Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Finn Murphy ... has been a long-haul trucker for more than 30 years. "Every single driver I've ever talked to listens to NPR," said Murphy. ... Murphy writes that even if truckers "may not like the slant, if there is one," they still listen to public radio. A few years ago, he was sitting at a truck stop coffee counter with a driver who was a Ku Klux Klan member. Murphy asked the other driver if he listened to NPR. "He said, 'Oh god, yeah, 'US Jews and Girls Report.' I said, 'Well, what do you mean?' He said, 'Well, all the commentators are Jews ... and they're always talking about women's issues. It drives me crazy.'"

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Murphy also said that public radio stations don't know how many truckers listen to them. He realized this after talking about his book on public radio stations.

"They're like, 'Really? Truckers listen to NPR?'" he said. "I'm like, 'Yeah, every frigging trucker listens to NPR.'"

Comments

That would pit me to sleep and then I'd crash.

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-22 09:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-22 09:02 AM | Reply

Of course they do (or did, before XM/Sirius): NPR was on AM radio and was a good strong signal most times. News flash: they also listened to Art Bell.

#3 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-08-22 09:07 AM | Reply

Most truckers like familiar stations and NPR has the same format from coast to coast. Mostly talk and news, they also like Rush Limbaugh, but he isn't carried in some areas. Back in the old days the favorite was "clear channel" stations, several stations on the same frequency that were within range of the interstates from coast to coast.

#4 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-08-22 09:08 AM | Reply

The same 12 songs on a station over and over get boring... NPR is the only choice, or its Conservative talk radio with some guy screaming because he went off his meds.

#5 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-08-22 09:17 AM | Reply

Doesn't surprise me. I've driven I-5 the length of California numerous times. Once you get out of range of NPR in the south you're in range of NPR in the north. The alternative is spanish-language and christian stations.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-08-22 09:27 AM | Reply

" Mostly talk and news, they also like Rush Limbaugh, but he isn't carried in some areas"

Like where? The moon?>

#7 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-22 09:42 AM | Reply

Now they can get podcasts.

But NPR has a way of linking you back to reality and current events. Even if you disagree, it's a way to tap back into normal life.

And to be honest, they are one of the better news sources out there.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-22 10:06 AM | Reply

I love NPR. Rush Limbaugh the obese drug-addict draft-dodger drives me up the wall.

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-22 10:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#7 - An interesting thing has been happening to Limpballs, he's been losing a lot of the more powerful stations he used to dominate. For example he lost the big stick he was on in LA, relegated to a little 1000 watt signal. As corporate ownership of radio has coalesced around a few huge corporations, Limpballs has actually become less prominent. You notice that he's rarely talked about in the top one or two influential Reichwing media members. Now it's Faux and Sinclair, hate radio is taking a backseat.

#10 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2017-08-22 10:46 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY _GUNSLINGER_

This is what happens when Corporate America takes over. Ask Hollywood.

It becomes commercialized and sanitized to reach the large audience possible.

#11 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-08-22 10:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I too love NPR.

After a while the endless commercials on regular radio can get on anyone's nerves. That is reason enough to switch to NPR, which since Reagan has become another hangout for Corporate shills, albeit more pleasant unless they are asking for money.

The variety of non-political programming, especially on weekends, makes for a fun companion without interfering with getting work done or keeping your eyes on the road. I miss Boston's Click & Clack.

But, why don't all truckers just subscribe to satellite radio, which provides continuous reception everywhere.

#12 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-08-22 11:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I forgot about the commercials. They also interview people too. I like it.

#13 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-22 11:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It becomes commercialized and sanitized to reach the large audience possible.

If anyone needs to be sanitized, it's Rush Limbaugh.

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2017-08-22 11:30 AM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

I wondered the same thing. When I used to drive long distances a lot more often, I subscribed to XM Radio. Listening to the same show or a live sports game helps the trip stay interesting.

SiriusXM has a channel for truckers with lots of interstate traffic updates. I would think that might be more popular than NPR.

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2017-08-22 11:33 AM | Reply

If anyone needs to be sanitized, it's Rush Limbaugh.

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2017-08-22 11:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

Nahhhhhhh then we wouldn't be able to tell the crazies from the normal people.

#16 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-22 11:35 AM | Reply

"This is what happens when Corporate America takes over. Ask Hollywood."

Clearchannel isn't corporate America. Limbaugh has been representing corporate America his entire career, that's exactly why he is on so many stations.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-22 11:38 AM | Reply

Should have been: "This is what happens when Corporate America takes over. Ask Hollywood?"

