credit bureaus and they will lock your credit report (ha ha ha) so only companies who have already given you credit can pull your report.

Your credit report can not be used to obtain new credit.

If you want to let someone get access to your credit report, you can unfreeze them temporarily free or specify exactly who may pull the report.

(except for hackers your information is locked down)

#8 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-09-13 06:35 PM | Reply

Did someone post they don't do that anymore?

#9 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-09-13 06:36 PM | Reply

No...I think they still do it.

#10 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-09-13 06:37 PM | Reply

I used lifelock temporarily.

They do one interesting thing. They dig through all the open databases that store private information and request your information be purged.

If nothing else, using their service briefly to do that is pretty good.

It's just inexpensive.

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-09-13 06:40 PM | Reply

My data was "highly likely" to have been breached in the Equifax leak... I've considered signing up with this identity protection service.

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-09-13 07:12 PM | Reply

I keep hoping someone will steal my identity and feel bad for me and fix my credit, so far no luck.

#13 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-09-13 07:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#8 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

The fee has been waived until November.

www.google.com

#14 | Posted by memyselfini at 2017-09-13 09:39 PM | Reply

Credit Karma is free. In June I had a rash of hard inquiries, Credit Karma listed them in real time. I contacted the sheriff's office. Got a case # called Equifax provided the case # and for free they placed a hard freeze on my account and contacted the other 2 agencies who did the same. The thief ended up with 3 credit cards in my name. This was in June. I have just been notified that it was determined fraud and will take 30 - 90 days to get the hard inquiries and delinquent reports off my credit reports.

#15 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-09-14 04:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

LifeLock*

*LifeLock Inc. (NYSE:LOCK) is an American identity theft protection company based in Tempe, Arizona. The company offers the LifeLock identity theft protection system, which is intended to detect fraudulent applications for various credit and non-credit related services.[2][3] As of 20 November 2016, it is a subsidiary of Symantec.
In 2015, it was ordered to pay $100 million to settle Federal Trade Commission contempt charges for failing to protect consumer information and deceptive advertising, the largest monetary award obtained by the Commission for an enforcement action.[4]

Birds of a feather flock together.

#16 | Posted by 726 at 2017-09-15 07:59 AM | Reply

#15 I love credit karma.

#17 | Posted by 726 at 2017-09-15 07:59 AM | Reply

#8 | Posted by BillJohnson

Inaccurate. It depends on the state. The laws vary state by state.

As far as I know I can lock my credit for free here and I thought that was true in all states. But the unlock is a feature which can definitely either be free or have a charge to do. Again it is something that varies by state but it depends on if it is a temporary unfreeze or a permanent one and states charge differently.

But who's to say someone with your information can't unlock your frozen credit... I mean duh.

#18 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-09-15 03:50 PM | Reply