Saturday, August 12, 2017

The Detroit Red Wings said they "vehemently disagree" with the use of their logo by far-right extremists at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Rally supporters and counterprotesters screamed, chanted, threw punches, hurled water bottles and unleashed chemical sprays on each other Saturday morning. At least one group was seen carrying placards with the Red Wings logo, drawing the response from the NHL team. "The Detroit Red Wings vehemently disagree with and are not associated in any way with the event taking place today in Charlottesville, Va.," the team said in a statement. "The Red Wings believe that hockey is for everyone and we celebrate the great diversity of our fan base and our nation. We are exploring every possible legal action as it pertains to the misuse of our logo in this disturbing demonstration."

Comments

I uess I'll never watch another redwing game.

#1 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-08-12 05:25 PM | Reply

I uess I'll never watch another redwing game.

#1 | POSTED BY SNIPER

I'm sure they're heartbroken.

#2 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2017-08-12 06:43 PM | Reply

I don't follow hockey, but I always believed it was a drunk White Person shootyhoops sportsball game. I don't even know if people of other races play on professional teams.

#3 | Posted by john47 at 2017-08-13 09:27 AM | Reply

Yeah, 'Red Winging' was definitely a term for that in the 90s...barf.

#5 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-08-13 02:44 PM | Reply

"I uess I'll never watch another redwing game."

So you identify with the white power then groups do ya?

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-08-13 03:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Of course he does, he's your typical low IQ alt-right loser.

#7 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-08-13 06:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The winged wheel is the most recognized professional sports team logo in the world.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-14 10:50 AM | Reply

The winged wheel more recognizable than the NYY hat, ManU kit, or Ferrari F1 apparel? Maybe, but could be a stretch.

#9 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-08-14 11:07 AM | Reply

I read it on the internet a few years ago, Noles and if it's one the internet it must be true.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-14 11:08 AM | Reply

I uess I'll never watch another redwing game.

#1 | POSTED BY SNIPER AT 2017-08-12 05:25 PM | FLAG:

Were you at the rally?

#11 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-14 01:27 PM | Reply

@jeffj
Heh heh, was it on Michigan.com? :P

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-08-14 03:19 PM | Reply

Funny. The Red Wings were easily able to denounce what was going on. Maybe Trump should hire their PR person so he can learn a thing or two.

#13 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-08-14 03:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1