Monday, September 11, 2017

"She had a business suit on, her hair was all askew," he said. "This woman stood there for what seemed like minutes, then she held down her skirt and then stepped off the ledge. I thought, how human, how modest to hold down her skirt before she jumped. I couldn't look after that."

Comments

An inscription on the lobby wall greets visitors in Latin at the offices of the New York City medical examiner. It is an adage familiar to places where autopsies are performed. Reasonably translated, it says: "Let conversation cease. Let laughter flee. This is the place where death rejoices to help the living."

Another saying, borrowed from the Book of Proverbs, Chapter 31, might also work were it to be put on that wall: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves." That, too, is what the medical examiner's office is about. Rarely has it been called upon to speak up as relentlessly as it has for those whose voices were silenced at the World Trade Center 16 years ago.
9/11: Finding Answers in Ashes 16 Years Later
www.nytimes.com

Of the 2,753 victims of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, no physical trace has been found for 1,112 of them. Thus, for 40 percent of those who died that day, no remains have been returned to their families.
Remembering the Disappeared
www.nytimes.com

#1 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-09-11 08:01 AM | Reply

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-09-11 12:20 PM | Reply

"Of the 2,753 victims of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, no physical trace has been found for 1,112 of them."

Must have burned up in the thermite...

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-09-11 01:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

September 11, 2001: The day everything changed.

Almost every single one of us is affected by the events of 9/11 on an almost daily basis. Be it security at the airport, increased monitoring of our phones and PCs, metal detectors at pretty much every public government building, paranoia and fear of brown and Muslim people, friends and neighbors either gone to war or even injured and lost in the subsequent wars, the Patriot Act and the tenor of modern day fear oriented politics. The list goes on and on. Everything changed.

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-09-11 01:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Must have burned up in the thermite...

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-09-11 01:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

I have always felt awful for the families and those that perished in the tragedy but deep inside I cannot let go of the cynical feelings I have toward the US Govt. concerning this event.

#5 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-09-11 02:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My high school sophomores weren't even alive. I tried to explain that it was similar to the Cold War, where I didn't really understand the impact of the Cold War ending because I was so young. Similarly, they have very little understanding of how the world changed because it's all they've known. They were curious about that - how HAS it changed, what IS different, etc. It's hard to pinpoint an intangible like that, but increased paranoia, constant warfare - I just said it would be nice some day to get back to the way things were beforehand.

#6 | Posted by dylanfan at 2017-09-11 03:56 PM | Reply

Ran into the same problem a few years ago with university students, for whom 9/11 might as well be (and appears to them as relevant/irrelevant as) the Vietnam War or the Battle of Thermopylae.

It's like going to the site of a massive, once fresh-in-the-memory battle. The monuments, like the event itself, meant far more to people directly affected by it than it ever could to us.

And were I OBL, I would - partly in light of the changes you mention - consider 9/11 a job well done.

#7 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-09-11 04:44 PM | Reply

Gonna pour out a beer to my homey, WTC 7.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-09-11 05:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'll be telling this story deep into old age should I live a long time.

I was in Korea on 9/11. An alert was called. As we(the U.S. Army soliders) were running back to Camp Red Cloud, I remember the Koreans bowing in the street as we ran by saying "I'm so sorry", "We are sorry this happened to you".

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2017-09-12 07:34 AM | Reply

Blown off a lot of goodwill in the intervening years.

#10 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-09-12 08:09 AM | Reply

#10-
It didn't take long, either. I was studying overseas in London in the fall of 2001 (flew out on Sept. 18). At the start of the trip, nearly every British person I met was SO supportive. There were memorials in London, especially I think it was outside the US embassy (sadly I forget the exact location, but there's a park in the London with all sorts of American paraphernalia to begin with - it was this park). By the time December rolled around, people were definitely beginning to question the US response. I can't recall the specifics, but I know the support had waned significantly.

#11 | Posted by dylanfan at 2017-09-12 01:25 PM | Reply