#18 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-22 11:38 AM | Reply

I drove long-haul 18 wheelers hauling heavy equipment summers during the early 70's to pay for collage. It was the advent of CB radios over hand signals to other truckers; when convoys were legal and my Peterbilt could do over 85 in the stretches, lol.

My handle was the Cherokee Kid.... one of several, I found out. Heard a driver on the mid-west plains a couple of times called The Purple Pickle. Finally saw the truck one time and sure enough it was a bright purple rig hauling pickles.

Saw quite a few truck wrecks and got kicked out of more than one southern truck stop that didn't 'llow no long-haired hippies. Did lots of Black Mollies and smoked lots of pot. Kept several time log books. North of the Mason Dixon line most bridges weren't marked for height, so that often proved problematic and downright scary.

Never did listen to NPR back then if they were even on the air, although I became a great fan later. Lots of road songs though... Radar Love, Six Days on the Road, Radar Blues, lol. In the Smokies there was great blue grass on local stations and in Louisiana great Cajun songs.

XM woulda been nice.

#19 | Posted by Corky at 2017-08-22 12:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Had a friend who drove long distance through the south call me late at night.

After six straight hours of listening to some televangelist on the radio talk about hell he was terrified.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2017-08-22 01:08 PM | Reply

lol-

NPR is what I listen to to fall asleep... better than a handful of pills... zzzzzzzz

#21 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2017-08-22 03:00 PM | Reply

I wonder if it was David J. Smith of Newswatch Magazine, a creepy radio televangelist I used to hear in Florida in the middle of the night. Here's an example of him:

www.youtube.com

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2017-08-22 03:55 PM | Reply

www.youtube.com

#23 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2017-08-22 05:27 PM | Reply

I love all the DR cons saying NPR puts them to sleep. Probably sounds like a medicinal chemistry lecture to their vocabulary-stunted minds.

Haven't truckers heard of podcasts?

#24 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-08-22 06:25 PM | Reply

All the long haul truckers I know and that's a lot have xm now. Or they use a laptop or phone to listen to whatever they want. Same with day cab drivers. I was/am a day cab driver I worked nights and listened to a lot of Art Bell.

I knew corky just did to many drugs and fried one to many brain cells and went liberal. Lol there is some conservative in there that escapes sometimes....

#25 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-08-22 06:58 PM | Reply

There's a nationally syndicated show called "Red Eye Radio" hosted by Eric Harley and Gary McNamara. They mostly discuss politics and current events but they occasionally have segments specific to the trucking industry. I used to listen to their show all of the time when I worked nights.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-22 07:15 PM | Reply

When I would make the Tally-Naples drive to visit the 'rents, it seemed like NPR would be playing jazz or obscure world music more than half of the time. No complaints there. And in the evenings there is always Delilah ;).

Nowadays I tune into sports radio on my ~30min commutes.

#27 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-08-22 07:21 PM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Humboldt County has a "Red Eye Radio" but it is a psychedelic-rock/reggae station.

#28 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-08-22 07:26 PM | Reply

very single driver I've ever talked to listens to NPR," said Murph
That guy does not know many truckers.

#29 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-08-22 08:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Art Bell, gave the X files credibility. Miss that guy.

#30 | Posted by Badcat at 2017-08-22 08:29 PM | Reply

Linbaugh's show could be 12 minutes long cause after that he just repeats himself.

I love NPR, science Friday, Freakonomics, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and everything else. Stories from everywhere and all sorts of folks you'd have never heard of and tales you,ve never of heard of.

Hell I'd consider believing in god if he would make Garrison Kieller 20 years younger.

I listen to KJZZ and I've never heard a,political agenda. And yes they play jazz in the evening.

#31 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-08-22 08:58 PM | Reply

science Friday, Freakonomics

Haha, somehow I forgot those podcasts were part of the NPR infrastructure... Great audio shows.

#32 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-08-22 09:05 PM | Reply

I being a trucker for 30 year now, used to listen to NPR all the time for the simple reason it was somehow always very clear, no matter where you were. "All Things Considered" was always a favorite. But nowadays with all the smartphone stuff and satellite radio I very seldom listen to regular terrestrial radio.

#33 | Posted by shane at 2017-08-22 09:23 PM | Reply

I find it hard to believe truckers listen to NPR by choice.

NPR always struck me as a bunch of elites talking like they were so smart with an air of condensation to the common man. Especially that All things considered, they just always sounded like a bunch of snobs.

#34 | Posted by boaz at 2017-08-23 12:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1