Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Arno Michaelis: After Charlottesville, many around the country and the world are talking about hate. I define hate as the willful denial of compassion, a lesson I learned from a Marxist who once told me, "I will never have an ounce of compassion for a Nazi!" It's a definition of hate I learned the hard way. I've come to understand this definition after a long journey, which includes seven years in hate groups as an active organizer, leader, recruiter and street fighter from 1987 to 1994. I recruited white people who were as angry as I was. I wallowed in violence during that time and got beat up as often as I beat anyone else up.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I came from two long lines of alcoholism that resulted in a lot of emotional violence in the household. That twisted my adrenaline junkie personality toward lashing out at other kids, which soon became a habit that required ever-escalating, anti-social behavior to be satisfied. By the time I was a teenager, and drinking myself, I was all too familiar with hate and violence. White power skinhead music gave it all a seductive, glorious meaning.

Being on the receiving end of violence never made me any less violent or filled with hate. What changed the course of my life was the profound courage extended to me by those I claimed to hate; their kindness, forgiveness and compassion destroyed my narrative of oppression.

Comments

Now that was a good article.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-16 06:53 AM | Reply

#1 what did you like about it?

#2 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-17 07:23 AM | Reply

So, "all you need is love".... except there is no room for love in anything the Government ever says or does. Its up to each individual, "the love you take is equal to the love you make"....

#3 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-08-17 07:23 AM | Reply

Trump is defunding programs to help people leave hate groups.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-17 07:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This article is more of treat white people with infinite kindness and treat everyone else with cold harsh punishment.

The same arguments are made for rich vs poor.

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-17 10:03 AM | Reply

This article doesn't account for irrational actors. No amount love or kindness will stop the hate of a diseased mind. If we were dealing with rational actors in the alt-right, the alt-right wouldn't have the influence it currently does and there wouldn't be an explicit need to condemn nazis marching through American streets.

Case in point:

"Mary Esselman - Writer, My 13-year-old son and I stood by ourselves on the corner down the street from the synagogue, in front of the Catholic Church, trying to walk back home but interrupted by a stream of white extremist marchers, with their signs and firearms and crazy regalia. I felt like an idiot but tried to look each in the eye and said, "Peace," and "Peace be with you," with as much sincerity as I had in me, trying to reach some humanity in them, and they jeered and mocked me, called me what you might imagine, told my son, Luke, that his mom was a this and a that. And now I learn that my son and labradoodle and I, and our little "peace be with you"s are apparently "alt-left.""

From TONYROM's comment #1 here: www.drudge.com