Sunday, August 13, 2017

The "Unite the Right" gathering wasn't a Klan rally at all. It was a pride march.

But the images we saw in Charlottesville today and yesterday convey an entirely different sort of threat. They draw their menace not from what is there -- mostly, young white men in polos and T-shirts goofily brandishing tiki torches -- but from what isn't: the masks, the hoods, the secrecy that could at least imply a sort of shame.

We used to whisper these thoughts, the new white supremacists suggest. But now we can say them out loud. The "Unite the Right" rally wasn't intended to be a Klan rally at all.

It was a pride march.

The shameless return of white supremacy into America's public spaces seems to be happening by degrees, and quickly.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

It wasn't until most journalists left the conference of the innocuously named "National Policy Institute" in November that my colleague Daniel Lombroso captured Richard Spencer leading the attendees in open Nazi salutes.

Spencer's intention -- to make normal that gesture and all the sentiments that underpin it -- is no more secret than the identities of his tiki torch-wielding bannermen. "I don't see myself as a marginal figure who's going to be hated by society," Spencer said to Daniel. "I see myself as a mainstream figure."

It would recently have been normal for a president to condemn in harsh tones the participants in a march for white supremacy on the streets of an American city. Today it is not.

Comments

When will Trump denounce these racist bastards followers who did this!

The Hell with trump and his racist KKK Nazi Alt-Right followers!

#1 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 12:57 AM | Reply

If ONLY something could've been done to prevent this...and nuclear war...

But alas, the DNC ignored middle-America's desperate desire to not make it to 2018 intact.

#2 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 01:21 AM | Reply

#2 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08

Yeah the DNC should of ran one of the most hated politicians in America today and cheat for her then have that politician spend a huge chunk of that time partying and begging money from the top 1 percenters instead of campaigning in states that needed to be campaigned in.

and then that politician should say that she takes advice and a close friend of a person who has been involved with the death of over 6 million people oh say like henry kissinger.

oh wait a second thy did

I am soon going to plunk you one trick pony lady because you have nothing to say except you're one trick

#3 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 01:46 AM | Reply

Bernie Sanders

@SenSanders

No, Mr. President. This is a provocative effort by Neo-Nazis to foment racism and hatred and create violence. Call it out for what it is. twitter.com ...
2:41 PM - Aug 12, 2017

#4 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 02:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You're perspective is so biased as a Buster you sound as misinformed as a Trumpet. Plonk me, stick your head in the sand and use your old polling place as a fallout shelter for all I care. You helped make this happen.

You can twist it to the point that Hillary was the 19th hijacker if want. I get it, DWS was a known partisan, Bernie was a lifelong independent running as a insurgent partisan. Trump was a legitimate threat to the Republic. Hillary wasn't. Those were your effing choices of consequence.

No, go prance away and plonk me. Trust me, there are other things going on of real consequence in the world. Besides, it's not like I'm trying to remind your hopeless ass. I'm reminding everyone else of how awesome your righteousness really is! The fact that you I think I writing that just to you highlights what a special unique unicorn you really are.

#5 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 02:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Predictive text...grr. But you get the point....plonk ! Me !

#6 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 02:19 AM | Reply

Damn someone woke up all cranky and stuff. I hope they get to feeling better.

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-13 02:54 AM | Reply

I have not twisted anything but you are completely delusional and about what happened hillary did indeed do everything I said including praising a mass killer like kissinger and said she took his advice and the DNC did cheat for hillary and she did attend 1 percenters parties instead of campaigning in states that she needed to campaign in.

as for hillary being no threat she was threatening a war with Russia in Syria, hillary even her self admitted her no fly zone in Syria would cost a huge amount of Syrians citizens lives.
but hey you didnt give a damn about any of that did you, hey she praised a person who killed millions of people no big deal brown people dying in syria no big deal right.

the other big thing that would of happen if hillary got elected we would of never gotten rid the neo-liberals in the Dem party, the Dem party would of been dead for the poor and working class people.

but I know you dont give any crap about any of this because she was a clinton and a Dem and thats all that matters to you.

Now ---- off

#8 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 03:04 AM | Reply

I'm reminding everyone else of how awesome your righteousness really is!
#5 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 02:18 AM | Re

Jesus, get a life.

What A self righteous ass YOU are.

#9 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 03:15 AM | Reply

I thought you plonked me?

#10 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 03:18 AM | Reply

All that mattered to me is that she wasn't Trump. I'd ask if you've hiding under a rock for the past two years but the answer to that is obvious.

#11 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 03:20 AM | Reply

Praising Kissinger.....or starting nuclear war....yeah.

#12 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 03:22 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY PUNCHYPOSSUM

You realize much of that rings pretty hollow, right?

We were ultimately ------ regardless of who won.

