Sunday, September 10, 2017

Don Williams, the Country Music Hall of Fame member whose imposing height and warm, reassuring voice earned him the nickname "Gentle Giant," died Friday, September 8, after a short illness. An internationally popular country star, Williams recorded dozens of hit songs, including "Tulsa Time," "Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good" and "It Must Be Love." He was 78. Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum CEO Kyle Young said in a statement Friday. "His music will forever be a balm in troublesome times. Everyone who makes country music with grace, intelligence, and ageless intent will do so while standing on the shoulders of this gentle giant."

Comments

"Born in Floydada, Texas, on May 27th, 1939, Don Williams was raised in Portland, Texas, where he learned guitar from his mother. Initially performing in Corpus Christi in a duo called Strangers Two with singer Lofton Kline, Williams and his partner met singer Susan Taylor and formed the folk-pop trio that would be called the Pozo-Seco Singers.

Based in Nashville, the trio earned two Top 40 tunes, "I Can Make It With You" and "Look What You've Done," in late 1966."

The Pozo Seco Singers

www.youtube.com

Sheryl Crow & Eric Clapton - "Tulsa Time" (Live, 2007) with Albert Lee & Vince Gill -

www.youtube.com

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2017-09-09 12:17 PM | Reply

"Williams' songs have been recorded by country superstars Alan Jackson and Lee Ann Womack, as well as rock legends Pete Townshend and Eric Clapton.

Just one day before he turned 78 last May, the tribute album Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams was issued.

A testament to his widespread and long-lasting influence, the LP featured performances of beloved Williams hits by Alison Krauss, Chris Stapleton, Pistol Annies, Brandy Clark, Keb' Mo', Trisha Yearwood, Garth Brooks, Lady Antebellum, songwriter Roger Cook, Dierks Bentley, John Prine, and Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires.

A special tribute to the longtime Grand Ole Opry member was also performed on the Opry stage just days after that album was released. That same month, the concert CD/DVD package, Don Williams in Ireland: The Gentle Giant in Concert, was released, featuring an onstage performance from the Emerald Isle."

Love Is on a Roll - John Prine

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2017-09-09 12:30 PM | Reply

I can't believe it! First Glen Campbell, now Don Williams. He was definitely one of my favorites. He sang beautiful songs. God Bless, RIP.

Man, I'm getting old.

#3 | Posted by shane at 2017-09-09 07:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

First Glen Campbell..

He was hardly first. Johnny Cash is dead too. So is Merle Haggard. Hank Williams? About a zillion more?

Old people tend to die. Chuck Yeager is old and still alive... so is Cher.

These obit threads are kind of odd.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-09-09 08:04 PM | Reply

I grew up hating country, an opinion I've changed in recent years to let in old-time country and Americana music. Even as a hater I was fond of "Tulsa Time." That song bored into my brain.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2017-09-10 10:49 AM | Reply

Same, RCADE. I've grown to not only respect country music, but to actually like some of it. The classic stuff sounds good to me, along with quite a bit of the alt-country. People like Alex Williams, Jason Isbell, Kacey Musgraves, Sturgill Simpson and many more are making good music.

But I still can't deal with the mindless pap of Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Toby Keith and Jason Aldean. They still suck.

#6 | Posted by cbob at 2017-09-10 08:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I liked his style. Unhurried and soulful. RIP

#7 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2017-09-11 04:46 PM | Reply

RIP Mr.Williams, a true gentleman. One of the best.

#8 | Posted by zelkova at 2017-09-11 08:19 PM | Reply

Agreed. Nothing is as bad in music as bad country music.

#9 | Posted by rcade at 2017-09-12 08:45 AM | Reply