Friday, August 11, 2017

The parking lot at your local retail store is packed but there seems to be an open space near the front door. As you pull into the space, it's been taken -- by a shopping.

It's annoying to see those carts with two wheels up on the curb taking up a prime spot, but are you also guilty of not returning shopping carts to the store or to the receptacles in the parking lot?

A blogger in Phoenix shared her frustration with the rogue carts. "It shouldn't bother me to see a rogue cart, but it does. Like ridiculously bothers me," Erica Jenkins wrote.

According to Scientific American, there are six reasons why people don't return carts:

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The receptacle is too far from where their car is parked; They have a child with them and don't want to leave them unattended; Bad weather; Disability; It's someone else's job; Leaving the cart for someone else to use.

Comments

Most of the time..

#1 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-08-11 10:21 AM | Reply

Yes, I do return the shopping carts because I feel it is disrespectful of the employees at the store not to do so. But then, I shop at Publix, where the employees treat me with respect and friendliness every day, I would never want to disrespect my friends there.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-11 10:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"My dad was the type of guy that would grab a few on his way in the store. Just the kind of man he was."

Too bad there isn't a "cool" flag. Your Dad deserved one.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-11 10:35 AM | Reply

You get your quarter back at Aldi's by returning your cart. It's an efficient way to keep the lot free of them and saves on personnel. Leave it to the Germans to do that.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2017-08-11 11:58 AM | Reply

Yep! I had the distinct pleasure of working at a Walmart in high school and partially in the summers during college, and I spent several 8 hour days doing nothing but bringing in shopping carts. And we didn't have one of those automated cart pushers either. I distinctly remember getting carts during an ice storm in January once. We couldn't leave until the lot was cleared, but apparently it was only my job to do it. I was covered in a sheet of ice at least 1/4" thick when I was done. I audibly crackled as I moved my joints.

What really irked me is that only boys would be hired as stickers to do this sort of work. Girls would almost exclusively be hired as cashiers, which carried with it an extra dollar an hour off the bat. Seriously pissed me off.

Working in parking lots so much has also made cutting across parking lines a pet peeve of mine. Follow the lanes!!

#5 | Posted by dylanfan at 2017-08-11 02:44 PM | Reply

I always do.

#6 | Posted by Jasper at 2017-08-11 11:24 PM | Reply

Depends on the store. If it's a mom and pop yes most definitely. Places like WalMart and Dillons hell no. By rights they should be delivering my groceries to my vehicle(Dillons) It's not the customer's job.

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-11 11:35 PM | Reply

Yep.

#8 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-08-12 01:40 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr

That's an ugly attitude to take...

#9 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-08-12 01:42 PM | Reply

krogers around the corner from starbucks......corner of strip center....

have problem with people pushing carts pretty far away to the apartments located behind it.....when you push the cart to the edge of the parking lot, the wheels lock up...

not sure what the tech is, but it works in every direction.....and NO...I didn't find out first hand....

#10 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2017-08-12 01:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Every damn time.

#11 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-08-12 02:03 PM | Reply

I always put my shopping cart in the cart return area. I also grab one of the carts that are already outside because in order for them to be out there, someone pushed them around the store and out to their car. They wouldn't have done that with one difficult to roll

#12 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-08-12 02:05 PM | Reply

And remember, Laura, that when you choose not to return your cart, the only person you are punishing is the poorly paid schmuck charged with collecting them.

#13 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-08-12 02:18 PM | Reply

If I use the self check out at Wal-Mart I don't put the cart back. I also won't block a parking stall with it though. My way of making sure they at least have to pay someone to do something.

Also I have made $1.50 so far at Aldi's from people leaving carts in the lot lol so a quarter is all it takes for me to retrieve a cart and work for them.

All other stores if they offer assistance to your car (especially for the elderly) I happily return the cart. My local Hy-Vee always ask people if they have lot of groceries or they are disabled, or elderly. I have taken groceries to someone's car once because the Hy-Vee was busy (every cashier lane open busy) and the older lady would've had to wait a while to get help. Lol it just so happened so parked right next to me so worked out nicely.

#14 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-08-12 02:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I pulled into a grocery store parking lot one time and I park. some asshat left his cart in the middle of the lot (sort of between spots) and walked away while it rolled into my car and broke a taillight, the guy just drove off. Cost me a few hundred dollars to fix as I recall

#15 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-08-12 05:08 PM | Reply

Yes... Always.

#16 | Posted by Billjohnson at 2017-08-12 07:17 PM | Reply

Where I live we have to pay for trash pick up so when I'm at the local whole foods I fill it with my trash and set it rolling towards a Volvo or Subaru on good a Lexus.

#17 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-08-12 09:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Depends on the store. I always do at Costco, Sams Club and Giant Food. When I rarely shop at Target or Walmart I usually don't because they don't have those outdoor cart corals. It's too far to walk back into the store.

#18 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2017-08-13 09:50 PM | Reply