Unfortunately the unpredictable man child won, which was by far the worst of the two options.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2017-08-13 06:15 AM | Reply

Uhm I didnt vote for Trump and yes praising kissinger who was involved with the murder of 6 million people and hillary saying she takes his advice is a big deal dont you think? and wanting to start a war with russia in syria killing thousands is a big deal too.

besides dont you think it would make more since to stalk someone who actually voted for trump.

actually you shouldn't stalk anyone here

#14 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 06:16 AM | Reply

post 14 was for 12

#15 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 06:18 AM | Reply

Soooo..... Heil Trump! is Hillary's Fault in Purity Pony Land?

Figures.

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2017-08-13 06:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#16 Yep. We could have had Bernie.

#17 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-13 07:12 AM | Reply

Did you see my first post on this CORKY

"When will Trump denounce these racist bastards followers who did this!
The Hell with trump and his racist KKK Nazi Alt-Right followers!

#1 | Posted by PunchyPossum a"

I am blaming Trump and no one else

#18 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 07:19 AM | Reply

"Praising Kissinger.....or starting nuclear war....yeah."

Speaking of Kissinger, anyone remember who else was in the Oval Office the day Trump met with the Russians and assured them he had gotten rid of that nut job Comey? Man, so glad we dodged that bullet.

#19 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-08-13 07:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

yes both trump and hillary likes kissinger, it should tell you somthing about hillary

#20 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 08:10 AM | Reply

Trump still can't bring himself to blame the guilty parties, needs to pretend the blame is "from all sides." This President is not up to the task of being President. The sooner he is gone the better. He can't condemn Nazis, KKK, White Supremacists? He is unworthy of the Presidency and that idea is coming from all directions.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-13 08:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

BTW, these are the very people who Hillary rightly labeled as Trump's basket of deplorables. They are. Yes, she overshot the mark by suggesting there are more of these folks in Trump's base than there really are, but she wasn't wrong about who they are or about how Trump has catered/caved to them.

#22 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-08-13 08:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is EXACTLY why I screamed bloody murder about not stopping Trump's election. No we couldn't have had Bernie you idiot. He wasn't on the ballot November 8th...Your idiotic smugness looks worse and worse every day. It is my mission to never forget.

#23 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 10:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

BTW, are the hate crimes still a figment of my imagination? Nothingburger?

#24 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 10:10 AM | Reply

BTW, quit replying to me Punchy and PLONK me already. it's not as if your replies aren't the one trick pony of a spoiled kid who wrecks the Mustang the first week his parents buy it for him, so his helicopter parents buy him a new one so he can pretend it never happened. Who gives a damn about the people you injured in the wreck?

#25 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 10:17 AM | Reply

The people responsible for Trump are those who voted for Trump and who still support him.

#26 | Posted by Zed at 2017-08-13 10:50 AM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY JPW

Unpredictable my ass!

'Gosh, I stuck my hand in a pot of boiling water and got burned. So unpredictable. Nobody could have anticipated'...Trump Apologists.

#27 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2017-08-13 11:28 AM | Reply

- We could have had Bernie.

Says the demented Trump voter.

Bernie would't give you the time of day.

#28 | Posted by Corky at 2017-08-13 01:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

BTW, quit replying to me Punchy and PLONK me already.

#25 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-

look how out of control you are, you cant help but comment to me or about me.

yes I said I was going to plonk you soon on one post and I probably will.

you lack intelligence and self control and function mostly on a missed placed emotional level.

Grow up lady I didnt vote for trrump.

stop talking to me

#29 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-13 07:33 PM | Reply

Wow, hilarious. My intelligence is that I can make pragmatic decisions that benefit the greater good, my self control is that I stick with the plan, and I'm not the one who is the emotional roller coaster 'gonna plonk you, don't talk to me!!!!' You sound like Ryan Leaf for eff's sake. Plonk me already before you short circuit your keyboard from crying. Projecteth much?

I know you didn't vote for Trump but you support him since he was better than the great cankle Satan.

#30 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 09:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

No masks. Just regular looking guys. Clean cut. Open with their hate.

This is a Renaissance for hatred in this country.

The President supports it. Protects them.

He is attacking the CEO of Merck for disapproving of the neo-Nazis.

#31 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-14 10:09 AM | Reply

Damn someone woke up all cranky and stuff. I hope they get to feeling better.

#7 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2017-08-13 02:54 AM | FLAG:

I'm sure a nap and some graham crackers with milk will be all it takes....

#32 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-14 05:36 PM | Reply

"All that mattered to me is that she wasn't Trump."

If that really mattered to you and other Hillary supporters, maybe you should've looked how putting all your money on "Vote for candidate X because they're not Y" has historically been a losing strategy for both parties.

#33 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-08-15 02:41 AM | Reply

Speaking of hoods, it's ironic how the new Dr. Who was revealed by taking off her hood.

#34 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-08-15 02:42 AM | Reply

It was a pride march.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

#35 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-08-15 02:44 AM | Reply